Highschool exhibition games with shot clock this November

Every other state with a pulse has a HS shot clock. Time to get out of the 1960s boomers.
If by every state with a pulse you mean only New York, Maryland, and California, then sure. Outside of those three only a handful of other states that are largely inconsequential use a clock at this point.

I think the shot clock is probably coming within the next 3-5 years, but I see it being ugly for several years as well as being a pain for schools to operate. As a coach I don't want anything to do with a "varsity only" scenario like I saw on a coaches association questionnaire in Michigan. That's a recipe for horrible basketball. If you're going to add it, it needs to start in 7th grade so that kids have several years to learn and adapt to all of the extra late clock scenarios on both sides of the ball before getting to the varsity level.

Less than 6% move on to play basketball in college
Less than 1% move on to play D1 in college

99.99% have a future in life

The shot clock doesn't affect the latter.
The lessons learned in practice and games can reach further than on the court. The game can prepare kids for a future in many ways. You are small minded.

The lessons learned in practice and games can reach further than on the court. The game can prepare kids for a future in many ways. You are small minded.
How will a shot clock help prepare kids more for their future than not having one?

Last edited:
I have no guarantees. How will it hurt them? Learning to make good decisions quick or with limited time is not a bad thing.
The current pace of play for most teams already is within 35 seconds offensively. A shot clock will happen eventually just curious as to why you think it will have long lasting impact on the kids.

Can’t have it both ways.....

If we are using that analogy now, it applies to everything else.
I found that comment pretty funny as the irony was evident.

Next time a school gets accused of recruiting instead of running from the accusation they should confidently reply " just preparing the kids for the next level".

The current pace of play for most teams already is within 35 seconds offensively. A shot clock will happen eventually just curious as to why you think it will have long lasting impact on the kids.
I never made such a claim. My claim was that high school basketball and it's teachings can help prepare kids for a future in many ways.

So you agree with my small mind.

I have always held (or I wouldn't have stayed a part of it for over 5 decades) that interscholastic sports is a great learning tool for life, with football being the best teacher....

The assertion was made that a shot clock will help players prepare for life..... which is silly.

Last edited:

I have always held (or I wouldn't have stayed a part of it for over 5 decades) that interscholastic sports is a great learning tool for life, with football being the best teacher....

The assertion was made that a shot clock will help players prepare for life..... which is silly.
It finally makes sense. A football guy sticking his nose in basketball. You can’t help it. Your opinion is skewed. You probably think a shot clock would be a better football conditioner.

It finally makes sense. A football guy sticking his nose in basketball. You can’t help it. Your opinion is skewed. You probably think a shot clock would be a better football conditioner.
Football guy ??:ROFLMAO:

Swing and a miss there comrade.

I have officiated, taught, instructed, etc.... 4 sports and currently am active in 3 (FB, BB, BK).

The small mind thinks that a shot clock can only help the tiny percentage of kids looking to play in college. I fell it can help all players to make quick decisions and improve that for a future in anything. The shot clock to me will not change a kids life but life is about choices and some of them need to be made quickly and having experience making good choices quick cannot be bad.

Also, officials don’t look at the game the way players and coaches do. They think the game exists for them. That’s two big strikes against you.
I disagree. Refs do it so the games can be played for the players. I think more often coaches think the games exist for them. At least the egotistical blowhards do.

Also, officials don’t look at the game the way players and coaches do. They think the game exists for them. That’s two big strikes against you.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: And you've now struck out on each of your last two posts...... because a quick look back at all the shot clock discussions on here would tell you that as an official, I could care less if it becomes a rule or not. I'll teach it and officiate it to the letter of the rule making sure that we have all our bases covered when situations arise surrounding the clock. I've already been in contact with people in the states that currently use the clock who are on the teaching, instructing, and interpreting side of the avocation so that when it's our time to implement the rule, we can from an officiating standpoint, do it as seamless as possible.

