Incoming Freshman Class

Is 200 good?
200 is good. That should be the target goal each year.

It's going to be more challenging b/c Visi (after this year) will be sending 15-20 less kids to Elder each year. Hopefully Elder continues to fill the gaps with an increased presence from public school kids. Also, I'm told Ignatius is sending quite a few 8th graders to Elder next year (including the son of LaSalle's current defensive coordinator). Elder needs to grow the Ignatius pipeline.

It's going to be more challenging b/c Visi (after this year) will be sending 15-20 less kids to Elder each year. Hopefully Elder continues to fill the gaps with an increased presence from public school kids. Also, I'm told Ignatius is sending quite a few 8th graders to Elder next year (including the son of LaSalle's current defensive coordinator). Elder needs to grow the Ignatius pipeline.
15-20 less kids from Visitation just because they're getting smaller? Or more split between Taylor/X/Oak Hills?

Also how did that happen with the LS DC's kid ending up at Elder? Even if he has friends going to Elder, seems like a no brainer to go where dad coaches.

I think 200 should be the minimum goal each yr. I’ve said for many years, Ignatius and to a lesser extent James, should be higher priorities in terms of enrollment. I’d still like to see them do better with “Central Area” feeders (Barts, Vivian, Clement). Elder has the resources to out muscle Bacon on some kids and should do whatever they can to create a pipeline in that area.

I’m not saying the should make it goal to put Bacon out of business, or any other Catholic high school, but they also shouldn’t give a damn about the health of any other school. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the way of the world and it’s only going to get tougher.

I think Elder and other Catholic Schools should really try and take advantage of Walnut Hills balking on the idea of in person learning. Have even heard 6ft of Social Distancing will never be possible at the current WHHS.

I think 200 should be the minimum goal each yr. I’ve said for many years, Ignatius and to a lesser extent James, should be higher priorities in terms of enrollment. I’d still like to see them do better with “Central Area” feeders (Barts, Vivian, Clement). Elder has the resources to out muscle Bacon on some kids and should do whatever they can to create a pipeline in that area.

I’m not saying the should make it goal to put Bacon out of business, or any other Catholic high school, but they also shouldn’t give a damn about the health of any other school. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the way of the world and it’s only going to get tougher.
I’m pretty sure 10+ kids went to Bacon from St. I’s last year, which was more than the 1 or 2 that went to Elder. And if I’m remembering correctly, I think at least 5 kids from Lourdes went to Bacon too.

I’m pretty sure 10+ kids went to Bacon from St. I’s last year, which was more than the 1 or 2 that went to Elder. And if I’m remembering correctly, I think at least 5 kids from Lourdes went to Bacon too.
And Elder still has more $ and resources than Bacon, which they need to leverage. Let’s not act like Bacon is cherry picking kids away from Elder.

15-20 less kids from Visitation just because they're getting smaller? Or more split between Taylor/X/Oak Hills?

Also how did that happen with the LS DC's kid ending up at Elder? Even if he has friends going to Elder, seems like a no brainer to go where dad coaches.
Yes, Visi is getting smaller. Going from 100 kids per grade and dropping to 60-70 in some classes.

LaSalle D Coordinators kid wants to try for QB and the LaSalle head coach's kid has that position locked up. Elder is very excited to have him.

Yes, Visi is getting smaller. Going from 100 kids per grade and dropping to 60-70 in some classes.

LaSalle D Coordinators kid wants to try for QB and the LaSalle head coach's kid has that position locked up. Elder is very excited to have him.
Speaking of QBs, there’s a Guidugli coming in from Lourdes. However, I think he’s a RB.

Elder is getting a good basketball player from St Clement in this incoming class.

Speaking of QBs, there’s a Guidugli coming in from Lourdes. However, I think he’s a RB.

Yes I could see Guildugli playing LB @ Elder, probably not qb.

Who is Lasalles D coordinators son who is headed to Elder. Is that the kid who was at St Susanana originally?

Yes I could see Guildugli playing LB @ Elder, probably not qb.

