How about this solution

I enjoy wrestling

We have a problem and that's life. We are defined in our lives how we handle adversity. There is no perfect solution, but here is my solution.

Ohio high school coordinates a special wrestler preview event. The time of this event would be when it's safe to congregate again. Let's put together as many high profile matches as possible. These would only be exhibitions. Then at the end of the event they could hold a medal presentation. All 1 seeds would receive state champion medals. 2 seeds would receive runner up. 3 seeds would get 3rd place and 4 seeds finish 4th.

I understand the talent level varies per weight class. I also understand it's not a perfect solution. But if you're not a one seed you lost. You controlled your destiny and you lost. I understand you could have been a 1 seed in another district, but this is a complicated situation. It's not a perfect idea, but it's the best I could come up with.

Maybe the metals are stamped 1 of 4. .... 2 of 4..... 3 of 4... 4 of 4. This would denote the special occurrence. It would not dilute previous state champions. But, it would recognize our wrestlers hard work

Last edited:

I doubt that will get any traction beyond this board, but nothing wrong with some brainstorming. I was about to suggest something similar, but lacked the guts to face the expected ridicule. Being partisan with this, I feel badly for Jacob Moon. He suffered an achilles (just going on what I read somewhere) injury in his freshman year a couple of days before the sectionals and had to scratch out of the tourney. Opportunity lost. Last year, he drew the side with Norris in it and lost 1-0. Norris went on to the state championship.

This year he was ranked #1 pretty much all season and the BFA picked him to win the state title. He beat both the #2 and #3 ranked wrestlers at the Perrysburg District tourney.

I agree - if we can play "what if", he deserves the state title this year. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances and he, like all others, will not get the chance to earn that title. But if the NCAA could award national championship trophies based on rankings prior to going to the playoff system in 2014/2015, then why would it not make sense to give it a go? I understand it is only one person doing the final rankings based on input from others and seeing the records and "who beat who", but I like the idea. Did I mention I am biased on this? But only at 113lbs in Div. I.

It would be nice to have some sort of direction on this as it seems like there is no way that the state tourney will happen at this point. My son is a junior. He is now a 3x state qualifier and placed last year. He wants to wrestle in college and coaches/recruiters want to know how he finished this year. Does he say.... I was ranked ___ in the state?

My suggestion keeps the possibility of the 4 time champs. It also denotes the championship metals are one of four. I know it dilutes the idea of a state championship. But, the other option is blank. The championship didn't take place and no metals are issued. I don't have a problem with that either. No crying in baseball.

Pandemics are serious business and competition is probably finished this season. I would love to attend a planned exhibition of wrestling matches. An asterisk in the record books can be a positive. Makes a negative into a positive.

It would be nice to have some sort of direction on this as it seems like there is no way that the state tourney will happen at this point. My son is a junior. He is now a 3x state qualifier and placed last year. He wants to wrestle in college and coaches/recruiters want to know how he finished this year. Does he say.... I was ranked ___ in the state?
If he wants to wrestle in college , his placement at the state tournament doesn’t define him! His work ethic and everything about him defines him. If a coach only cares about where he places , he isn’t investing much in your kid ! He will move on from him when and if a higher placer shows interest! College wrestling isn’t high school wrestling ! Different animal ! Good luck to your boy and sorry this is how this year ended !

The entire sport of wrestling is about dealing with adversity. If you don't learn how to deal with adversity in this sport, you don't stick with it. The end of this season is a big one, but I suspect wrestlers are going to deal with it better than most...

If we want to give this years wrestlers something to hang their hat on, maybe the big three rankers of Ohio wrestlers (is there mainly three?) should come up with a consensus end-of-the-year ranking and be done with it... Then a kid could at least say that he was "officially" ranked ____ after the regular season of the virus year. It would give the college coaches something to look at as well... Its better than nothing

The entire sport of wrestling is about dealing with adversity. If you don't learn how to deal with adversity in this sport, you don't stick with it. The end of this season is a big one, but I suspect wrestlers are going to deal with it better than most...