None of that means I can't have an opinion on the matter.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: And you've now struck out on each of your last two posts...... because a quick look back at all the shot clock discussions on here would tell you that as an official, I could care less if it becomes a rule or not. I'll teach it and officiate it to the letter of the rule making sure that we have all our bases covered when situations arise surrounding the clock. I've already been in contact with people in the states that currently use the clock who are on the teaching, instructing, and interpreting side of the avocation so that when it's our time to implement the rule, we can from an officiating standpoint, do it as seamless as possible.

None of that means I can't have an opinion on the matter.
Ok, but like I said you’re a football guy and an official. That means, if you played basketball you were a poor player (no shot and no left hand), and you have no feel for the game. Your opinion doesn’t count. Lol

Ok, but like I said you’re a football guy and an official. That means, if you played basketball you were a poor player (no shot and no left hand), and you have no feel for the game. Your opinion doesn’t count. Lol
You're only one away from the golden sombrero on this subject.

Curious as to your involvement in the game and your bona fides. Not that it matters - anyone can have an opinion. Just wondering why so much in the attack mode.

I disagree. Refs do it so the games can be played for the players. I think more often coaches think the games exist for them. At least the egotistical blowhards do.
Over the years I have and do know many officials, like most of us, and have some good friends who still put on the stripes. Not 1 has ever said they became an officials so the games can be played. All want to be involved but some have said they love the game, some do it after being fired as a coach, some it's a hobby, some do it for the money, some do it with a son or friend socially and some have even said they did it because the game needs better refs. So they made it better. Talk about an ego.

+%The small mind thinks that a shot clock can only help the tiny percentage of kids looking to play in college. I fell it can help all players to make quick decisions and improve that for a future in anything. The shot clock to me will not change a kids life but life is about choices and some of them need to be made quickly and having experience making good choices quick cannot be bad.
My bet is that years down the road when someone who is successful in life looks back upon all the teaching moments associated with experiences within organized interscholastic sports/activities such as discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, dedication.....

They will cite those as experiences before they cite the shot clock as a contributor to their success.

Then again, maybe the shot clock will cause the 98+% of the people who played in high schools but never made professional sports as their career to become wildly successful. ;)

Last edited:
Over the years I have and do know many officials, like most of us, and have some good friends who still put on the stripes. Not 1 has ever said they became an officials so the games can be played. All want to be involved but some have said they love the game, some do it after being fired as a coach, some it's a hobby, some do it for the money, some do it with a son or friend socially and some have even said they did it because the game needs better refs. So they made it better. Talk about an ego.
Airball. I'm not a ref. But thanks for including a lot of other reasons people ref.

Over the years I have and do know many officials, like most of us, and have some good friends who still put on the stripes. Not 1 has ever said they became an officials so the games can be played.
Read a Little League Umpire message group. There are countless Little League Umpires who cite that as the reason they work the games.

My bet is that years down the road when someone who is successful in life looks back upon all the teaching moments associated with experiences within organized interscholastic sports/activities such as discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, dedication...

They will cite those as experiences before they cite the shot clock as a contributor to their success.

Then again, maybe the shot clock will cause the 98+% of the people who played in high schools but never made professional sports as their career to become wildly successful. ;)
Again, someone with a small mind would not recognize that the challenges and changes in sports(including a possible shot clock) all contribute to the discipline, sacrifice, teamwork and dedication in their own ways.

Read a Little League Umpire message group. There are countless Little League Umpires who cite that as the reason they work the games.
That is great. None of those "countless" have ever said that in my presence as their only reason for doing it..

Again, someone with a small mind would not recognize that the challenges and changes in sports(including a possible shot clock) all contribute to the discipline, sacrifice, teamwork and dedication in their own ways.
and again...

We agree regarding the benefits of the game of basketball or any other interscholastic athletics or activity.

To suggest a shot clock will further enhance that is just plain silly.