How will Covid-19 affect the basketball season?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Will all the games get played? Will teams choose not to play? Will the season get started on time? Will the season be completed? Will regular fans be allowed to attend any games this season or will the limits remain all season?

What do you expect of this season with Covid-19 hanging over every decision?

Canceling seasons doesn’t solve anything. I haven’t really heard of any scenarios where spread is rampant while participating in sports. We’re in the midst of a football season that seems to be going fine. Not to mention the young guys either aren’t affected or bounce back quickly if they get it.

Limit attendance, wear masks, play ball.

I think it will happen as normal with the above "guidelines"

But people need to be ready to litigate if the governor gets stupid.

I agree with all of this. Dictator DeWine said yesterday leaving the “decisions” up to local level officials and School Districts. May have to litigate with those groups instead of Dictator. In the cluster _uck that is Hamilton County apparently they are saying no it’s up to the Dictator??‍♂️

Canceling seasons doesn’t solve anything. I haven’t really heard of any scenarios where spread is rampant while participating in sports. We’re in the midst of a football season that seems to be going fine. Not to mention the young guys either aren’t affected or bounce back quickly if they get it.

Limit attendance, wear masks, play ball.
It’s not about how the young guys are affected. It’s about their role in community spread.

That’s why you limit attendance and wear masks. There’s nothing that has shown sports increases spread.
I don’t advocate shutting down sports. I keep seeing people saying school age kids aren’t affected by Covid so they shouldn’t be subjected to any restrictions. They are completely (probably intentionally) missing the point.

I don’t advocate shutting down sports. I keep seeing people saying school age kids aren’t affected by Covid so they shouldn’t be subjected to any restrictions. They are completely (probably intentionally) missing the point.
Are there any counties in "purple" status at this time? I think if you see them head in that direction, particularly the highly populated ones, you will begin to see discussions regarding the status of winter sports. If not, limit attendance, practice the guidelines and play the games.

LET THEM PLAY ! Games(open runs with refs and scoreboards) have been going on since July non-stop and no covid breakouts.
The schools will follow protocols even closer. No reason not to play.

We’ll never know if, indeed, a sporting event caused a COVID outbreak because in OH the threshold for transparency on schools’ part is so low: they only have to report # of cases across the district on a weekly basis. They’re not required to say what building within the district has COVID+’s, nor are they obliged to say what the findings of contact tracing are regarding spread and positivity. DeWine’s story today about an unnamed school in an unnamed county having a COVID outbreak due to community spread transmitting across a football team basically cements that Ohio is going to be intentionally opaque about the role COVID transmission plays with our schools.

No significant outbreaks? Where have you been? Cases are skyrocketing largely due to more indoor gatherings not wearing masks.

Distancing and masks are mandated at sporting events in Ohio. People are complying. I have been to zero events, or frankly anywhere in public, where people aren’t wearing masks in public places.

Cases are skyrocketing from more intimate gatherings in smaller spaces in the homes. Sports and sporting events have not been shown to be spreaders in Ohio.

Where are all of these people you say aren’t wearing masks hanging out? Go yell at them. Because it’s not at sporting events.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they only let parents in for football, can't believe they will allow any additional spectators for winter sports. Hopefully the kids get to play. For those of us who are just fans, its going to be a very, very long winter.

May have to take up ice sculpting.

If they only let parents in for football, can't believe they will allow any additional spectators for winter sports. Hopefully the kids get to play. For those of us who are just fans, its going to be a very, very long winter.

May have to take up ice sculpting.
I envision it will be similar attendance guidelines to whichever ones were used for volleyball, give or take a few fans - don't have to make any allowances for parents of cheerleaders at a volleyball match.

Ice sculpting sounds like an interesting hobby to take up, but ice fishing might be a better way to go this winter. 1 of my college profs always dismissed ice fishing as just an excuse to get drunk.

They are going to play. Let parents, cheerleaders and a few other authorized personnel at the games. That works perfect.

I really hope they continue to stream the games on YouTube. This has been a great benefit in an otherwise bad year for watching HS sports.

I've viewed quite a few live feeds for football and have been amazed at the number of people watching the games. There have been times that I am fairly certain the live viewers of the feed was larger than the crowd would have been during a normal year.

I really hope they continue to stream the games on YouTube. This has been a great benefit in an otherwise bad year for watching HS sports.

I've viewed quite a few live feeds for football and have been amazed at the number of people watching the games. There have been times that I am fairly certain the live viewers of the feed was larger than the crowd would have been during a normal year.
I think a lot of places will end up just doing Boxcast and sell subscriptions, even if they didn’t charge for football. 15% of gymnasium capacity, for a lot of schools, is far worse than what they could’ve admitted for football. Times that by 22 (girls and boys basketball home games) and schools are looking at massive revenue losses that need to be recouped somehow.

Its affecting us in the Akron City Series. No open gyms to date and we are awaiting word from a coming board meeting, this Monday 11/2, to see when we can begin practices/tryouts.
Akron Public Schools have been completely incompetent going back to the handling of fall sports.

Last edited:
No significant outbreaks? Where have you been? Cases are skyrocketing largely due to more indoor gatherings not wearing masks.
Kind of defines a basketball game. Indoor gathering of 10 or more people , not social distancing or wearing masks.

With cases going up each day, I'm getting a little nervous about the basketball season taking place in it's entirety. I wouldn't be surprised if some changes are announced soon. Hopefully, things will be under control to allow for a complete and uninterrupted tournament this year.

In my local school (8th grade), one teacher was diagnosed with Covid-19. There are now almost half the kids at home quarantined for two weeks that had come into contact with this teacher. The basketball teams (boys and girls) will have split tryouts. Those that weren't affected will have their normal tryout. Those quarantined will have their tryout after the quarantine ends in two weeks.

If this had happened during the season, almost no way any games could have been played.