If we want to give this years wrestlers something to hang their hat on, maybe the big three rankers of Ohio wrestlers (is there mainly three?) should come up with a consensus end-of-the-year ranking and be done with it... Then a kid could at least say that he was "officially" ranked ____ after the regular season of the virus year. It would give the college coaches something to look at as well... Its better than nothing
Adversity , is not making it to state bc you just got flat out beat because it wasn’t your weekend or maybe you had the toughest kids in your sectional / district. However the process is what it is. The top 16 kids that qualified for state are the kids that should be recognized. Rankings are subjective, in most all weight classes, you could get a different result each time a group of kids wrestle. Sure , your 1-3 are normally that but anything can happen. It’s never luck or chance when there is a upset , the opportunity to win for anyone is there with effort! It’s what makes the blood rounds at districts and state so interesting to watch. This year is unprecedented across the board at every level! No one is going to repeat a grade in high school because of it. I highly doubt in college either , there could be a few , if granted or waiver was put in place. College is too expensive and would cause a huge ripple if they did allow it. If the season was shorter we wouldn’t be talking about the what if’s !

I doubt that will get any traction beyond this board, but nothing wrong with some brainstorming. I was about to suggest something similar, but lacked the guts to face the expected ridicule. Being partisan with this, I feel badly for Jacob Moon. He suffered an achilles (just going on what I read somewhere) injury in his freshman year a couple of days before the sectionals and had to scratch out of the tourney. Opportunity lost. Last year, he drew the side with Norris in it and lost 1-0. Norris went on to the state championship.

This year he was ranked #1 pretty much all season and the BFA picked him to win the state title. He beat both the #2 and #3 ranked wrestlers at the Perrysburg District tourney.

I agree - if we can play "what if", he deserves the state title this year. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances and he, like all others, will not get the chance to earn that title. But if the NCAA could award national championship trophies based on rankings prior to going to the playoff system in 2014/2015, then why would it not make sense to give it a go? I understand it is only one person doing the final rankings based on input from others and seeing the records and "who beat who", but I like the idea. Did I mention I am biased on this? But only at 113lbs in Div. I.
Every Ohio wrestler, even those who didn't qualify for state should be getting a USA Wrestling card and checking out the events list.

agreed. Give every kid a free USA wrestling card. Give all state qualifiers "All-Ohio" status. Let schools recognize them how they traditionally recognize ALL OHIO athletes. I disagree with the ranking thing.
It would be a smart move by USA Wrestling. Are the cards for free? I assumed their was a small fee for the card. If lowering costs brings more kids to compete during the summer, it's a win-win. This virus stuff isn't close to being over, but hopefully some competition for all sports is available by summer.

USA Wrestling Cards cost $45. Already bought my boys theirs for the year and my coaching one ($50). Hopefully we get to use them.

Last edited:
The USA Wrestling Cards go to pay insurance more than anything else. And who knows what's going to happen to that industry right now. I'm sure the wrestling community will come together once this things done and do what's best for the sport.

OCeagle,

I know your a Clay fan and Moon had a great shot at being a State Champ this year beating both Fenton and Seefedlt at districts. But of course you should know just because you beat a kid multiple times during season or the week before it doesn’t guarantee you a state title or even a shot at one.

I remember Nick Henneman beating Chatman 3 or 4 times during season only to mismanage his weight on a short week and was teched in Semis. Believe Henneman pinned him a few times to.

I think all kids that made the state tournament should be called state qualifiers and that is it.
They didn’t earn All Ohio honors 3-8, state runner-up or state champ titles. All they earned was the title state qualifier.

My son is one of 3 sophomores who has lost out on a shot at becoming a 4xer.
He will tell you he doesn’t want to be 2020 champ, runner up, or All-Ohio 3-8 based off of rankings either. He will tell you he is ok with being called a state qualifier because that’s what he earned.
He will let you know that college don’t care what place you took at state but every prestigious college looks for well-rounded student-athletes