Hoban Knights-Best team in the State

I think it would be a good close game if X played Hoban. People seem to forget that Hoban beat Avon the previous week 28-14 and X had a more impressive win over PC that same night 44-3 with a running clock the whole second half. X had tougher competition on the way to the state finals since D1 is tougher to get through in the playoffs than D2.

I don't understand why Ignatius is still some kind of litmus test or mark after a blowout.

If anyone has been watching it's happening more than the name "Ignatius" should carry it.

62 to X this year
42-0 to Dematha last year
Losing to Canadian team last year.

Yet Ignatius managed to be 2-1 against Hoban the past 4 years.

I am a Hoban fan but D1 is another level of football especially if you have to play 15 games to win it all. A 10 game D1 grinder schedule is different that D2 or D3. Not to mention once you hit the playoffs. Hoban's Team this year was very good, but I remember the same comments after Hoban's previous state championship teams. I think Hoban in D2 is where it needs to be long term utilizing competitive balance. Look at Hoban's overall team numbers in terms of roster size. Last year I would argue the injury bug bit them for the first time in this run. I believe this year they were fairly healthy headed into the finals.

The defense was very good, but I haven't found a defense yet like the St. V Defense of Booker, Campbell, Williams & Co. That defensive was very special.

I'd love to say Hoban after what I witnessed, and would have, but that X performance was too much. That shocked me more. I'd say 50/50 at best. Which is impressive enough, vs. a D1 private power how many times their size(?).

Would love to have seen a Hoban-X matchup this year. I'm a proponent of Ohio having "open division" in the postseason to allow these games to come to fruition. No reason these Hoban, LaSalle, and Massillon teams should be competing in a lower division the past 5 years or so.
I agree 100%. California has the “Open” Division, so the power programs, ie Mater Dei, De La Salle don’t continuously over run their enrollment division. Works out very well, would love to see Ohio adopt this.

St.X is like Michigan St. is in basketball. Forget the season, when tourney time arrives, they are a different animal. Weren’t they like 5-5 a couple of years ago, and won it all. I know they play a very tough schedule, which could give them an edge over Hoban.

I agree 100%. California has the “Open” Division, so the power programs, ie Mater Dei, De La Salle don’t continuously over run their enrollment division. Works out very well, would love to see Ohio adopt this.
Arizona with rampant stacking of super public teams also goes with the OPEN division concept for the all star teams

St.X is like Michigan St. is in basketball. Forget the season, when tourney time arrives, they are a different animal. Weren’t they like 5-5 a couple of years ago, and won it all. I know they play a very tough schedule, which could give them an edge over Hoban.

Yup. Iggy/Ed too though Iggy is noticeably down. I suspect Hoban will be like that too someday. As scheduling becomes harder. That pedigree they built becomes genetic and lasts awhile.

I am a Hoban fan but D1 is another level of football especially if you have to play 15 games to win it all. A 10 game D1 grinder schedule is different that D2 or D3. Not to mention once you hit the playoffs. Hoban's Team this year was very good, but I remember the same comments after Hoban's previous state championship teams. I think Hoban in D2 is where it needs to be long term utilizing competitive balance. Look at Hoban's overall team numbers in terms of roster size. Last year I would argue the injury bug bit them for the first time in this run. I believe this year they were fairly healthy headed into the finals.

The defense was very good, but I haven't found a defense yet like the St. V Defense of Booker, Campbell, Williams & Co. That defensive was very special.

Good point. Could Hoban grind out a state championship at a D1 level year in and year out? The Hoban program is such they will take the steps necessary to do so. It starts off season in the weight room. No one does it better than Hoban.

Hoban's dline was really good.

Still the best front 4 I have watched is the 95 Ignatius team. 4 D1 guys. 1 to Wisconsin, 1 to Boston College (and the Minnesota Vikings) 1 to Yale, and to Colorado State.

Ohio has some really good talent.

Good point. Could Hoban grind out a state championship at a D1 level year in and year out? The Hoban program is such they will take the steps necessary to do so. It starts off season in the weight room. No one does it better than Hoban.
Think the kids at Kirtland might have an argument for you with that. All the schools in the finals typically have great lifting/off season programs. The thing that separates the champs from the runners up is imposing their will on the offense and defense lines

Again, did you not watch the X/PC game. PC was loaded with D1 talent and an awesome defense. X shredded that defense for 4 tds in the first qtr. Hobans signature win before Massillon was over a weak St Ed team who later got beat by average Medina team in the playoffs. Try playing Elder, Lakota West, Springfield, and PC in successive weeks. Move up to big boy football in D1 before you claim to be the best

PC was exposed defensively against Mentor with a sophomore making his first start. They feasted on a weak scehdule up to that game. It was no surprise X passed all over them after seeing the chink in the armor. Hoban’s defense was every bit as good as Lakota and Springfield. D1 FBS talent at every level. X would have had their hands full.

Who will Hoban schedule in 2021. Walsh Jesuit STVM Ignatius Ed’s possibly Ursuline and Benny....who else will play them ???

5 state titles over a 6 year span - while jumping up a division as well.

In my mind, that begins and ends the discussion. But it is all how you define that word "best".

Who will Hoban schedule in 2021. Walsh Jesuit STVM Ignatius Ed’s possibly Ursuline and Benny....who else will play them ???

If Covid is still around in Fall 2021, its possible the playoff format will remain the same. Every team makes the playoffs. That may help those better teams in the state to schedule.

Hoban's dline was really good.

Still the best front 4 I have watched is the 95 Ignatius team. 4 D1 guys. 1 to Wisconsin, 1 to Boston College (and the Minnesota Vikings) 1 to Yale, and to Colorado State.

Ohio has some really good talent.

That is saying alot. Iggy's 7th title in an 8 year run. I still can't decide between them and Mighty Mo during their peaks, as the best football teams I have ever seen. Hoban ain't far behind but... no. Given their enrollment however is absolutely remarkable. For one season Canton McKinley 97 is right there too.