How important are outfielders in High School?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OK, this is somewhat of a rhetorical question. We had a parent that was upset that their daughter was the starting right fielder. He thought she should have had the right to fight for the second base position.

The reality was that she did fight for the second base position and that position is still up for grabs. She was OK there but did not compare favorably to the two other girls playing there. His daughter won the right field position and starts there every game. We are at the 12U level and the amount of balls hit to RF is about equal to the number that are hit to second.

It kills me when parents think a position isn't "important". Makes it even worse when that parent influences the player to think that outfield isn't important. Just watching the games should have been enough for this parent to understand how important outfield is to a team but this parent couldn't get past what they saw in t-ball and coach pitch to realize the game changes as they get older.

I would guess this is some parent who's kid plays rec ball or a low level travel team and thinks that playing in the outfield is for kids that suck. High school ball is all about pitching in my opinion. If you don't have at least a solid pitcher who can throw strikes and rack up some strikeouts, you're probably going to be limited on how far your team can go. On the other hand, you could have a pretty average or even below average team and if you have a stud pitcher you can make a run. As far as outfield, again I think it depends on your pitcher. If you have a girl that works up in the zone, you better be able to catch a fly ball. If she works low in the zone, you better be solid in the infield. The bottom line is every position matters, it only takes one run to win a game and I personally don't want that run to score because we couldn't catch a fly ball in rightfield.

OK, this is somewhat of a rhetorical question. We had a parent that was upset that their daughter was the starting right fielder. He thought she should have had the right to fight for the second base position.

The reality was that she did fight for the second base position and that position is still up for grabs. She was OK there but did not compare favorably to the two other girls playing there. His daughter won the right field position and starts there every game. We are at the 12U level and the amount of balls hit to RF is about equal to the number that are hit to second.

It kills me when parents think a position isn't "important". Makes it even worse when that parent influences the player to think that outfield isn't important. Just watching the games should have been enough for this parent to understand how important outfield is to a team but this parent couldn't get past what they saw in t-ball and coach pitch to realize the game changes as they get older.
12 year olds especially ones with only a year or two of fastpitch can surprise many coaches as they grow.
By the time the ladies get to High School honestly they play where they are needed if they do not want to do so they go back down to JV or the bench..... A lot of Travel ball ladies that play INF or OF in Travel actually end up in more key positions in HS like pitcher Catcher, SS 1B.
My opinion at 10/12U its about coaching up and growing players at all positions. The ones willing to listen and work generally find themselves in a spot they are happy with.

There is no one more biased than a parent.

I always put the outfielder I trusted the most in RF. That player was responsible to back up throws to 1st and had to have a high motor and understand how important it was to get into position to back that up.

HS softball you can’t hide anyone on the field. If a parent has an issue with their daughter playing varsity It’s because they have a youth mentality. RF needs to be able to track a fly ball and have the strongest arm of the three outfielders.

As others have said this is definitely a youth and/or rec mind frame. There’s a certain skill set that is required to play outfield that isn’t always a necessity in the infield. Ability to read the ball off the bat and track a fly ball from the outfield position, speed, arm. In 10/12U I’d really focus on their development at 2 positions for versatility. As they get older the girls that want to play college ball versatility is a big asset and whiny and demanding parents are a huge detractor.