Home Run, or not a home run?

WX Dude

I still don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome of the game, but it sure would have changed what happened the rest of the game.

Is this a home run?

Ok I'm sorry if the ball had hit the top of the fence and landed on the other side of the fence it would have been a home run. But it bounced back in so it's a live ball

Pardon the confusion, but there is a large yellow line on the top of that fence.

I decided to look at other fora and the actual rule since the answer given here was a little condescending.
And the answer is: it depends. The confusion comes from different leagues and different parks having different "yellow line" rules.
As far as I can tell, in ohio softball, you have to clear the fence no matter where a yellow line is, UNLESS there is a specific ground rule. But even then there is some debate.

And the answer is: it depends. The confusion comes from different leagues and different parks having different "yellow line" rules.
As far as I can tell, in ohio softball, you have to clear the fence no matter where a yellow line is, UNLESS there is a specific ground rule. But even then there is some debate.

In my experience, I've never seen a park where that would be called a home run.

The confusion might be in some ball parks where the top of the fence is marked by a yellow line and there are other obstacles above the yellow line that may bounce the ball back onto the field. If the ball hits an object above the yellow line, it is a homerun.

The left field wall at Progressive Field is a good example with the railing above the wall. If it hits the railing, it's a home run:

progressive-field-fence-height.jpg

Here is another example at the Indians AA affiliate (centerfield "Batter's Eye" wall):

7952590636_95fc4ae68d.jpg

Above the yellow line is a HR when it bounces back.

Pretty sure that is not yellow line marking a homerun. its the protective tubing to keep anyone from getting hurt on the top of a chain link fence.

Definitely not a home run. See the above descriptions on why. That is not a home run in any park with that setup. It is not debatable.

Same thing happened in a college game today. LSU vs. Auburn

Same confusion with a 8-6-2 put out at home...Announcer thought it was a ground rule double at first...

Pretty sure that is not yellow line marking a homerun. its the protective tubing to keep anyone from getting hurt on the top of a chain link fence.
It is. But the protective tubing on the fences along the foul/baselines are black.

Sorry about the tone this whole thread took. When I have a question about the rules I ALWAYS defer to the refs/umps' call since 99.999998% of the time they are correct without need of replays. In this situation, I was unsure of my own knowledge of the rule as were many people in the stands, and even one of the coaches in this game. I thought it was a legitimate question to ask.

In one of the other forums I posted this question someone was good enough to actually look up the pertinent rule. "Yellow lines are in play". Many hear that "Yellow line is a home run." The actual rule is ABOVE the yellow line is a home run. Many people, including me, were confused.

I can't find it now, but I remember a major league baseball park where the outfield wall had a yellow line painted above the 12 foot mark, but the fence was like 20-25 feet tall (not Fenway). I remember seeing home runs being called off the balls bouncing from above the yellow line.
This is another park where that phenomenon is possible. Notice at center field that yellow line showing a small wedge where the ball can hit the outfield fence, but is still a home run.
1024px-Marlins_First_Pitch_at_Marlins_Park%2C_April_4%2C_2012.jpg

220px-Marlins_Park_home_run_feature.jpg

Last edited: