High school students "failing" because of Coronavirus shutting schools

USA70PP

Maybe not seniors, but maybe as well, and have an extra year of eligibility. Is something like that a possibility?

I was wondering that too. The likely answer is no one gets extra eligibility. But I do wonder if the OHSAA may put in an exception in a year or two that might allow it. I highly doubt they do it anytime soon to avoid those that want to game the system to get an extra year.

Maybe not seniors, but maybe as well, and have an extra year of eligibility. Is something like that a possibility?
That question was asked of the OHSAA back when the winter sports tournaments were still in limbo, and the OHSAA's answer was no. The eligibility clock starts from either the moment you enter HS or the moment you waive your MS eligibility to begin HS sports early (rare but there is such a thing as I learned last spring), and you have 8 semesters and not a second more.

You are correct, the eligibility clock can start when you're in junior high but you still only have 8 semesters. It's the reason why junior high kids in Ohio don't play varsity sports, like they can in Kentucky. In a rare case where a student would turn 19 before August 1 of their senior year, they could begin playing varsity sports in 7th or 8th grade.

Figured it was something along those lines. Guess I was thinking age was the determining factor. Thanks to the both of you.

It really stinks for those athletes who lost a season this past spring.

My daughter is a senior this year. She was first team all state as a junior and was looking forward to a big senior year. On top of that, she was committed to Urbana and found out the day after spring sports officially cancelled that they were closing. Luckily, she was a hot commodity and has landed a better oppurtunity (softball-wise and financially) since then. She has handled all this much better than I think I would have, but it's been tough. Hopefully, fall sport athletes won't suffer the same fate.

My daughter is a senior this year. She was first team all state as a junior and was looking forward to a big senior year. On top of that, she was committed to Urbana and found out the day after spring sports officially cancelled that they were closing. Luckily, she was a hot commodity and has landed a better oppurtunity (softball-wise and financially) since then. She has handled all this much better than I think I would have, but it's been tough. Hopefully, fall sport athletes won't suffer the same fate.

That's horrible NewOldBlood. very sorry to hear that. I'm glad that she found a college.

Schools will not fail border line students..
Now those that have not hit a lick all year will most likely not make it. (These students also generally are not athletes).
If a student fails for the year I can not see school districts, OHSAA or ODE supporting any extra eligibility for them.