Host school Booing tournament champs

PortC

Curious what the consensus is on the host School inviting certain teams in and then booing the champs when they outperform the field. No less booing a freshman from Watterson who came out and had a spectacular showing. (Not my guy by the way)

I am not for booing any high school kids.
But everyone has their own opinions and rights. At the end of the day it looks worse on the ones booing than on the one being booed.
Going to be hard to keep teams coming back, unless the teams being booed enjoy the hostile environment as a tune-up for the post season.

I am not for booing any high school kids.
But everyone has their own opinions and rights. At the end of the day it looks worse on the ones booing than on the one being booed.
Going to be hard to keep teams coming back, unless the teams being booed enjoy the hostile environment as a tune-up for the post season.

As a parent, I don't like it at all. When I wrestled, I would laugh at those booing and if they booed me, I would just take it as jealousy and invite it.

I don't agree with that but their is alot I don't know about the situation. Was it the host teams fans booing? Was it a rival that won it? Was it real close tournament and they won it on a bad call? Was the team overall just annoying and cocky overall or even worse unconditional and faked injuries? I don't agree with booing kids by any means but I just wonder how the situation went down.

No place for it. These are kids. I feel sorry for the parents that do it. You're certainly not giving your kids anything that they can learn by these actions. You can boo the coach, the ref, they're adults and are getting paid for a service ( although I believe still inappropriate). There's enough bullying that goes on in school, no need to teach our kids that its ok.

In a sea of fans at a tournament I'm not sure you can isolate the home fans from the visitor fans and determine who's cheering or booing. At a dual meet it would be much easier to identify who is doing what. Why not set up a dual meet with the host teams at their school and find out for sure.

I didn’t see anyone from the host school booing. Alder and Watterson did not even wrestle at 132. The booing I saw was due to a call in the finals of the 132lb championship between Davidson and the frosh from watterson. It can be seen on the fb and insta page for Ohio mat media. Many were yelling “twoooo” and many were yelling “boooo”… alder had no skin in the game on that match because we were wrestling for 5th at the same time against mt. Vernon and many of the home crowd were displeased when an official hit a kid for a penalty point that decided the match, for continuing to wrestle on the out of bounds line when he didn’t hear the whistle.
That’s the problem with coming on a public forum when you don’t have your facts straight. Nobody from alder has anything against watterson. The coaching staffs are long time friends going back a few decades and we workout together a lot in the off season.
Lastly, thanks to the watterson team captain who helped clean up trash in the bleachers after the tournament. Impressive gesture after a grueling weekend!
ps. Better stay away from the state tournament this year if you can’t handle booing. The semis and blood rounds get pretty intense 😉

Apple= Fans were yelling TWOOO Lindsey vs. Moore- Fact
Orange= Lindsey was BOOED when he won OW and Desales was BOOED when they announced team Champs. -Fact
I also agree...I think the coaches are friendly which makes it even more awkward. The Alder kid whooped by sons butt...I shook his hand afterward and told him great job.

Apple= Fans were yelling TWOOO Lindsey vs. Moore- Fact
Orange= Lindsey was BOOED when he won OW and Desales was BOOED when they announced team Champs. -Fact
I also agree...I think the coaches are friendly which makes it even more awkward. The Alder kid whooped by sons butt...I shook his hand afterward and told him great job.
We been getting booed since the 70's its a badge of honor. Take it as a compliment and move on.

Nothing wrong with cheering / booing during a game or match. That's what fans do. I guess I was thinking individuals were getting booed while receiving their award, which would be totally unacceptable imo. Maybe it happens nowadays? Idk if I have ever heard anyone getting booed on a podium? It definitely happens at the end of a match when someone does something that may be considered out of line.

We been getting booed since the 70's its a badge of honor. Take it as a compliment and move on.
My coaches ( who were teachers ) walked around in the locker room naked back in the 80s. They slammed kids up against the wall. One told me he was going to kill me. Didn't think much about any of it back then. Times change . Booing a team is much different than booing an individual.

This wasn't a host school booing, but years ago we were at the Austintown Fitch sectional.

I was sitting next to one of the kid's mothers on our team, and as her son was wrestling, he got dinged and took an injury time out.

People a couple rows above us started booing this kid, telling him to get up and wrestle.

Now, mind you, he wasn't even wrestling a kid from their team. Not that that should matter.

So I turned to her, and said loud enough for them to hear me, "Hey, it's understandable that they're mad, when this is
over, they have to go home to Twinsburg".

This is NOT the host school booing. It might be fans from the host school but most school admins I have experienced have very little knowledge of the sport of folk style wrestling.

I do not boo high schools kids, only clueless refs and coaches. They are getting paid (although likely not an adequate wage).