Hudson vs Massillon Perry

Hudson moved the ball pretty easily, they just failed to convert a few times inside the Perry 5. Hudson had first and goal from the Perry 7 and 1st and goal from the Perry 2 and they only ended up with 6 points. I think Hudson only had 7 drives the entire game--5 of which went inside the Perry 5. Neither offense could be stopped. I thought Perry executed very well on the offensive end. They were perfect when they got the ball inside the Hudson 5, including a huge TD from the 5 on the last play of the first half.

Hudson returns a ton next year. They should be very, very good and the QB might be a sleeper pick for Mr. Ohio.

Hudson’s pace was crazy tonight. That Paltani kid is a great athlete. Just kept getting back up all night.

Even though everyone says Perry is about ball control and slow methodical drives, they can score points. You have to wrap/tackle Perry kids because you’re not knocking them down.

Plain and simple, Perry out-physicaled Hudson, Hudson's had a great game plan until they were punched in the face, especially Hudson's defense

Perry football haunts Hudson again
Steve Doerschuk
Nov 08, 2019 11:15 PM
PERRY TWP. Tybee Island in Georgia can scare people off with its ghost stories, but it is the favorite vacation haunt of Hudson football coach Jeff Gough.
Gough's next trip to Tybee is sure to include tales of the mysterious cats who appear like an apparition every November. The scary part: The only times he ever has to start thinking about the Perry Panthers, his season is about to end.

So it went Friday night when Perry wore down Hudson in a 37-27 Division II playoff game that sent the Panthers into a second-round showdown against Massillon at a site to be determined.
Hudson won three Division II playoff games in 2015 before running into Perry in the state semifinals at the neutral site of Solon. Against a defense coordinated by Gough, the Panthers pounded out a 10-7 win.
Hudson again won three D-II playoff games to advance to the 2016 state semis, again against Perry, this time with the neutral site being Lake. Gough had taken over as head coach, replacing Ron Wright, for whom he had played at Hudson 10 years earlier. Perry won again, 14-3.
Gough advised his team to buckle up.
"I told our guys this would be the most physical game they've been in probably in their careers," he said. "That's how they roll."
Perry head coach Keith Wakefield, as always stoic in shorts (it was 25 degrees), played a mad-bomber card in the biggest moment of the game.
Hudson was on the verge of going into halftime with a monster momentum swing. Perry had the ball in good field position with a chance to grow a lead just before the break, but a big hit and fumble recovery by Brendan Demuynck gave the Explorers possession in Perry territory.
A third-and-12 strike over the middle from quarterback Jake Paltani to Luke McLaughlin set up Drew Lightner's 1-yard TD with 1:04 left to give Hudson a 13-9 lead.
Perry went to a short passing game, but the Panthers pass so infrequently a long drive seemed unlikely. A big gain on a screen to Dion Cundiff led to the Panthers perched on the Hudson 5 with .3 seconds left.
Wakefield got the stadium buzzing when he opted against a field goal. Josh Lemon found himself wide open in the end zone after slipping out of the backfield. Hayden Vinas delivered a touchdown pass that gave Perry a 16-13 lead.
The Panthers received the ball to start the second half and scored again.
"We wanted to put ourselves in good position for the third quarter, when we started with the ball," Wakefield said. "Good teams put the game away in the third quarter, although given the team Hudson is, I don't know that we put the game away."
The Panthers did grind their way to a 37-20 advantage and had their running game humming.
The teams actually have met in the playoffs four of the last six seasons. Hudson knocked out the Panthers in the first round in 2014, when the teams were in Division I, and Hudson eliminated Cleveland St. Ignatius a week after beating the Panthers 29-0.
The 2019 Explorers neared the land of the lost on Sept. 20. Their record was about to be 1-3 after a turnover gave Wadsworth, leading 35-34, the ball with 1:34 left. Hudson wound up winning 37-35 on Caleb Junko's 46-yard field goal as time expired.
Hudson went 5-0 in the season's second half, averaging 47.4 points against Nordonia, North Royalton, Cuyahoga Falls, Stow and Twinsburg. Pantani, a backup in 2018, became a force, as evidenced against Stow when he ran for 162 yards and four TDs and passed for 172 yards.
Wakefield said he used the same approach against a high-scoring offense he has used for 40 years: "Keep their offense off the field."
"It helped Hudson that they've seen our offense when we've gone against them in the playoffs before," Wakefield said. "(Gough) was their defensive coordinator before he was their head coach. It can be a big advantage for us when we face a team that never sees the wing-T. But he had a good idea what to expect."
The observation amused Gough.
"In his mind, he never changes," Gough said. "But he's coached every formation. He knows every wrinkle. He's always had something special for us when we've played them in the playoffs."
The Panthers had their 6-foot-4, 290-pound senior captain Vinny Sciury back after he sat out the regular season finale. Also back was standout junior running back, Lemon, but it was unclear whether he could be the force he has been when healthy.
"No. 71 (Sciury) and No. 76 (Max Millin) set the tone for their physical play," Gough said. "They're great players."
Wakefield liked many aspects of a team that went 8-2 but did not post a signature "win-one-you-weren't-supposed-to" night.
"Our guys played hard, and they played tough," Wakefield said. "I'm proud of them."

Reach Steve at 330-580-8347 or steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com
On Twitter: @sdoerschukREP

Plain and simple, Perry out-physicaled Hudson, Hudson's had a great game plan until they were punched in the face, especially Hudson's defense

Perry scored 37 against Hudson's D . . . just like Solon did . . . and Strongsville did . . . and Brecksville did . . . and Wadsworth did. I wouldn't puff my chest out too much. This wasn't Hudson's biggest/fastest/toughest D by any means.

I guess Perry had a great game plan in 2014 and 2015 until the Hudson D punched them in the face and held them to a total of 10 points combined in those games?

Also, you do realize the tough and physical Perry D allowed soft Hudson to put up 400 yards of offense . . . including about 200 on the ground from Hudson's 155 pound QB?

C'mon Man.

Again, congrats to Perry - I think most posters from both schools have mutual respect after the battles over the last five years. Hudson will be back in the playoffs next year . . . let's do it again.

Perry scored 37 against Hudson's D . . . just like Solon did . . . and Strongsville did . . . and Brecksville did . . . and Wadsworth did. I wouldn't puff my chest out too much. This wasn't Hudson's biggest/fastest/toughest D by any means.

I guess Perry had a great game plan in 2014 and 2015 until the Hudson D punched them in the face and held them to a total of 10 points combined in those games?

Also, you do realize the tough and physical Perry D allowed soft Hudson to put up 400 yards of offense . . . including about 200 on the ground from Hudson's 155 pound QB?

C'mon Man.

Again, congrats to Perry - I think most posters from both schools have mutual respect after the battles over the last five years. Hudson will be back in the playoffs next year . . . let's do it again.
[/QUOTE Do you know what being out-physcialed means? just watch the second half of play, heck your head coach even talked about it after the game in the paper

C'mon Man.

Do you know what being out-physcialed means? just watch the second half of play, heck your head coach even talked about it after the game in the paper

A big gain on a screen to Dion Cundiff led to the Panthers perched on the Hudson 5 with .3 seconds left.
Wakefield got the stadium buzzing when he opted against a field goal. Josh Lemon found himself wide open in the end zone after slipping out of the backfield. Hayden Vinas delivered a touchdown pass that gave Perry a 16-13 lead.
The Panthers received the ball to start the second half and scored again.

That was a gutsy call that really set the tone for the 2nd half.

Do you know what being out-physcialed means? just watch the second half of play, heck your head coach even talked about it after the game in the paper

I don't think that is really a surprise though. Hudson was very undersized on defense this year. Both teams got what they wanted on offense. Like I said, the difference was Hudson coming away with 6 points and drives that had a 1st and goal from the 7 and a 1st and goal from the 5. The TD on the last play of the first half was massive as well.