Hoban, St V, Walsh, Eds, and Iggy Should Form Their Own League

Boys OHSAA numbers:
Ignatius- 1163
Ed's- 722
Walsh- 376
SVSM- 244

That's a huge difference.

I rememeber the ICC (Inter County Conference) of the early 80's- SVSM, Walsh, CCC and St. Thomas.

Ed's and Ignatius have complete parity in football. Hoban is near there but I wonder long term if they can continue their stretch of success over the long haul. Walsh would be the basement dweller of the league, which is too bad, they should have a better football program than they do. SVSM would struggle too. On paper this makes sense, two Holy Cross schools paired with two Jesuit schools, both having an enrollment counterpart plus a school that can be in the mix. But I don't think the smaller schools would want to be competing against Ignatius and Ed's regularly year in and year out.

Stated that before also. 2 private divisions, big and small.

This is all fun and games until Lutheran west and Villa Angela-St. Joseph are division 1.
If the playoff format stays the same then all but 8 total teams will miss the playoffs and now St. Edward is playing Hawken in the first round

This is all fun and games until Lutheran west and Villa Angela-St. Joseph are division 1.
If the playoff format stays the same then all but 8 total teams will miss the playoffs and now St. Edward is playing Hawken in the first round

They'd obviously be small division. Nothing says each division HAS to have same number of teams. That's half the reason we're in the mess we're already in especially the lower division crybabies. If I were king the big school division would be D1, D2 and maybe half of D3. However many teams that is so be it.

I still think each sport should be handled individually. There is no way that any Cleveland public school outside of Glenville should be higher than Div V in football. Their enrollment may say they should be in II but in all reality due to a variety of reasons they should be playing in much smaller Divisions. Hawken is barely fielding a football team, they should be in Div VII but on the flip side their swimming team is a juggernaut and should be competing in Div I.

They'd obviously be small division. Nothing says each division HAS to have same number of teams. That's half the reason we're in the mess we're already in especially the lower division crybabies. If I were king the big school division would be D1, D2 and maybe half of D3. However many teams that is so be it.
That’s a fair point. I’d like to point out that would only be 20 some teams in the top division.

It should not be based on enrollment alone but a system that of merit. Start everyone in enrollment base, after first year award points for wins, playoff appearances and state championships. Create a tiered system for success. Move teams up based on these criteria. It’s very manageable and we all know enrollment is not sole criteria for success.

I could maybe see something like this working in the Summit/Mahoning/Stark area:

Walsh - 376 - DII
Hoban- 324 - DII
SVSM - 244 - DIII
CVCA - 207 - DIV
Ursaline - 183 - DIV
Mooney - 149 - DIV
CCC - 133 - DV

CCC competes with a number of Federal League teams, so "playing up" probably wouldn't be much of a roadblock for them. They play most of these schools occasionally as it is. They sometimes have issues with finding opponents, regularly having to bring in a team from Canada to fill out their schedule. A league would help with that problem with Perry and St. Thomas also locked in annually.

I could maybe see something like this working in the Summit/Mahoning/Stark area:

Walsh - 376 - DII
Hoban- 324 - DII
SVSM - 244 - DIII
CVCA - 207 - DIV
Ursaline - 183 - DIV
Mooney - 149 - DIV
CCC - 133 - DV

CCC competes with a number of Federal League teams, so "playing up" probably wouldn't be much of a roadblock for them. They play most of these schools occasionally as it is. They sometimes have issues with finding opponents, regularly having to bring in a team from Canada to fill out their schedule. A league would help with that problem with Perry and St. Thomas also locked in annually.

CCC fits more in line with the EBC or the PAC............this league would be of no benefit to Hoban or Walsh.....it would kill their computer points......WAR LASALLE

That's just not true. The league leaves open 4 non-league weeks, plenty to get in those harbin cow games. And replacing the weak public school and out-of-state games with these schools seems like a gain.

Last edited:
That's just not true. The league leaves open 4 non-league weeks, plenty to get in those harbin cow games. And replacing the weak public school and out-of-state games with these schools seems like a gain.

I suggest you look at Hoban's recent schedules before declaring yourself correct! They already play Ursuline, Walsh, SVSM, and on occasion Mooney, they are not going to add another D4 and a D5 team to their schedule. Adding those schools does nothing for Hoban, low Harbins, and it doesn't prepare them for the playoffs. I really don't see how this benefits your school CCC, as I stated, the Crusaders would be better served playing in the EBC, most years they would be in competition for the top of the league.

I did look at Hoban’s previous schedule, though I’m not sure you have. You seem to be assuming they’ve played a bunch of good teams, which they have not. They would have played at least as tough a schedule last year if this league existed.

How would it not benefit them? They’re DV playing up most of the time and it helps fill out their schedule. Winning a weak league isn’t going to help them as much as playing in a tough one.

Stated that before also. 2 private divisions, big and small. 5 public divisions. (Or actually 4 would be fine w/ me). As far as this specific league - not the best idea imo but worth discussion.
I think that's a great idea. The only fair way to do it. Even where Open enrollment school's push the envelope with players coming in they still cannot consistently compete with the Pinocchio's. We're talking a few quality player's compared to a hand picked and voucher paid team. Perfect example, Mentor. A great established program but unable to overcome a private picked talent laden roster.

Didn't Mentor lose to Pick Central last season?

Is Pick Central now a private school?

Didn't PC then beat Elder for the title?

What about Cincinnati Moeller, St.X, Lasalle, Hoban, St Ed, Iggy, Cincinnati Princeton in a league for football

Boys OHSAA numbers:
Ignatius- 1163
Ed's- 722
Walsh- 376
SVSM- 244

That's a huge difference.

I rememeber the ICC (Inter County Conference) of the early 80's- SVSM, Walsh, CCC and St. Thomas.

Those numbers do not matter. They all recruit, they all cheat...let them play each other and then they can stop whining about "Nobody will play us".

Walsh has no problem bringing in great baseball players from all over the state. St. V the same in basketball. Why is it a problem in football? This league is a no brainer. Once again big worm speaks THE TRUTH!