Hoban's Tim Tyrrell to the University of Akron?

Tony Annese at Ferris State is the guy they should target. He's old enough that it would probably be his last stop. Pretty much built them into a DII National Power out of nothing in a place that makes Akron look like the French Riviera.

I think it would actually be a pretty bold move to hire a HS coach but in all honesty what does Akron have to lose. They're already miserable, might as well hire somebody that is risky with some upside potential.

If Miami is the cradle of coaches, Akron is the graveyard of coaches.

Coach T has done a great job at Hoban, but D1 is a different animal. I will be interested to see where Arth ends up.

Akron and Kent always recruit where they think the grass is greener. N.E. Ohio Western PA has so much talent but the kids don't play at Akron and not that many more play at Kent.

If you take away the band at the game the other night, I have seen more fans at CYO games at Infocision.

The AD at Akron tipped his hand in mentioning "portal transfers". It sounds like he is looking for someone with D 1 experience to bring in transfers to jump start the program.

Can't see Akron extending an offer to Tim. Don't think a MAC school would offer a High School Coach. Its a whole lot different trying to recruit than being handed D1 athletes.

Didn't Tyrell coach in college before down in Florida or was that HS also?
Tyrrell has been head coach of Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory School in Hollywood, Fla., where he amassed a 39-18 record over five seasons. In just his second season at Chaminade-Madonna, the team finished with 12-1 record and reached the state semifinal in Class 2B. He was named “South Florida Coach of the Year” by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and District Coach of the Year in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

Prior to coaching in Florida, Tyrrell was head coach at St. Thomas Aquinas in Louisville for six seasons and spent a year as offensive coordinator immediately preceding that. He also had experience as the tight ends/tackles coach from 1998 to 2001 at Youngstown State, where he spent time on staff with Jim Tressel, former head coach of Ohio State University.

You forgot to mention Coach Moore’s 6-1 record versus his arch rival.
Good point. Those are his biggest wins. Another reason Moore is an attractive candidate. He will probably get an interview at least.

Akron has to get over themselves and see their program for what it is. A good college coach wouldn't want to be here.

News broke this morning that University of Akron head football coach Tom Arth has been fired, effective immediately.

So, why is this news on a HIGH SCHOOL football forum?

Because, according to reporter Zac Jackson, one of the first names to seriously consider is highly successful Hoban HS head coach Tim Tyrell. Quite frankly, if Tyrell were to make the jump - who could blame him?

I am sure it would be one hell of a bump in salary. And he can feel very satisfied with the job he has done at Hoban. He has an unparalleled level of success in his time there, and he certainly maintained the level of excellence when the program was handed off to him from Ralph Orsini.

Tyrell has explored college opportunities before - being a finalist for the Youngstown State job in 2019. He certainly would bring a very strong recruiting base to the University.

But this could all boil down to which path the University chooses to take. Tyrell has accomplished everything there is to accomplish on the high school level at Hoban, but would the administration be comfortable turning the keys to the programs to an unproven talent at the college level? Only they can answer that.

Vince Kehres and Tim Tyrell would both make sense. Tyrell is a Tressel disciple, and understands how winning cultures are built at the college level. Obviously, same with Kehres, who has turned down Matt Campbell a time or two, and who's father is one of college football's winningest coaches of all time.

Didn't Tyrell coach in college before down in Florida or was that HS also?
This is from the Hoban Athletics Teams Football Coaches page -

"Tyrrell has been head coach of Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory School in Hollywood, Fla., where he amassed a 39-18 record over five seasons. In just his second season at Chaminade-Madonna, the team finished with 12-1 record and reached the state semifinal in Class 2B. He was named “South Florida Coach of the Year” by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and District Coach of the Year in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

Prior to coaching in Florida, Tyrrell was head coach at St. Thomas Aquinas in Louisville for six seasons and spent a year as offensive coordinator immediately preceding that. He also had experience as the tight ends/tackles coach from 1998 to 2001 at Youngstown State, where he spent time on staff with Jim Tressel, former head coach of Ohio State University."

Wonder if Vince Kehres will get a call
I would look no further than Kehres. He learned from the best and winning is simply part of his DNA. If you ever took a look at the Mt. Union rosters during his time and his fathers time you will see it was full of kids from fla and the south. I’m sure many of these kids were boarderline D2 type players and even some D1 talent. Bottom line is the man knows how to recruit and spot talent. Convincing kids where in some cases Akron might be a better fit than say Ohio State. There is absolutely nothing to lose by hiring Kehres. I do however believe that there are some places where it is nearly impossible to win….. Akron would be on the list.

Last edited:
People said you couldn't win at Kent State either and they are sitting a top the MAC East with a 4-1 record and beat West MAC leader Northern Illinois Weds. Night. They win 1 more game and they will be Bowl Eligible.
There are enough MAC type HS players in the Mid West to make Akron a winner. Just needs the right guy at the helm.

People said you couldn't win at Kent State either and they are sitting a top the MAC East with a 4-1 record and beat West MAC leader Northern Illinois Weds. Night. They win 1 more game and they will be Bowl Eligible.
There are enough MAC type HS players in the Mid West to make Akron a winner. Just needs the right guy at the helm.
Which is exactly why Akron should hire someone that is already on a college staff and knows recruiting etc. If they hire a HS coach, no matter who it is they will be hiring another coach in 3 years or less.

Which is exactly why Akron should hire someone that is already on a college staff and knows recruiting etc. If they hire a HS coach, no matter who it is they will be hiring another coach in 3 years or less.
I disagree, it would turn out to be something pretty good. There are some very good high school coaches that choose not to go to the next level. ie. Bob Hurley

I disagree, it would turn out to be something pretty good. There are some very good high school coaches that choose not to go to the next level. ie. Bob Hurley
High school to college coaches have provided pretty dismal results. They actually are so rare that it’s hard to really gauge if it could work. I can only think of two right off the cuff…. Bob Commings going from Massillon to Iowa which turned out to be a massive failure and Gerry Faust to ND, also a massive failure. Are there any examples of the opposite?

High school to college coaches have provided pretty dismal results. They actually are so rare that it’s hard to really gauge if it could work. I can only think of two right off the cuff…. Bob Commings going from Massillon to Iowa which turned out to be a massive failure and Gerry Faust to ND, also a massive failure. Are there any examples of the opposite?
Chip Kelly?

The AD at Akron is relatively new, still in his first year. He came from a program at UWGB that didn't have football. This hire will be his first real test.

While the pay would be better, I'm not sure what sane person would want to take the UA coaching job unless all they cared about is money.

If I was in that position I'd rather wait for a respectable school that has a decent athletic program and decent leadership university-wide.

UA has been mess after mess for years not just in athletics but the school overall.

Although I would be glad to see Tyrell out of Hoban and the school go back to actually being a respectable school instead of one that puts athletics ahead of academics. (for example how they have a proud tradition under him of letting in students for athletics that aren't academically qualified)

The two times they had good coaches in Jim Dennison and Lee Owens they got rid of them in search of bigger names. Hire a very young Division I assistant with a ton of enthusiasm, P.J. Fleck type, and let them run with it. It is going to take some time. Maybe Corey Dennis at OSU (Urban's son-in-law) or Kenny Guiton (former OSU backup QB), a Colorado St. asst.