How does the MAC do it?

Ohiofootball80

How are these teams so good year in and year out? They have won state titles consistently for 30 years. The weakest teams in that conference will usually beat or at least compete with the best teams in Ohio outside of that conference. How do they do it?

I'm not sure where you are getting the "weakest teams in that conference will usually beat or at least compete with the best teams in Ohio." Perhaps trying to stir up trouble? As a MSML fan, I'll tell you my team will hold it's own at the very least, against the best teams in the state, D5 through D7. Can the same be said for the bottom tier of the MAC? Not at all.

Talked to a coaching friend of mine a few years ago that has lost to them alot in the playoffs
1. Genetics - they have the Jimmies and Joes
2. Coaching - They rarely get outcoached, which means you have to be as good or better at #1, which rarely happens, except at places like Kirtland.
3. Community - great support, no soccer, lots of two parent homes that promote the a winning culture.

This goes beyond football, it's really every sport the MAC competes in. I believe the MAC has the top 4 or 5 volleyball teams in the state this year (Ft Loramie and TC may disagree). But if you go to these communities you will see houses that are kept up, perfect yards, thriving businesses, cars that are washed, etc... I believe all of this goes into the core of the MAC, they work hard, take great pride in what they do and strive to be the best. And the beer consumption doesn't hurt!!

Heard the Coldwater coach once say that he felt having the majority of their kids come from a 2 parent household was something that helped them to be successful.

I'd also add in, community support, and the fact that they allow their kids to get coached and don't seem to meddle with their coaches. I.E. the article from the NYT about Marion Local last year or the year before eluded to that

Many believe not having pee-wee is the key to their success.

Then how do they win volleyball, baseball, cross country, etc titles? Pee wee football has little to do with thier success. Genetics, coaching, and community define them. Some schools can match them in 1 or even two areas, but rarely all three. Kirtland is one of those places and you see them holding thier own vs. the MAC.

And I have the utmost respect for what the MAC has done. Ive wathced them beat many teams from the OHC in the playoffs over the years.

Linking the New York Times article on Marion Local because I believe that encompasses everything that makes the MAC great. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/sports/football/ohio-high-school-marion-local.html

Great Article. The writer of that article also wrote this book.

It is about Smith Center, Kansas and their winning streak. Even the pic on the cover is similar to MSML pic on the story.

Talked to a coaching friend of mine a few years ago that has lost to them alot in the playoffs
1. Genetics - they have the Jimmies and Joes
2. Coaching - They rarely get outcoached, which means you have to be as good or better at #1, which rarely happens, except at places like Kirtland.
3. Community - great support, no soccer, lots of two parent homes that promote the a winning culture.
Completely agree with your list and also I would place the priority in the same order.

For those who question if genetics are really that big of a deal, how many state wrestling titles does the MAC have? I dont actually know the answer to that question, but zero would be my bet. The kids are a few inches taller and few pounds heavier than normal Ohio.

I have mentioned this before, but I used to run the Minster October fest, and i would take note of many (probably 25%) or more of runners who were taller than myself. A few weeks after the October fest i would run the Turkey Trot in Miamisburg. It was likely only 2-3% who were taller than myself at that south of .Dayton race, and I figured most of them probably just came down from Mercer county for the race.

Exactly. And the state champion volleyball player marries the state champion FB player and they live in Mercer county and have 6 kids, which keeps the cycle going.
The MAC has probably sent more kids D1 in FB than the rest of the D6-7 conferences in Ohio put together.
Not ot mention at least 4-5 to the NFL too since the 80s and into the 2000s.

They drink real milk. Fresh from the cows. None of this pasteurized or processed stuff. Their strength and stamina is off the charts.

Completely agree with your list and also I would place the priority in the same order.

For those who question if genetics are really that big of a deal, how many state wrestling titles does the MAC have? I dont actually know the answer to that question, but zero would be my bet. The kids are a few inches taller and few pounds heavier than normal Ohio.

I have mentioned this before, but I used to run the Minster October fest, and i would take note of many (probably 25%) or more of runners who were taller than myself. A few weeks after the October fest i would run the Turkey Trot in Miamisburg. It was likely only 2-3% who were taller than myself at that south of .Dayton race, and I figured most of them probably just came down from Mercer county for the race.
Per Wikipedia, Coldwater has 3 wrestling state titles. Everyone else in the MAC, zero.