IN FREAKING CREDIBLE VIDEO OF LANDING ON MARS

How long does it take for the video to make it back to Earth?
Google is saying about 14 minutes for the communication. 3 or so minutes for light at a closest approach but there are other factors adding to that. I didn't read into the details.

Very cool.

How long until the conspiracy theorists start pointing all of the indicators this was done in a studio or through CGI?

What is the atmosphere of Mars made of that allowed parachutes to work?

I think it's more about density than make-up. Google says, Earth is 100 times denser.... Mars has lower gravity though.

I don't think I'll volunteer for first jump.

Very cool.

How long until the conspiracy theorists start pointing all of the indicators this was done in a studio or through CGI?

post 2 :D

NASA Sent a Secret Message to Mars. Meet the People Who Decoded It.
Engineers hinted they had hidden a code in the parachute that landed the Perseverance rover. Within hours, puzzle enthusiasts cracked it.

"For each orange section on the Perseverance parachute, Maxence Abela and his father wrote down a 1, and for each white section, they assigned a 0. That translated into a long string of 1s and 0s.

They thought that perhaps the digits could be rearranged into a picture, like the message that scientists broadcast in 1974 from the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico to tell distant alien civilizations of humans on Earth.

“We couldn’t find anything that looked like anything,” Mr. Abela said.

They tried breaking up the digits into groups of 8 — a common practice used in computer programming — but that too yielded gibberish.

Then the elder Mr. Abela noticed that the digits seemed to fit in groups of 10. “Every 10 bits, there would be three zeros in a row,” Maxence Abela said. That, they decided, was not a coincidence.

Still, the resulting numbers did not make sense until they realized they had read the 1s and 0s in the wrong direction, anticlockwise instead of clockwise. When they wrote down the digits in the opposite order, the 10-digit chunks of binary code translated into small numbers, which could then be assigned to letters. The number 1 corresponded to the letter A, the number 2 was B, 3 was C, 4 was D and so on.

The message on the inner three rings: “DARE MIGHTY THINGS.”

This is a credo often cited at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, which built and operates Perseverance. It comes from “The Strenuous Life,” a speech by Teddy Roosevelt in 1899: “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

There were still some numbers and letters in the fourth ring that neither Abela could make sense of. Those turned out to be the longitude and latitude of the NASA center: 34°11’58” N 118°10’31” W.

“If you look in Google Earth, if you type in those coordinates, I think you’re about 10 feet from the door of the JPL visitor center,” Dr. Clark said.
In the evening, Adam Steltzner, the chief engineer for Perseverance, posted an annotated diagram explaining the solution.

In the evening, Adam Steltzner, the chief engineer for Perseverance, posted an annotated diagram explaining the solution.

mars1.JPG