How many matches for youth wrestler

About as many as they want, without getting sick of it.

If they are in a program that participates in a "league," then I think there is merit in having them finish what they started, minimally wrestling all of the league competitions. Other than that, I'd say the road is pretty long, and there is a balance between "getting better" and getting burnt out before HS.

Focus on quality over quantity. Wrestle most of the year but play other sports and take off completely 4-6 weeks late summer. Find a good program and stick with it for consistent coaching on technique. Don't cut weight.
Huge you said it best quality over quantity. This sounds like you been following me around and told yappi how I raised my kids in wrestling. Great post as I agree with all your points.

I've been coaching for a few years and this is always a tough question. It varies by wrestler. Some do well and get better with 15ish matches while others need 30+, but only the select can handle 50+. I agree with Cosh that clinics and camps are much more important than people think. They spend so much time teaching and they are always so positive that it is usually a great experience for the wrestlers. I encourage all of my wrestlers to play multiple sports and to take time off. I think both are very important. I know I'm not giving any definitive answers but you asked a really tough question. Good luck and above all, as CoachMorgan said, err on the side of less.

Find a room that competes in tournaments where you know there are kids that can whip your kids tail if he doesn't bring it.

I preferred nationals duals over national tournaments for my kids. Tried to get my boys onto gold pool teams if I could to get them best matches for my money

Trying to figure this out myself. I want to get my step son into wrestling different competition during his season and having different wrestling partners. His youth team is really new but have some good coaches. I also want to take him to practice with my old youth club just across the line. My hope is that the different styles from his coaches and two clubs will benefit him but not burn him out.

Trying to figure this out myself. I want to get my step son into wrestling different competition during his season and having different wrestling partners. His youth team is really new but have some good coaches. I also want to take him to practice with my old youth club just across the line. My hope is that the different styles from his coaches and two clubs will benefit him but not burn him out.

While getting different practice partners is not a bad idea, many people argue that exposing kids to too many different technique styles can confuse them more than anything, especially at a young age. Best suggestion would be to pick a good club that works for your situation and stick to it. Trust/ buy in to the system and be patient. Make small incremental gains over time and it will add up- make sure he learns one new thing each practice and that he retains it and builds off of it.