Holgate becomes the 3rd member of the Northern 8

radiodaveagain

During tonight's BOE meeting - Holgate becomes the 3rd member of the Northern 8 - (8-man) football conference....The Buckeye Border Conference has extended an invitation for Holgate to join in all sports (outside football). The BBC has expressed hopes for a response in the next 60 days.

Ohio (8-Man) Football Central SCOREBOARD

I think Danbury is still waiting for BOE approval...they were at the recent meeting of the four schools - Toledo Christian and Stryker....

BREAKING: @crescentsports reports that Holgate's school board has approved a move to the Northern 8 football conference from 2020-2023, committing the Tigers to 8-man football. Toledo Christian, Danbury, and Stryker are also confirmed for the league.

I can’t believe i’m Saying this, but I’d love to see a bunch of these small schools start it up instead of struggling so bad with numbers for the 11-man game. It’s too bad the startup costs are so expensive for equipment, etc because there are some schools out there that don’t have football that could with 8-man.

Attended a 6 man and an 8 man game in Colorado this weekend.

It's football. No matter what some try to say.

Photos from the games for those curious.

My alma mater in Michigan went to 8-man a couple of years ago after struggling for decades with numbers. They are 7-1 after starting 7-0 for the first time in school history.

This after a handful of canceled seasons, forfeited games, and maybe one or two winning seasons in 30 years.

I don't have much of a connection to the community any more, but I'm sure no one is sitting around wishing they were playing 11 man and getting ready to pack up the equipment for the year (assuming they were able to field a team) instead of getting ready for the 8-man playoff.

They've made deep runs in the basketball tournament in recent years, so are in the midst of an uptick in talent...but it's unlikely that they'd ever have enough kids to field a competitive 11-man team for more than half a season before injuries and a lack of depth started taking its toll.

BREAKING: @crescentsports reports that Holgate's school board has approved a move to the Northern 8 football conference from 2020-2023, committing the Tigers to 8-man football. Toledo Christian, Danbury, and Stryker are also confirmed for the league.
The same Holgate School Board meeting also confirmed that they've been invited to join the Buckeye Border Conference in all other sports. I doubt that they'll accept that offer even if that conference's enrollments more closely match their own.

The same Holgate School Board meeting also confirmed that they've been invited to join the Buckeye Border Conference in all other sports. I doubt that they'll accept that offer even if that conference's enrollments more closely match their own.

Is the GMC allowing them to stay on without participating in football?

I'm glad this is going well. With Ohio's declining population coupled with a declining number of overall players, something had to be done. I can see, within a couple of years, more D7 schools will move to 8-man and might, potentially, force OHSAA to reorganize the divisions and make a new D8 (for 8-man) or redo the divisions and D7 will be 8-man. I'm guessing that most of the D7 schools have, at least, had a discussion about this.

OHSAA absolutely needs to recognize the 8-man thing and eventually make a playoff system for it. Its going to save some Friday night lights around the State. I am sure there was some excitement around the Holgate community this year instead of the dread of playing Wayne Trace. There will be some renewed excitement at Danbury beyond the Week 1 game against Vanlue.