How do you prevent a sore shoulder after pitching?

Knuckles34

Just looking for some ideas to prevent my son from getting a sore shoulder after he throws. Wasn't sure what he could do in regards to ice therapy, stretching, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Ice and stretching are great but should be after they do some running. Running after throwing is an excellent way to pump out some lactic acid and can prevent a lot of unnecessary soreness. Run/jog immediately after.

Run before throwing to get good blood flow. Take adequate time to warm up by throwing easy and increasing speed gradually. Stretching is important after throwing (not before). As mentioned by Southpaw69, make sure to run after throwing as well to get the lactic acid out...

Also, make sure you get someone who really knows pitching to watch his pitching mechanics. Sometimes (not always), soreness is an indicator of poor mechanics. It is important to use good mechanics all of the time -- even when just playing catch to warm up.

stay Hydrated it also helps with the lactic acid, and stretching between starts keeps the muscles from binding....

As per the Cleveland Clinic Sports Med. "Limit pitch count early in the season to 60 pitches then ice immediatly after.

First let me say I am not a Doctor. I just Googled "Lactic Acid Pitching Soreness" just to learn more about this because I have son who is a pitcher. Most everything I read said that their was no correlation between pitching and Lactic Acid as a reason for soreness. "I read it on the Internet" it has to be true...:) Most of the stuff said that it was no longer a widely held belief. Its amazing what you can learn on the internet. I am sure there are just as many sites that says its the cause though. Just throwing out a little information. Here's a good baseball link on the subject.

http://www.webball.com/cms/page2008.cfm

First let me say I am not a Doctor. I just Googled "Lactic Acid Pitching Soreness" just to learn more about this because I have son who is a pitcher. Most everything I read said that their was no correlation between pitching and Lactic Acid as a reason for soreness. "I read it on the Internet" it has to be true...:) Most of the stuff said that it was no longer a widely held belief. Its amazing what you can learn on the internet. I am sure there are just as many sites that says its the cause though. Just throwing out a little information. Here's a good baseball link on the subject.

http://www.webball.com/cms/page2008.cfm

im no doctor and not sure if the term is lactic acid... but what most people call it is Lactic acid and it mainly affects the elbow area not so much the shoulder the should is mostly muscle tears that cause the pain as in shin splints the main way to stop shoulder pain is to do good off season training and using good Mechanics by using the legs to take stress off the upper half!!! thats why you here coaches constantly telling kids to not let there arm drag so far behind their bodies

Lactic acid

The build up of lactic acid is old school and does not occur from pitching. So to say that running helps to burn away lactic acid is not even close to being a factor for pitchers. There are several long term studies that support the "no lactic acid build up" by a pitcher if you want to bring your philosophy up to date.
As a coach, you might want to look into the studies before you talk about lactic acid build up by a pitcher.:shrug: