Holtmann OSU Coach

Since DB135 hasn't provided any info other than the headline and the Dispatch currently has no info on him in their article, here's what I have read about him elsewhere.

Holtmann spent the last three seasons at Butler where he posted a 70–31 record overall. He helped guide the Bulldogs to the NCAA tournament in all three seasons. Butler was 25–9 overall last season, finished second in the Big East and made it to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament.

Holtmann was named the 2017 Big East coach of the season.

I also know he has done a solid job recruiting for a school like Butler.

Figured the Billy Donovan and Greg Marshall was wishful thinking. Not a good enough program for them to bail for. Marshall is waiting for a legit blue chip school and I think Donovan would only leave for a select few. Only way they could get those two is a fat stack of cash and prayer

Figured the Billy Donovan and Greg Marshall was wishful thinking. Not a good enough program for them to bail for. Marshall is waiting for a legit blue chip school and I think Donovan would only leave for a select few. Only way they could get those two is a fat stack of cash and prayer

Agree on Donovan but think Marshall would have been an option if the timing wasn't so bad. I could see Marshall moving over to Kansas if Self continues to have top ranked teams miss out on the Final Four.

Agree on Donovan but think Marshall would have been an option if the timing wasn't so bad. I could see Marshall moving over to Kansas if Self continues to have top ranked teams miss out on the Final Four.

I think Marshall having a good team coming back played into it no doubt.

Not privy to the Kansas situation but I wonder how quickly people have forgotten about his national championship and final run in 2012. Wouldn't be surprised if he had his sights set on Kansas

Feel more sad for Butler than happy for OSU. Butler can't afford to pay a coach more than a million dollars a year, where as 3 million dollars a year is chump change for a school like OSU.

Totally disagree, has nothing to do about being a blue chip program but everything about the greenbacks. Billy D. makes 6 million dollars a year at OK City, think he is going to go anywhere for less than that, hell no. If Billy D. could win 2 national championships at Fla. he could do the same at OSU. It is ALL about the money.

This still strikes me as hiring a "poor man's Marshall" thing to do, as if Smith didn't want to open the checkbook to swing for the fences in order to avoid the risk of Marshall ending up like Shaka Smart at Texas. So, let's play it safe & not break the bank.

It may be "pragmatic," but it doesn't generate any excitement either.

Feel more sad for Butler than happy for OSU. Butler can't afford to pay a coach more than a million dollars a year, where as 3 million dollars a year is chump change for a school like OSU.

Counterpoint: this is good for Butler. I liken it to Xavier. Sure they are a stepping stone for good coaches but they keep attracting up and coming guys who turn out pretty good. Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller have all gone on to bigger conferences and done well. And now Mack has kept Xavier where it's at.

With ten players on the roster and probably six or seven that are starters he'll need some freshman that can play now.Will he bring a transfer or two and maybe someone from Junior College

Totally disagree, has nothing to do about being a blue chip program but everything about the greenbacks. Billy D. makes 6 million dollars a year at OK City, think he is going to go anywhere for less than that, hell no. If Billy D. could win 2 national championships at Fla. he could do the same at OSU. It is ALL about the money.

Obviously they weren't willing to pony up the money so we won't ever know. A blue chip program committed to basketball would offer the right amount of cash if they wanted him. However Marshall has a low buyout this year and he wouldn't cost 6 million to bring in. As alluded to earlier he has a great team coming back and that may influence his decision to pass on Indiana and OSU. Not sure if he was even offered either job.

I'm not sure on the specifics but from what I've read (albeit not much), if he asks for and Butler grants a release for his LOI, no sitting out. If he just transfers, yes. And with that said, I'm not sure if he has even signed his LOI.

Great hire, IMO. Had Gene Smith done this at the right time, it may have been Archie Miller here a month ago. Holtmann might have wound up as the Hoosiers coach, possibly. Either way, they are similar hires and I believe each will do a great job at their new schools.

I was a Thad fan, but he had to go. His health was impaired to the point he could not keep up the pace he set during his first ten years.

