If fall sports coming back safely

SCC

Fall sports in OH are coming back...and pretty safely. Schools are reversing their decision to get rid of fall sports.

Will this leave winter sports to start on time? When is that decision made?

Who's involved in that decision?

Thanks

We're one week in. I'm going to give it a few weeks before I get too excited. Hopefully things are about the same or better by week 5-6 of football. We really need them to have no major outbreaks.

This.

I've got two that run cross country and masking is mandatory for everyone except for the runners when they are running. The conference has already had to send something out to parents about the state having people at meets and already witnessing people not masking. No matter what anyone thinks about the masking rule (especially outside - which does seem silly if social distancing), people shouldn't be giving them any reason to shut stuff down. While I don't remember seeing any high school parents not masking, there were several MS parents not wearing one at the meet we were at this past weekend.

We're one week in. I'm going to give it a few weeks before I get too excited. Hopefully things are about the same or better by week 5-6 of football. We really need them to have no major outbreaks.

I get it, you're totally right.

Just wondering when decisions will be made for winter sports.

This.

I've got two that run cross country and masking is mandatory for everyone except for the runners when they are running. The conference has already had to send something out to parents about the state having people at meets and already witnessing people not masking. No matter what anyone thinks about the masking rule (especially outside - which does seem silly if social distancing), people shouldn't be giving them any reason to shut stuff down. While I don't remember seeing any high school parents not masking, there were several MS parents not wearing one at the meet we were at this past weekend.

I get your point. But I see the parents' point too. My county, despite overreacting for everything, even said do NOT wear masks outside, the sunshine and fresh air are more important.

People are getting mixed messages.

Still, don't shut down the events.

Yea, my point was is that I don't expect to hear anything soon. The OHSAA's holding it's breath right now hoping they can get Football Playoffs. That's their focus now. Might be some coaching associations talking about ideas but not much discussion past that.

Reactions: SCC
My concern is the overreactions that we see with this. There will be "outbreaks" where one or two kids on a team will test positive, but as long as we do not have a full blown outbreak, I think we will be good. However, how will schools and the media react if a few kids test positive? Most likely there will be overreactions. Already saw it with North Olmsted's football team where they quarantined the whole team because one kid tested positive. Our district had a meeting with our county health commissioner and he even said that they were overreacting by doing that.

Don't believe for a second that the overreactions are 100% altruistic. Too much $$$ to be made by filing and winning lawsuits, and anyone in a position of Leadership must weigh those risks. In these tight times when every educational institution at every level is stretched far too thin, I think we can all pretty much guess what decision will be made. And before you say it (that I'm bashing attorneys), I am one!

And the reaction so far has been to shut teams down when kids test positive. Can you imagine a whole team being shut down mid season for two weeks. No practice, no organized lifting and no organized conditioning. I'd expect some weight issues

Coaching for wrestling begins 11/13. That is also the same date of the expected state championships for football. I think they will hold out as long as possible to make decisions on winter sports. If football gets thu, we have a chance. Might be modified schedule.

Coaching for wrestling begins 11/13. That is also the same date of the expected state championships for football. I think they will hold out as long as possible to make decisions on winter sports. If football gets thu, we have a chance. Might be modified schedule.

I hope you're right. An 11/15 (?) start date would be great. Contests begin Dec 5. That means reasonable schedule of Dec 5. 12, 19; Jan 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Feb 6, 13, 20.

A Modified schedule to address safety precautions, as discussed on other threads, is perfectly fine by me. With quad up to 6-team dual events on Saturdays, you could easily get 30+ matches, followed by a league tournament, then start sectionals.

Big tournaments get cancelled for a year, but with 30 matches available, there is plenty of room for good pairings and wrestlers get plenty of mat time.