If you were the coach!

Old Wildcat

Ok hypothetically what would you do if the unthinkable happens and theres no high school baseball. I pray this doesnt happen but I think its inevitable. My question is and with what's going on in the world maybe a silly question. You have 3 seniors that started as freshmen and would be a 4 year Letterman. Even tho theres no season would you give those 3 seniors there 4 year award? I would but anxious to see what others think.

Ok hypothetically what would you do if the unthinkable happens and theres no high school baseball. I pray this doesnt happen but I think its inevitable. My question is and with what's going on in the world maybe a silly question. You have 3 seniors that started as freshmen and would be a 4 year Letterman. Even tho theres no season would you give those 3 seniors there 4 year award? I would but anxious to see what others think.
Not that it means much but I would.

Last edited:
They made the team didn't they?

No different than if they made the team and then got hurt in a scrimmage, causing them to miss the entire season.

Slippery slope..if Seniors are recognized so should others. What's the difference?
Agreed, does the jr that was going to be a 3 year letter winner this year not get his 4 year next year bc we didnt play.
If they were going to be on the varsity then they letter, if they werent they dont.

Agreed, does the jr that was going to be a 3 year letter winner this year not get his 4 year next year bc we didnt play.
If they were going to be on the varsity then they letter, if they werent they dont.

Exactly, only fair way to do it. Luckily, we had our Varsity/JV squads already selected prior to this craziness.

That being said, there certainly is no guarantee that every player (we are keeping 14) on Varsity would have rec'd the required playing time to letter. And I'm sure there would have been a few JV players that would have had an opportunity to letter. We haven't discussed it as a staff but I would agree to everyone on Varsity receiving a letter this year.

High schools like ours already had V/JV and Frosh teams picked. Just reward them based on that as to where they fell in line prior to the virus. They all get whatever letter they were going to get at the end of the year so as to not disrupt a freshman, sophomore or junior from getting continuous letters for each year they played, therefore next spring we will still have 3 and 4 yr Lettermen to reward at the spring banquet. Everyone will understand and you avoid any bad feelings from parents, why make everyone's life more difficult by holding it back from kids who had no control of this crazy situation?

LOL, good response.. and not a fan of Oprah...the underlying message was keep the parents happy and you will have less distractions next year. Lord knows we have enough over parenting in all sports now. Just my advise to the other guys out there if you want to keep peace and harmony from an old salty guy.

LOL, good response.. and not a fan of Oprah...the underlying message was keep the parents happy and you will have less distractions next year. Lord knows we have enough over parenting in all sports now. Just my advise to the other guys out there if you want to keep peace and harmony from an old salty guy.
Lol were brothers from a different mother. I'm an old salty guy to

At the end of the day, this really doesnt mean a thing. Hell, give every kid on the varsity a letter if the season does indeed get banged, which I expect will be announced soon.

How tough is this stay home now that he weather is getting better. Wasnt horrible the last week or so when it was raining, coldish, but man toady when the clouds burned off its nice out there...getting some projects started that i didnt think id get done until may

Every team member should/would get recognized the way they would after every regular Baseball season (though nothing regular about this season). Just would be gone about a bit differently than in the past!

Seniors are in the 12 grade, the others are not.
Those 9th graders will be 12th graders soon. I can see them asking why they are not 4 year varsity lettering when they forget the situation we're in right now. It is a slippery slope.

Really we need to get rid of these awards. I understand to get an award after winning a game but lettering is so watered down. The intrinsic is so much more important than the extrinsic. I only like giving awards where students work hard and meet or exceed their expectations. I've had so many athletes get a letter just because they are athletic and didn't put in hardly any effort. It's sad.

Given, those are the kids that have the parents that will complain to the coach.

I have what I refer to as my "cigarette money". It's what would get burned up if I smoked. With it I give two small ($500) scholarships each year, give another $150 a month to various charities,.... My point being talk to the prospective team members and get their feeling on taking the money it would cost for the awards and giving it to a local organization combatting this virus or something along these lines.

Those 9th graders will be 12th graders soon. I can see them asking why they are not 4 year varsity lettering when they forget the situation we're in right now. It is a slippery slope.

Really we need to get rid of these awards. I understand to get an award after winning a game but lettering is so watered down. The intrinsic is so much more important than the extrinsic. I only like giving awards where students work hard and meet or exceed their expectations. I've had so many athletes get a letter just because they are athletic and didn't put in hardly any effort. It's sad.

Given, those are the kids that have the parents that will complain to the coach.
eh....in a few years those kids wont know how many letters these seniors had.

It really doesn't mean a great deal unless your school has a special section for winners of 12 varsity letters or similar. But, by all means, give it to them as a "thank you" if nothing else.

Seriously. Is lettering still a thing?