High School Sophomore on the Cover of SI

I read the article last night. This kid is AMAZING. He hit the longest HR ever at Tropicana Field at 502 ft at 16 years old. He has a 100mph bat speed (faster than Mark McGuire in his prime), and He throws a 96 MPH fastball, and is a catcher that can throw guys out from his knees. ML Scouts say he would be a top 2 pick THIS year, and they believe he is better as a sophomore than A Rod, and Griffey were as SENIORS. He has a great work ethic and loves baseball. As long as he stays healthy, avoids the "I'm the greatest" mindset, and doesn't burn out, he will be an amazing pro.

Here's a factoid that I found interesting in that article... Only one MLB player in the past 42 years has hit a HR in the majors before the age of 19.

Can you guess who it is without reading the article?

19 is till a teenager IMHO say it out loud. lol

The question was before the age of 19. I was just thinking I remember he hit a HR while a teenager but then I ask if he was 19. Sorry if I confused your feeble feline brain!!!!!!!

this kids stats are insane... the part about him as a 12 year old playing in a tournament with 250 ft fences, going 12 for 12 with 11 homeruns and a double... cant even imagine that

Living here in Vegas I have seen the kid play a handful of times and I can tell you he is better than A-Rod was when he was 18. I played against A-Rod in a summer tourney after my senior year and this 16 yr old kid is unbelievable. Also he practices routinely with the CSN (College of Southern Nevada) team here in Vegas which is loaded year after year with MLB draftees.

Also I am going with Griff Jr as the answer to the question posed.

I read the article last night. This kid is AMAZING. He hit the longest HR ever at Tropicana Field at 502 ft at 16 years old. He has a 100mph bat speed (faster than Mark McGuire in his prime), and He throws a 96 MPH fastball, and is a catcher that can throw guys out from his knees. ML Scouts say he would be a top 2 pick THIS year, and they believe he is better as a sophomore than A Rod, and Griffey were as SENIORS. He has a great work ethic and loves baseball. As long as he stays healthy, avoids the "I'm the greatest" mindset, and doesn't burn out, he will be an amazing pro.

Here's a factoid that I found interesting in that article... Only one MLB player in the past 42 years has hit a HR in the majors before the age of 19.

Can you guess who it is without reading the article?

Andruw Jones. I honestly did not read anything if that is indeed the right answer.

I'm going with Yount. I don't think it was Brett. Griffey, could be but I thought he was 20. Gotta go read the article kid sounds to good to be true.

after reading about this kid and hereing about him from several different people i think it is safe to say that he is the real deal. i mean how many 15 year olds can even get it out of a highschool field let alone tropicana field! that is just astonishing. plus the kid has got some nasty stuff on the mound too. high 90's fastball and a crazy breaking ball. i cant say that ive ever seen a kid so well rounded before at such a young age

I agree...

This kid is a stud.... But remember folks he did hit the ball with a metal bat..

The record should have an astrick(*) added to it! Pros use wood bats and there is a reason for that.

Also who do you like? Harper vs. Hamilton in a HR hitting contest? I still take Hamilton. That Home Run hitting contest last year will never be matched.

It still remains to be seen if Harper can HIT using a wooden bat in front of a screaming crowd of 50,000+ trying to concentrate while facing a 95+ per hour fast ball, fork ball and split finger effice pitch. And do it consistantly!

Don't get me wrong he will be Good, but "Great" has yet to be determined!:rainbow:

Playball, there is a kid at Moeller who can hit the Ball 400+ feet and he is only a FRESHMAN(14 YRS.OLD) and the same kid threw a NO-HITTER vs. X.

Yes. Robin Yount! Honestly, I would never have guessed him. Interesting bit of trivia though.

Also, metal bat or not, 570 feet is freaking amazing. I would guess he could hit it 475 with a wooden bat.

The record should have an astrick(*) added to it! Pros use wood bats and there is a reason for that.

Also who do you like? Harper vs. Hamilton in a HR hitting contest? I still take Hamilton. That Home Run hitting contest last year will never be matched.

It still remains to be seen if Harper can HIT using a wooden bat in front of a screaming crowd of 50,000+ trying to concentrate while facing a 95+ per hour fast ball, fork ball and split finger effice pitch. And do it consistantly!

Don't get me wrong he will be Good, but "Great" has yet to be determined!:rainbow:

Playball, there is a kid at Moeller who can hit the Ball 400+ feet and he is only a FRESHMAN(14 YRS.OLD) and the same kid threw a NO-HITTER vs. X.

Talking bout Tanner?

I think what you are forgetting is better minds than you or I have evaluated this kid, and the experts are not fooled by metal bats. They can see in a kids swing, his approach to hitting, his mechanics, his speed, strength, et al... if a kid has what it takes. They are ALL salivating over this guy.

I agree "great" is yet to be determined, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that something as simple as a wood bat will make one iota of difference in this kids ability to hit. If he hits a ball 570 feet with a metal bat, he is going to hit a ball 470 feet with a wood bat.

There is a difference...

I think what you are forgetting is better minds than you or I have evaluated this kid, and the experts are not fooled by metal bats. They can see in a kids swing, his approach to hitting, his mechanics, his speed, strength, et al... if a kid has what it takes. They are ALL salivating over this guy.

I agree "great" is yet to be determined, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that something as simple as a wood bat will make one iota of difference in this kids ability to hit. If he hits a ball 570 feet with a metal bat, he is going to hit a ball 470 feet with a wood bat.
FI89,
Ok, I agree that he may hit the ball 470 feet with a wood bat and his stats have the Scouts giddy with glee.
What I'm saying is when he findly makes it to the "Bigs" a wood bat vs. Pro Pitchers and Pro fielders in the Pro game IS going to be the one IOTA that is the DIFFERENCE!
Number 1. The ball doesn't spring off the bat like it does with an aluminum bat. (less hits) 2. The bat speed won't be as High as with the Aluminum bat(not as many extra base hits/HR) 3. The feel with aluminum bat is very, very different than aluminum (bat control) 4. The wood bat absorbs the contact vs. aluminum giving the fielders more time to make plays(less hits).
Lastly, ask Tiger Woods or anyone who is using Steel Shafts in golf if they can switch to Graphite shafts or even to WOOD shafts(if they can find them) if it makes one iota of difference in their ability to hit?
There is a reason why aluminum bats aren't being used in the Pro game my guess is there is one IOTA of difference!:rainbow:

Wow!

Great Video!
Was that 10 companies that helped support the video? I guess they are lining up.
I'll be the first to say that his timing mechanism is hard to teach also alot of kids will never be able to wind-up and swing at the speed he does.
It's great to see talent like this. It gives us old timers HOPE that the sport will carry-on and get better.
Lastly, watching him run and throw I believe he will have some knee-problems sometime in his life!
Get into a Wood-bat league ASAP.
Good Luck Bryce, I hope I'm around to watch you play!:rainbow:

They are sucking this kid off way too much.

He looks like a great player, hopefully he pans out. He seems to think he's the greatest there ever was. I'd say he should face some major league pitching before we crown him.