Hoban 2019-2020

SeeYaSometime

Hoban’s new coach is Pam Davis, formerly at Canton McKinley.

It should be interesting how she does without a 3x Ms Ohio Basketball on her team.

Also interesting to this story is the reason previous coach Scott Callahan resigned. Evidently his son, who is a basketball player himself, wanted no part of attending Hoban. He’ll be a ninth grader and remain at Wadsworth. His Dad thought it a conflict of interest.

I’m not buying the conflict of interest angle you theorize. TK Griffith has 2 daughters who played on the girl’s teams over the years.

The kids will earn whatever the kids earn - and the other players know it.

Maybe there are other reasons the son isn’t going to Hoban, but I’m saying conflict of interest related to basketball isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s simply that Scott graduated from Wadsworth and has taught and lived in Wadsworth his entire career. Scott and his kids are Grizzlies. It was pretty well known here here that Scott was going to leave Hoban so he could watch his son play.

Could it be Coach C was tired of the shenanigans that continually happen at the castle?”
Coach C also timed his resignation with the graduation of his last elite class. Luckily Pam has already put her recruitment hat on and pulled a stud from St V and has began working on all the talented junior highers & their families. Now they can recruit “legally”!

It's a private school, they have to recruit kids to go there.... so the junior high angle is pure nonsense. As for Riley, she's sitting half the year and the tourney so it must have been bad enough at the last school to give up that much to switch.

As for Coach Davis, you all act like she never coached before she had Bell. Keep disrespecting what she's done for these kids on and off the court over YEARS of coaching. It shows pure ignorance.

It's a private school, they have to recruit kids to go there.... so the junior high angle is pure nonsense. As for Riley, she's sitting half the year and the tourney so it must have been bad enough at the last school to give up that much to switch.
Recruitment is violating OHSAA rules when the focus is athletics. That is what the focus has been with those junior high kids. It happens many places, we all know it but your constant defense their tactics makes it hard to find you credible and helps you sound as ignorant as the Pam critics you constantly attack.
As for Riley, I’m sure getting to join Pam for spring/summer ball had a much to do with it as whatever unsubstantiated “problems” you’re hinting at. I’ve also heard Riley was under the impression she may not have to sit the 2nd half of the season, wonder which school & staff benefited from that nugget of info ???‍♂️

Pam is in the HOF and gets constant praise & awards for her coaching so I don’t know how you think she’s being disrespected. She’s a solid coach. You just seem to completely ignore any of the mistakes or missteps also made. Maybe you’re too close to her who knows. All in all, I’m glad the season is here!! Girls basketball is so fun in NEO

Never have ignored any mistakes/missteps but if you think they're only promoting athletics and not the high quality experience overall at Hoban including academics, then you're the one being blind.

I think that it’s hard to promote the academics of a place you have never taught at and/or barely been. The junior high students we are talking about were playing St V V/JV summer league until Pam stopped by their HOMES for an athletic & “academic” conversation.

I think you seem close to Pam & possibly biased but I love hearing from you.

I noticed some unusual things at Hoban yesterday during their scrimmages. Coaches, one assistant in particular were screaming at the refs (during a scrimmage, must be getting ready for the season as well I guess?), and a couple players melting down on the court. Taking the game and success seriously is understood, I just don't think I would want my daughter playing there even if their academics are considered a notch above others.

Melting down? Come on K-1122... you can't be serious. First, the team had 2 seniors, zero juniors, and all others were freshmen and sophomores playing. Second, they held their own very well against very good competition. Third, what little bickering there was at the refs came from all coaches because the officiating wasn't great. You're really reaching.

CityLife, it's not hard to know the academic standards of a place like Hoban and yes the athletics/strength & conditioning facilities/etc are a draw. If you think they took that job without knowing something about the school beyond basketball, that's just crazy. Yes, they have to RECRUIT kids that are middle school age and younger to come to the school or they won't have a program going forward. If the city schools want to stop it, offer a better option or clue those kids in to all that you apparently know about how little the coaches care for anything but their own success smh.

Melting down? Come on K-1122... you can't be serious. First, the team had 2 seniors, zero juniors, and all others were freshmen and sophomores playing. Second, they held their own very well against very good competition. Third, what little bickering there was at the refs came from all coaches because the officiating wasn't great. You're really reaching.

CityLife, it's not hard to know the academic standards of a place like Hoban and yes the athletics/strength & conditioning facilities/etc are a draw. If you think they took that job without knowing something about the school beyond basketball, that's just crazy. Yes, they have to RECRUIT kids that are middle school age and younger to come to the school or they won't have a program going forward. If the city schools want to stop it, offer a better option or clue those kids in to all that you apparently know about how little the coaches care for anything but their own success smh.

?The melt down I was referring to has nothing to do with how well Hoban played, as like you said they held their own...I was describing a few of the players almost in tears for whatever reason...I saw several games that day and no coaches responses came close to what Hoban's bench displayed. It just was unusual for scrimmage, that's all.