Great Hire for Ohio State. It may take a couple years to get his players here, but he has proven he can recruit and get them to succeed. Anyone that thought Donovan was going to come to Ohio State when he has a good gig at OKC or Sean Miller at Arizona (Top 5 Program) is crazy. OSU Basketball isn't even close to the clout that OSU Football brings. I would take him over Archie any way. He is coaching in the Big East and has shown he can beat great programs and get lesser talent in the tournament and succeed. I believe Gene was going to give Thad one more year, but Thad started losing recruits and it was going to be hard to recruit at this point, so he had to pull the plug now. Unfornately, Thad's health issues were slowing him down and couldn't keep up. He had to go. Should Gene had let him go after last year? One could make an argument, but his past success at OSU probably gave Gene enough to pursuade him to give him more time, but then the wheels fell off and they had to get another coach.

Last edited:
Great Hire for Ohio State. It may take a couple years to get his players here, but he has proven he can recruit and get them to succeed. Anyone that thought Donovan was going to come to Ohio State when he has a good gig at OKC or Sean Miller at Arizona (Top 5 Program) is crazy. OSU Basketball isn't even close to the clout that OSU Football brings. I would take him over Archie any way. He is coaching in the Big East and has shown he can beat great programs and get lesser talent in the tournament and succeed. I believe Gene was going to give Thad one more year, but Thad started losing recruits and it was going to be hard to recruit at this point, so he had to pull the plug now. Unfornately, Thad's health issues were slowing him down and couldn't keep up. He had to go. Should Gene had let him go after last year? One could make an argument, but his past success at OSU probably gave Gene enough to pursuade him to give him more time, but then the wheels fell off and they had to get another coach.

Agreed. Quite frankly, Holtmann might have still been the choice if Thad was fired back when Miller was still available. We'll never know, and I was an Archie fan, but I am thrilled to get Holtmann. Of course, Holtmann and Miller are not tied at the hip, and will be measured against each other for the rest of their time at OSU and IU.

If Holtmann can get Young to come to Columbus, that would be something to get excited about. I saw him play at Flying to the Hoop, and that kid can ball. Young and Dane Goodwin together on the floor would be fierce.

Should have at least four scholarships available for 2018 in addition to Goodwin. Holtmann can turn this around pretty quickly just by locking down Ohio the next couple years and plucking a few others from across the Midwest. Ohio's 2018 and 2019 classes are very good. It would a huge bonus if he could bring Young in this year.

OK City lost Durant last season and Westbrook will be a free agent after next season don't think Donovan is interested in playing 2nd fiddle to Golden State for the next several years. Reportedly Donovan is interested in coming back to the college game but it is going to cost someone serious dollars to sign him. OSU wasn't willing to ante up. Meyer makes over 6 mil a year at OSU, Holtmann reportedly 3 mil a year that's all you need to know what OSU thinks about bball compared to football.

OK City lost Durant last season and Westbrook will be a free agent after next season don't think Donovan is interested in playing 2nd fiddle to Golden State for the next several years. Reportedly Donovan is interested in coming back to the college game but it is going to cost someone serious dollars to sign him. OSU wasn't willing to ante up. Meyer makes over 6 mil a year at OSU, Holtmann reportedly 3 mil a year that's all you need to know what OSU thinks about bball compared to football.

Indiana is a blue blood college basketball program. They got Archie Miller, not Billy Donovan. Sometimes the timing isn't right. The timing was right for Holtmann. It's a good hire.

Lol Chris Mack said no, McDermit said no, Sean Miller said no, yet OSU got their top choice. OSU is probably not even second in its own state any longer in terms of Basketball programs.

There's no way they would have even considered giving Billy D 6-7 million when they're going to still be paying Thad 3 million a year for the next three years. Donovan supposedly wants around 8 million to come back to the college game. There's also no way that the basketball coach would ever make more than a highly successful football coach at OSU, so Urban would have to get a raise up to 8 million or more.

Lol Chris Mack said no, McDermit said no, Sean Miller said no, yet OSU got their top choice. OSU is probably not even second in its own state any longer in terms of Basketball programs.

I don't think anybody with a functioning brain would try to argue them as being any better than third with the current state of the program. Over the last few years you could argue Dayton has also been better.