Howland Head Coch John Diehl Non-Renewed

WGS3P

Coach Diehl is not being reviewed after 26 years as the head coach of the Howland Girls' Basketball team. First word is a parent (or two, maybe) complained about how he treated their daughter(s) to the superintendent (read "playing time" dissatisfaction) and the supe lawyered up, then went with not renewing Coach Diehl.

Seems like players were upset over playing time, which led to parents complaining. Mistake #1: EVERYBODY wants a trophy today. Sorry, not how it worked even 10 years ago! Mistake #2: Parents really don't have a clue about practices, but kids can embellish things however they want. Mistake #3: Howland was super successful in athletics from 2000-2013 in pretty much everything. It tapered off for a few years, and ever sincethe hiring of the new AD, they have a new motto.......... All For One, One For All. They want to hold hands around a campfire and sing Kumbaya

What a terrible decision by Howland for multiple reasons.
1: You really set yourself back. A coach won't be approved until July now, which means no open gyms, no working on skill or condition and so on. Once someone gets in there and gets their staff, schedule, and everything else you're now competing with fall sports in already what is a "not typical" summer.
2: This sets the precedent for future coaches, you're not going to get the best candidate for the job...mostly because you just let him go. If I'm a coach looking for an opportunity and I get this job, now I will always have which parent do I have to appease so I can come back next year.
3: let me be clear on this...Parents... YOU'RE SETTING YOUR CHILD UP FOR FAILURE if you continue to micromanage and dictate every faucet of their life..especially in sports. We will use 2020 as a prime example. Your child didn't get enough playing time. We are in/working through a global pandemic (or whatever you want to call it) What has your child done to get better? The excuse of "not having enough time" isn't validated this year.. That's all kids have had are time. Great players have utilized this spring to work on themselves, I know it's been tough and they had to suck it up and shoot in a drive way instead of a gym, but if there's a will, there's a way.
4: Unfortunately this is the new norm. As previously stated, no one wants to work for anything anymore, they just want it handed to them.

Today, the VINDICATOR newspaper ran an article on Coach Diehl's non-renewal in its Sunday edition. It elaborates on his dismissal and laments it as unfortunate but indicative of how the environment of scholastic sports has changed for the worse. We'll likely never know exactly what Coach Diehl did or didn't do or allow to happen. (I suspect it was as simple as complaints about his demeanor towards the girls at times or some minor incident at worst.) But now Howland High School's athletic program will be challenged to adequately replace him. Best wishes to him for all his time commitment,...

And his tenure ends not with a bang but a whimper,... I thought more people would note Coach Diehl's being dismissed and either stand up for him or give the public more information on why he should go.

If you would like to know some of the facts behind the decision, the Tribune published some details on July 6. You might not have seen the article since the Trib buried the FACTS on the Opinion page with the headline “Workplace has no place for harassment.” Interesting that the Trib printed rumors & speculation on the front page of the Sports section, singing Diehl’s praises. Then the Trib chooses to hide the coach’s inappropriate behavior in a workplace harassment editorial. The paper and the coach should be ashamed of themselves!