How Does A #8 Seed Win A State Football Title?

D4 Clyde lost to one D2 and three D3 schools, who all made the playoffs, by 13, 7, 2, and 1 points. In the process they learned some things about themselves and got better.

And they were a lot more physical than the last two teams they beat.

Trotwood Madison was a 7th seed that won the D III title. Season loses to D I play off teams Springfield and Springboro and powerhouse D II Winton Woods.

St. Ed's won D1 as a 7 seed last year. Lost to Ignatius and Mentor (ended up beating them both in the playoffs) and a Michigan powerhouse team. Harbin rankings don't mean anything come playoff time. If you get in, you have a chance, especially private's and higher level publics that have a hard time scheduling games and have to look elsewhere for opponents. Not as uncommon as it seems.

D4 Clyde lost to one D2 and three D3 schools, who all made the playoffs, by 13, 7, 2, and 1 points. In the process they learned some things about themselves and got better.

And they were a lot more physical than the last two teams they beat.
That Ottawa Glandorf game was probably on of their most physical games all year and a game where they played somebody just as physical and athletic as them.

St. X was the 8 seed when they Won State as a 5-5 Regular Season Team with Clifford as QB?
I said it before and I'll say it again. For a school who prides themselves on high academics, no one on that football team could spell the simple word "quit". Several come from behind wins...quite an achievement!!!

St. X was the 8 seed when they Won State as a 5-5 Regular Season Team with Clifford as QB?
They were a 5 seed that year, 2016. Their 5 run sweep to the title included 3 OTs (including title game vs Iggy) and a 2 pt win over Pick Central in the semis. They played from behind in almost every one of the last 4 games.

That has happened once before. Can anyone tell me the team that did it and the two state champs they defeated in the regular season?

Does it have to be Ohio state champs? If not, 2008 St. X comes to mind. Both Bosco and Prattville both even finished in the Top 25 nationally.

Does it have to be Ohio state champs? If not, 2008 St. X comes to mind. Both Bosco and Prattville both even finished in the Top 25 nationally.

For the purposes of the question, yes it is Ohio champs only. Didn't X also beat Indianapolis Cathedral that year?

2014 Marion Local defeated eventual D 6 champ Minster 56 - 28 in week four, and eventual D 5 champ Coldwater 20 -0 in week seven of the regular season, en route to a 15 - 0 D 7 championship year

You are correct they did but just to clarify the question is about a team that did not qualify for the playoffs despite beating two eventual state champions in the regular season like Winton Woods did this year and the team I am looking for.

That has happened once before. Can anyone tell me the team that did it and the two state champs they defeated in the regular season?
This one was very difficult, but my research points me toward Cleveland St. Joseph in 1982. The Vikings defeated both Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary but finished 4th in DI Region 1. Only 2 teams per region qualified at that time, so the Vikings were sitting at home in week 11.

This was the first trivia question I ever asked on a now defunct website back in its first year which hard to believe was 20 years ago now.

Great job Mr. Slippery it is indeed the 1982 Cleveland St. Joseph Vikings. A D1 team, the Vikings defeated Mooney, the D2 champ & ASVSM the D3 champ but did not qualify themselves. As you noted though only two teams per region qualified then. It is much more unusual that D2 WW didn't finish in the top 8 this year considering that feat. However if WW were in D1, R4 they would have qualified.

Berea and Mentor finished 1-2 in R1 in 1982. I think St. Edward was 3rd.

This was the first trivia question I ever asked on a now defunct website back in its first year which hard to believe was 20 years ago now.

Great job Mr. Slippery it is indeed the 1982 Cleveland St. Joseph Vikings. A D1 team, the Vikings defeated Mooney, the D2 champ & ASVSM the D3 champ but did not qualify themselves. As you noted though only two teams per region qualified then. It is much more unusual that D2 WW didn't finish in the top 8 this year considering that feat. However if WW were in D1, R4 they would have qualified.

Berea and Mentor finished 1-2 in R1 in 1982. I think St. Edward was 3rd.
In looking at the past state champs on the OHSAA website, I was able to narrow it down to either 1973 (was thinking maybe someone defeated both Mooney and Benedictine) or 1982 (Mooney and St. V.) fairly quickly. It helped that there were many years when at least 1 team among state champs who may have shared a common opponent went unbeaten. It also helped to know how difficult it was to qualify for the playoffs prior to the 2nd big expansion in 1985 when allowing 4 teams per region among 5 divisions seemed extremely generous. Of course, the 1st big expansion occurred in '80 when 3 Classes became 5 divisions. It certainly took some looking. Thank goodness for newspapers.com which has the entire Akron Beacon Journal archived!

You are absolutely right that it is extremely unusual that Winton Woods could equal this feat and not qualify for the playoffs in this day and age.

I certainly never thought it would happen again. Not with 8 teams/region qualifying.

Funny he led with that point about being only the second team to accomplish the feat...then didn’t mention the other one lol.

I thought I remembered Ignatius being an 8 seed and winning it all in 2001, but they may have been a 7.

Licking Valley won games against 2 D3 playoff teams and beat 2 D2 teams but they were down this year. It came down to the size finally caught up to them. Last week playing all that size in a very good Poland team took it's toll but Valley is used to it. Clyde again was much bigger than our D size and it got us. We will be back and hope to meet up again

Last edited:
Crazy thing is Clyde was down 14-0 in round 1, while playing on a muddy grass field for the first time all year. They showed their toughness that night and it carried them the rest of the way.

Crazy thing is Clyde was down 14-0 in round 1, while playing on a muddy grass field for the first time all year. They showed their toughness that night and it carried them the rest of the way.

Another crazy thing: if Rossford beats Eastwood in Week 10 (lost 35-33) Clyde doesn't even make the playoffs.