If restaurants and gyms open next week will you be going?

LICKING COUNTY FAN

Do you think it will be safe to go back to the places listed in the heading?
Why?
Why not.
What places do you feel would be safe also what places won't you feel is safe to open?
Should be interesting to read how others feel.

Um.
Yeah.
I dont eat in restaurants very often so I am not sure when Ill get to sit down and eat in one. Especially now I got hooked on cooking my own meals, much cheaper and I eat less!

Gyms: Yeah. Locally owned one is trying to get the supplies the govt is saying they need. A few companies they contacted said they cannot ship to them because they have not yet been deemed "essential" by the govt and cannot get them. They are pretty miffed that it has taken the govt so long to give them guidelines on what was going to be needed to open their gym.

But I would have zero problem with going. Only 16 folks in the whole county have tested positive. Id me more likely to die driving to and fro than the boogeyman killing me.

Odds are I'll start going to the gym at some low volume time of day when/if they are allowed to re-open. They are scratching at the bit to open up May 1st with "precautions", the only question is if they are allowed.

Personally I'd probably wait a month to see the die-off. If it's going to be my last meal, I want to be able to choose wisely.

gym? lol Been awhile since I've seen the inside of one of those.

Restaurants? I can take or leave. I don't mind saving a few extra bucks by eating at home. Ironically, the restaurant I miss most is the Chinese takeout place 1/2 mile away. Good food with excellent value on their lunch specials. They decided very early on to close for the duration. I don't know if some knuckle draggers were stopping in to harass and threaten them which forced their hand.

Gyms? Eventually. However, I haven't used a public gym in 15 years. I work out at my school's weightroom. It's far less crowded, but it's also far less clean and organized than a public gym. My experience with public gyms was that they were very clean, but I hated the crowd. Spraying and wiping down all benches and machines after use was always a requirement, but few things were more annoying than getting to that last lift and having to wait forever while that particular machine was in use.

Regardless, I know where I've been, but I don't know where some of the other people in public have been. I'm not concerned about dying from the virus, but I've got some loved ones who wouldn't fare as well if they contract it. I'll sleep much better at night knowing I'm not the one elevating their risk of infection. Additionally, I don't relish the thought of contracting it and causing someone I don't know to have to go into quarantine for awhile because of me.

FWIW, I had a relative die from complications brought on by West Nile. I had a former HS teammate contract encephalitis from a mosquito bite while in college. He had to be life-flighted when his heart stopped beating. He survived, but his quality of life instantly went in the crapper. His short-term memory got fried, his motor skills and speech have suffered, and he lost at least 1 standard deviations off his IQ. As a result, I'm more sensitive than most to all the supposedly random diseases.

Last edited:
I’ll be going to the gym as soon as it opens. It was actually nice during that 1 week period before quarantine when nobody was there.i suspect it will be that way when they reopen

And to be clear, I understand why people would not be comfortable going to either. I don’t begrudge anyone for being cautious. I get annoyed with the people who say “6 feet apart or 6 feet underground” like this is the plague.

Um.
Yeah.
I dont eat in restaurants very often so I am not sure when Ill get to sit down and eat in one. Especially now I got hooked on cooking my own meals, much cheaper and I eat less!

Gyms: Yeah. Locally owned one is trying to get the supplies the govt is saying they need. A few companies they contacted said they cannot ship to them because they have not yet been deemed "essential" by the govt and cannot get them. They are pretty miffed that it has taken the govt so long to give them guidelines on what was going to be needed to open their gym.

But I would have zero problem with going. Only 16 folks in the whole county have tested positive. Id me more likely to die driving to and fro than the boogeyman killing me.
What supplies do they need?

Restaurant? Not for awhile yet. Will continue to get take out once or twice a week.

What's a gym?

Last edited:
Dying to get back to the gym, dying to sit down at my favorite chicken wing place for some chili and a beer.

Hold on a sec, let me rephrase that ........

What supplies do they need?
I imagine that sourcing mass quantities of disinfectants and cleaning supplies is difficult right now. Gyms will be needing plenty of it. Other businesses will also be using far more of it than they've used in a long time. I'm sure even finding gloves is difficult right now.

I wonder how many businesses that would fall under the category of those that would be allowed to open under Phase 1, especially smaller ones that have comparatively little purchasing power, will be able to acquire whatever materials they're going to need in order to meet the conditions that will allow them to open.

Yes and yes. I don't remember being at a restaurant where I've been closer than 6 ft. to anyone other than whom I'm there with. My guess is restaurants will be ordered to open at 1/2 capacity, the tables will be 20 ft. apart and they will still struggle because it's a volume business. Many will still continue to order carry out, we'll find out in a month or two that everything is hunky dory and we'll be back to normal.