Iconic concerts attended.

Thavoice

What iconic acts have you seen live, and also include, as a question, some you are not sure if they are iconic.

Iconic:
AC DC
Garth Brooks
Guns and Roses.
Journey. (Boring)

Iconic?: Def Leppard?
Eric Church? (I think in a decade this will be seen as iconic)

Kiss
Aretha Franklin
Rush
Booker T. Jones
Bob Seger
Ashford & Simpson
AC-DC
Foreigner's Lou Gramm (with early band Black Sheep)
Cheap Trick

Possible:
Ted Nugent
Joan Jett
Black Sabbath (with Ronnie James Dio instead of Ozzy, and Vinnie Appice on drums)

Last edited:
Rolling Stones
Chicago
Moody Blues
Sammy Hagar
Paul McCartney recent and with Wings
Stevie Ray Vaughn , front row, security took my doobie, lit it then passed it back...
Alan Jackson
The Firm
Rush
Pink Floyd
Kid Rock
Alice Cooper
Grateful Dead
Molly Hatchet
Deep Purple
Styx
Neil Young... last song Joe Walsh steps out and they shred for 10 min to "Tonight the night" until their stings are gone.
ZZ Top
The Kinks
Kansas
Steely Dan

Last edited:
Rush (19 times)
GNR at Dayton the night Axel come on stage 2 hours late.
Kiss (3 times)
Boston (5 times)
REO (5 times)
Styx ( 3 times)
Journey
Deep Purple
Bad Company
Loverboy
Molly Hatchet
Night Ranger (4 times)
Primus
Christopher Cross (up there with my favorites..great entertainer)
Motley Crue (1983/84 at Ft. Wayne)
Garth Brooks (my wife made me)
Alabama (amazing!)
Chicago
Ozzy (3 times)
Maynord Ferguson
Gordon Lightfoot
Ted Nugent
.38 Special

Concert that I most wished I would have seen..DIO.

Last edited:
It’s been a while but:
Springsteen 2x
Heart
Duran Duran
Janet Jackson
Huey Lewis
Billy Joel
Warren Zevon
Fleetwood Mac
REO Speedwagon

Last edited:
I've seen a number of concerts but I'm not sure they'd necessarily be considered iconic, but I'll toss these out there:
Paul McCartney 2x (took my 4 boys to see him several years ago).
Bon Jovi (saw them open for .38 Special at the Toledo Sports Arena).
Prince (Purple Rain tour)

Love live music and have attended too many to list. Here are my favorites that I consider fall into Iconic Status:

Allman Brothers Band
Jimmy Buffet
B-52s
Bob Dylan (Multiple Times)
* Bruce Spingsteen (Multiple Times)
Crosby, Stills & Nash
* David Bowie
* Dizzy Gillespie
ELO
* Eric Church (Multiple Times)
Foo Fighters
* Grateful Dead (Multiple Times)
John Fogerty
John Mayer
Journey
Miles Davis
Moody Blues
* P-Funk (Multiple Times)
* Peter Gabriel (Multiple Times)
Robert Plant
* Rolling Stones (Multiple Times)
Santana (Multiple Times)
The Band
Tom Petty
* U2 (Multiple Times)
Willie Nelson
* Zac Brown Band (Multiple Times)

* = Exceptional Shows

I'm sure I am forgetting some and others like David Byrne, Tool, and Wilco are iconic in my book but not sure how a wider audience consider these acts.

U2, Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, and Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. U2 and Green Day put on the best shows imo. RHCP were the most disappointing NOT because of the performance but because they only played an hour and a half. Pearl Jam played for like 3 hours lol It was great. Fav live song was probably Tom Pettys Learning to Fly.

Great list of shows, Auggie.

"I'm sure I am forgetting some and others like David Byrne, Tool, and Wilco are iconic in my book but not sure how a wider audience consider these acts."

Never saw Tool but Byrne and Wilco occupy a parallel dimension.

I've seen a number of concerts but I'm not sure they'd necessarily be considered iconic, but I'll toss these out there:
Paul McCartney 2x (took my 4 boys to see him several years ago).
Bon Jovi (saw them open for .38 Special at the Toledo Sports Arena).
Prince (Purple Rain tour)
BoN Jovi..opening up for .38 special..about what year?

Saw a ton in the day but these stand out:
Rush
Boston
Journey with Gregg Rollie on keyboards
Marshall Tucker with McGuffey Lane as opener in Athens
Allman Brothers (after Duane's death)
Legend Valley ca. 1982 - Willie, Waylon, Hank , Jr., in a mud pit along with a few thousand bikers.

BoN Jovi..opening up for .38 special..about what year?
I was still in HS...guessing '86 or '87...Sports Arena was a dive, but you could get really close to the band. I always regretted that I turned down a chance to see AC/DC. I had a summer league baseball game that I didn't want to miss, what the hell was I thinking?

My four most iconic and famous (and infamous) concerts:

Queen, "Sheer Heart Attack Tour", February 7, 1975, Dayton (Palace Theater). Kansas was also on the bill. Cold as all get-out in a small, old, downtown Dayton movie theater. Probably held about a thousand. Not even a sellout. We sat about 10-15 rows back. I was a Senior in high school and we never heard of the band Queen, but a friend said they were big in England (spoiler alert: they later became really big everywhere!). Tickets were cheap (around $4.50-5.00), so we went. My memory: we were totally mesmerized by Freddie Mercury and his singing, dancing and theatrics, even though we had no idea who he was. I remember my friend saying, "I would give my left nut to sing like that guy."

Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Gimme Back My Bullets Tour", May 15, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). Ted Nugent opened, followed by Santana...a head-scratcher combination of acts. Santana was booed off the stage...the Cincituckians were there for Skynyrd and getting restless...they tolerated Nugent, but not Santana. Earlier, we went to a 5:30 Reds game and then walked over to the show after the game. Great night. Ronnie Van Zant and the boys put on an awesome live show.

The Stills-Young Band, "Long May You Run Tour", July 14, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). Neil Young pulled a now legendary douche move and left in the middle of the tour on July 20. Luckily, we saw him just six days earlier. Poco was the opening act. A really good night.

Led Zeppelin, "1977 North America Tour", April 20, 1977, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum--2nd night in Cincy). Tour was cancelled in August due to death of Robert Plant's son. No opening act. Legendary performance.

Kiss
Aretha Franklin
Rush
Booker T. Jones
Bob Seger
Ashford & Simpson
AC-DC
Foreigner's Lou Gramm (with early band Black Sheep)
Cheap Trick

Possible:
Ted Nugent
Joan Jett
Black Sabbath
I'd say yes to all three of your possibles

Black Sabbath (With Ozzy, With Dio, With Gillan)
Judas Priest
Ozzy Osbourne
Iron Maiden
Nirvana
Tool
Slayer
Metallica

I've seen hundreds of bands live, mostly metal bands so not sure what would be iconic?

White Zombie/Rob Zombie?
Danzig?
System of a Down?
Disturbed?
Godsmack?
Megadeth?
Jethro Tull?

Rolling Stones
Chicago
Moody Blues
Sammy Hagar
Paul McCartney recent and with Wings
Stevie Ray Vaughn , front row.
Alan Jackson
The Firm
Rush
Pink Floyd
Kid Rock
Alice Cooper
Grateful Dead
Molly Hatchet
Deep Purple
Styx
Forgot. Gotta add Styx

August 30, 1994 Rolling Stones, Riverfront Stadium Cincinnati, Ohio - Voodoo Tour
August 22, 1983 Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Bogarts, Cincinnati, Ohio
July 10, 1994 Bonnie Rait, Riverbend, Cincinnati, Ohio
Every time I saw H-Bomb Ferguson at the Blue Note, Cincinnati, Ohio
Any of my five Springsteen Concerts
Any of my four John Mellencamp concerts
January 2001 Ralph Stanley, Southgate House, Newport, Kentucky

Last edited:
What iconic acts have you seen live, and also include, as a question, some you are not sure if they are iconic.

Iconic:
AC DC
Garth Brooks
Guns and Roses.
Journey. (Boring)

Iconic?: Def Leppard?
Eric Church? (I think in a decade this will be seen as iconic)
Def Leppard is definitely iconic.

Black Sabbath (With Ozzy, With Dio, With Gillan)
Judas Priest
Ozzy Osbourne
Iron Maiden
Nirvana
Tool
Slayer
Metallica

I've seen hundreds of bands live, mostly metal bands so not sure what would be iconic?

White Zombie/Rob Zombie?
Danzig?
System of a Down?
Disturbed?
Godsmack?
Megadeth?
Jethro Tull?
Not a big Dave on vocals guy but I think Megadeth is iconic. I'd put them slightly above Tool and Slayer.

He was Cougar Mellencamp when I saw him! LOL. He was doing double headliner shows with Heart. Damn I'm old.
He always hated the John Cougar thing that the label stuck him with,

You know, I included Ralph Stanley on my list and it truly was one of the best concerts I've attended, but I wonder how many other even know who he is.

Def Leppard
Duran Duran
Fleetwood Mac (the entire band)
Guns N Roses
Foo Fighters
Goo Goo Dolls
Van Halen (not Van Hagar)

Random one - Kool in the Gang x2. They opened for Van Halen in Pittsburgh and then saw them at the Rockcino a few months later on their own.

Been wanting to see Cougar Mellenkamp but he has been as so small venues the Tix were insane.

Kiss-was deciding on the local March or September show, chose September but the longer this goes.....I should check if that is cancelled.

Guns and Roses announced their rescheduled tour from next year. Saw them on 2017.....loved it. No opening, just three hours of mayhem!