IF NIL money comes to Ohio HS sports, how would you regulate it?

I doubt there will be anywhere close to enough NIL money for high school athletes for it to really matter. If schools leave the OHSAA, it'll be over the myriad of more pressing issues that have been causing tension.
Right. Even with those issues, I still don’t see schools leaving like that. Where would you go?🤣

Right. Even with those issues, I still don’t see schools leaving like that. Where would you go?🤣
Wouldn't necessarily be schools leaving, but didn't some made up school play IMG a couple years ago. Wasn't Braxton Miller trying to set up some sort of Midwestern IMG type school.

Wouldn't necessarily be schools leaving, but didn't some made up school play IMG a couple years ago. Wasn't Braxton Miller trying to set up some sort of Midwestern IMG type school.
Yep. I dont know the status of it as of now. I hope bruh-man pulls it off. Starting a school from the ground up is pretty hard.

It was somebody in California who paid $8.5 million for the former Urbana University property and then nothing came of it. Braxton Miller opened Springfield Sports Academy, a K-5 charter school, this school year.

That's a college deal. He's being paid to play for a certain college. From what I've read, deals struck while still in high school are with elite athletes in anticipation of imminent college fame, or small deals based on social media following as much as athletic achievement.

Too bad for the coaches who will have to deal with average athletes who are looking to become Twitter famous and make money using high school sports as a vehicle. Two of the players featured in BS High were doing exactly that.

Last edited:
It was somebody in California who paid $8.5 million for the former Urbana University property and then nothing came of it. Braxton Miller opened Springfield Sports Academy, a K-5 charter school, this school year.
Also coming from a famous family halos with the deals. Just look at bronny James.

That's a college deal. He's being paid to play for a certain college. From what I've read, deals struck while still in high school are with elite athletes in anticipation of imminent college fame, or small deals based on social media following as much as athletic achievement.

Too bad for the coaches who will have to deal with average athletes who are looking to become Twitter famous and make money using high school sports as a vehicle. Two of the players featured in BS High were doing exactly that.
Yes, but those deals I believe can only occur in states that have some type of NIL in place as that player is getting pd. before he enters college.

No, you're not. If a coach suspends a player because of a possible side NIL deal, he's likely doing the rest of his team a great service by not risking future games to be forfeited because of eligibility issues, at least under the current format. He'd be potentially acting in the best interest of his team (which is where the kids being cut during tryouts in other sports argument comes in), one of numerous defenses a coach would have is he suspended a kid for taking NIL; many of those other defenses have been delineated here.
Yes I am. Eligibility is the AD's job.

Having every head coach interpret and enforce eligibility issues would be a huge disservice.

Yes I am. Eligibility is the AD's job.

Having every head coach interpret and enforce eligibility issues would be a huge disservice.
“Hey coach, Tristan is telling the rest of the team what a lousy coach you are and started a petition in the community to get rid of you”

”Thanks, kid. I’ll check with the AD on whether or not I can put his butt on the bench” 🙄

“Hey coach, Tristan is telling the rest of the team what a lousy coach you are and started a petition in the community to get rid of you”

”Thanks, kid. I’ll check with the AD on whether or not I can put his butt on the bench” 🙄
a. That is not an issue of eligibility.

b. Tristan has every right to talk about what a lousy coach you are.

It's an issue of participation. Do you assert the coach has no authority to decide who plays?
Among other things, I coached four sports a total of fifty-five seasons.

I have two graduate degrees in school administration.

I know a lot more about my job than you do.

We used to tell players not to say or do anything that would help or motivate our opponents to defeat us.

Does that count?
Absolutely it does.

And coaches tell players not to cuss, to always answer with yes sir or no sir, and how to speak to people in general.

Coaches dictate what they wear on game day to school, how they wear their jerseys, what and how many "accessories" players can wear, etc.

Coaches also many times even regulate how loud and what kind of music can be played in weight room, locker room, and pregame. Coaches decide if the team is out on the field for the National Anthem, if they can protest during the game, and limit celebrations.

Coaches are always limiting these things and are allowed to because as already mentioned, football is a privilege, not a right.

Among other things, I coached four sports a total of fifty-five seasons.
Experience and competence are not synonyms.

But you evade: did all those degrees and experience teach you that a coach has no say in which kids see the field?

I have two graduate degrees in school administration.
Given the current state of public education, one might suggest that makes you part of the problem.

I know a lot more about my job than you do.
You get paid to wrong? Good work if you can get it -- but I'd never qualify.

Not football, but the reigning girls golf champion from New Albany, going into her Junior year, just accepted an NIL deal and forfeited her high school eligibility.

Not football, but the reigning girls golf champion from New Albany, going into her Junior year, just accepted an NIL deal and forfeited her high school eligibility.
I wouldn't call Golf, Tennis, Track/Field, Rifle, Skiing, Swimming, Bowling, Rodeo, etc a sport that is really based on the high school to college pipeline. If you're good, you're pro as fast as possible.

Don't quite see the logic there. She's not being paid to play, so what is the direct connection between her athletic accomplishments and compensation. What's the difference between that and the head of the local Parks Department hiring football players for a summer job?

Don't quite see the logic there. She's not being paid to play, so what is the direct connection between her athletic accomplishments and compensation. What's the difference between that and the head of the local Parks Department hiring football players for a summer job?
I agree with this. What is the necessity of having "amateur status" anyway? It's still just high school students playing high school sports. In this case it sounds like she's going pro and leaving high school golf behind but what exactly would be the issue if she did continue playing with her school team?

It gives the the opportunity to win prize money. Would likely forfeit college eligibility too if she actually did win prize money. I think a male college golfer won a tournament this summer but was not declared pro, so he didn't get the prize money and kept college eligibility.

It gives the the opportunity to win prize money. Would likely forfeit college eligibility too if she actually did win prize money. I think a male college golfer won a tournament this summer but was not declared pro, so he didn't get the prize money and kept college eligibility.
That's the point, a golfer won a tournament in the summer and if he receives no money he's eligible but if he receives some money for the exact same tournament he's ineligible. In the case of the high school golfer, if she signed with an agent she's ineligible for any high school athletics from that point on. You can't play golf in Ohio in the winter, so we're saying if a student signed with an agent in anticipation of a future LPGA career, that student cannot be allowed to participate in a girls JV basketball game because... why?