Who is Lasalles D coordinators son who is headed to Elder. Is that the kid who was at St Susanana originally?
McLaughlin’s kid is from Susanna. I can’t remember the DC’s name, but I thought he’s been at LS a while, even before McLaughlin. Is the Guidulgi Gino’s son or nephew?

Last edited:
I’d say it’s pretty good, especially with the chaos around the pandemic. Elder doesn’t seem to have been hurt too badly, but Catholic school enrollment around the country is at an all time low.

That has been the trend for a long time. It will be interesting to see what happens though due to what many public schools have done to kids. As I mentioned in the other thread, my kid's grade school (Cbus) has a waitlist for next year in every grade. They have never had a waitlist for any grade before.

That has been the trend for a long time. It will be interesting to see what happens though due to what many public schools have done to kids. As I mentioned in the other thread, my kid's grade school (Cbus) has a waitlist for next year in every grade. They have never had a waitlist for any grade before.
It’s a catch 22. I think parents are seeing the value in not being tied strictly to Govt Control, but at the same time, Economic Uncertainty is still incredibly high.

Is it due to Edchoice?

Is it due to Edchoice?

Not my kid's school, no. There is a movement nationwide to expand school choice though. 2 families I know have reached out to me (1 already switched, the other on the waitlist) - neither family is Catholic. They are switching from Upper Arlington schools - so, not poor-performing districts.

Not my kid's school, no. There is a movement nationwide to expand school choice though. 2 families I know have reached out to me (1 already switched, the other on the waitlist) - neither family is Catholic. They are switching from Upper Arlington schools - so, not poor-performing districts.
Is UA in person, hybrid or remote? Or is it something else entirely?

Is UA in person, hybrid or remote? Or is it something else entirely?

They've been hybrid. But they are now going back. The teachers voted to "work to the rule" (I think that's what it's called). So, they will only work 8:00-4:00.

Last edited:
McLaughlin’s kid is from Susanna. I can’t remember the DC’s name, but I thought he’s been at LS a while, even before McLaughlin. Is the Guidulgi Gino’s son or nephew?

Gino’s nephew(I think). Dad is a Guidulgi, who married a Kelsey. LaSalle DC if still same guy, I believe last name is Roden.

Last edited:
Gino’s nephew. Dad is a Guidulgi, who married a Kelsey. LaSalle DC if still same guy, I believe last name is Roden.
I know Gino has 2 boys as well. However, he’s the QB Coach on Fickell’s staff at UC. When (not if) Fickell leaves, he’s probably taking Gino with him. That’s assuming he doesn’t get poached by another school before that.

I know Gino has 2 boys as well. However, he’s the QB Coach on Fickell’s staff at UC. When (not if) Fickell leaves, he’s probably taking Gino with him. That’s assuming he doesn’t get poached by another school before that.

Possibly on Gino leaving with Fickell. I believe Gino still resides in NKY and if he is around here at the time his kids get to High School it will be Highlands or Cov Cath.

Possibly on Gino leaving with Fickell. I believe Gino still resides in NKY and if he is around here at the time his kids get to High School it will be Highlands or Cov Cath.
I say it all the time, I hate the rule blocking NKY kids from playing sports in OH. Kids in Ft Thomas can get to Elder faster than kids living out in Cleves.

You’re right about Bacon getting around 10 from St. I’s last year but Elder got 6 from there last year not 1 or 2.

That’s a shocker and great news for Elder. He was easily one of the best players in the league last year. Maybe Ignatius is finally starting to turn some. Most of the coaches over there on the younger levels are Elder guys.

I say it all the time, I hate the rule blocking NKY kids from playing sports in OH. Kids in Ft Thomas can get to Elder faster than kids living out in Cleves.

Agreed if they ever changed that rule it would have the potential to be big for Elder. It takes only about 10 minutes to get to Elder from Ft Thomas, Covington and Newport.

Agreed if they ever changed that rule it would have the potential to be big for Elder. It takes only about 10 minutes to get to Elder from Ft Thomas, Covington and Newport.
Why would people jump to Elder from NKY instead of Cov Cath, or any of the other Catholic High schools in NKY? Not trying to pick a fight, genuinely curious.