High School Football Rules Misconceptions (originally posted in 2019)

Are you still coaching? Send the clips in question to the league assigner or Beau Rugg/Bruce Maurer if you think the rules are being misapplied. Seriously.

And hopefully no high school officials are justifying no-calls with this non-NFHS verbiage.

I am not still coaching; however spent much of my career in CMAC and have sent in very glaring clips of that rule and others way more egregious than the rules mentioned to league assigners and up the line and to no avail. Unfortunately the not power leagues/teams get bottom barrel officials and the response was always essentially along the lines of "sorry, but be happy you had officials at the game. You get what you get." So I eventually gave up and accepted pi$$ poor officiating.

Whenever we played like a GMC, or GWOC, or other good team from a good conference, we were always amazed at how the officiating was improved dramatically!

Team A attempts a FG.
Team B blocks FG.
Team B possesses the ball and starts returning the ball for a TD. The IW was after Team B was returning the ball.

What should have been called?

The officials decided to do a redo. Team A decides to go for it (end of the first half) instead of trying another FG and scores a TD. So at the end of the day it was a 14 point turn around (assuming Team B makes their EP ) because no one was catching the guy returing the FG down the sideline.

The options on this are to redo the entire play and allow A to kick again or to give B the ball where the whistle blew, since they had secured possession, thus ending the kick. If the whistle blows prior to B securing possession, the only option is to redo the play.

Thought it would be fun to revive this thread with the start of practice for the (hopefully) 2020 season in two days.

Here are the rules changes and points of emphasis for 2020:

Defining Team Designated Representative for Penalty Decisions [1-4-1, 1-4-4 (NEW), 2-32-5, 3-5-2, 10-1-1, 10-1-2, 10-2-4] — Prior to the game, the head coach will notify the referee of the designated representative (coach or player) who will make decisions regarding penalty acceptance or declination.

Halftime Intermission Option Following Weather Delay [3-1-6c EXCEPTION (NEW)] — The halftime intermission may be shortened by mutual agreement of opposing coaches if a weather delay occurs during the last three minutes of the second period.

40-Second Play Clock Clarification [3-6-1a(1)e EXCEPTIONS 2 and 3 (NEW)] — To eliminate a potential timing advantage gained by the defensive team, the rules committee approved the play clock being set to 40 seconds when an officials’ time-out is taken for an injury to a defensive player or a defensive player has an equipment issue.

25-Second Play Clock Clarification [3-6-1a(1)f (NEW)] — Following a legal kick when either team is awarded a new series, the play clock will be set to 25 seconds.

Disconcerting Act Foul and Penalty Reclassified [7-1-9 (NEW), 7-1-9 PENALTY (NEW)] — Disconcerting acts or words by the defense has been reclassified from a unsportsmanlike foul to a disconcerting act foul, and the penalty changed from 15 yards to 5 yards.

Spiking the Ball to Conserve Time (7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5e EXCEPTION) — The exception to allow a player to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving the snap, has been expanded to include any player positioned directly behind the center. This exception now includes snaps that are not hand-to-hand.

2020 EDITORIAL CHANGES

NOCSAE Warning Label, 1-3-1d and g, 1-3-1i (NEW), Table 1-7, 2-33-2, 2-41-9, 3-1-6 (NEW), 3-1-7 (NEW), Table 3-1, 3-4-8, 3-4-9 (NEW), 7-2-5a, 7-5-12, Table 7-5, 8-2-4, 9-5-1d, 9-9 PENALTY, 10-4-2 EXCEPTION, 10-5-1j, Penalty Summary, Official Signal 17 (NEW) and 23, Appendix H (NEW), Index

2020 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Sportsmanship
  2. Intentional Grounding
  3. Ineligible Downfield and Line of Scrimmage Formation

Spiking the Ball to Conserve Time (7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5e EXCEPTION) — The exception to allow a player to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving the snap, has been expanded to include any player positioned directly behind the center. This exception now includes snaps that are not hand-to-hand.

Although I enjoyed watching teams struggle to snap the ball hand-to-hand in the closing seconds of a game that were shotgun only teams, I do think this is a good change to the rule. So many teams are shotgun only or primarily shotgun that it was time to make the change.

Although I enjoyed watching teams struggle to snap the ball hand-to-hand in the closing seconds of a game that were shotgun only teams, I do think this is a good change to the rule. So many teams are shotgun only or primarily shotgun that it was time to make the change.
And note that if that snap touches the ground and/or is muffed, the allowance to spike the ball is off and it will be a foul for intentional grounding. And in that situation the Referee should start the clock on the ready under Rule 3-4-6.

This will happen often. High school players rushing in crunch time is a perfect recipe for mishandled snaps.

And note that if that snap touches the ground and/or is muffed, the allowance to spike the ball is off and it will be a foul for intentional grounding. And in that situation the Referee should start the clock on the ready under Rule 3-4-6.

This will happen often. High school players rushing in crunch time is a perfect recipe for mishandled snaps.
These rules will apply to both High School and JR High correct?

2021 Rules Changes and POEs

Action in the Free-Blocking Zone [2-17-2c (NEW), 2-17-4]
Blocking below the waist now requires the block to begin immediately following the snap.

2021 EDITORIAL CHANGES
1-5-1b(3); 2-10-1; 2-10-2; 3-5-1; 9-4-4 PENALTY, NINE-, EIGHT- AND SIX-PLAYER RULES DIFFERENCES – GENERAL; SIX-PLAYER RULES DIFFERENCES – RULES 2 and 7

2021 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Sportsmanship
  2. Intentional Grounding
  3. Ineligible Downfield and Line of Scrimmage Formation

Uncatchable ball has always been my favorite due in large part to the huge number of dimwit fans that regularly scream it out.
When I'm in the stands, I'm always "it doesn't matter," but they don't want to hear it. Same with the automatic first down. They start screaming to reset the markers. Always have to say it's just yardage.

Though I do agree with one situation where it should be first down:

Team A has a 4th and 4 at the 6. Penalty by the defense. Half the distance to the goal. Now it's 4th and 1 at the 3.

But if it was 4th and 4 at the 10, it's a first down at the 5.

The auto first down should be awarded if the normal penalty yardage is longer than the yards to go for a first.

When I'm in the stands, I'm always "it doesn't matter," but they don't want to hear it. Same with the automatic first down. They start screaming to reset the markers. Always have to say it's just yardage.

Team A has a 4th and 4 at the 6. Penalty by the defense. Half the distance to the goal. Now it's 4th and 1 at the 3.

The auto first down should be awarded if the normal penalty yardage is longer than the yards to go for a first.
Creates too many exceptions to the rule. The NFHS hates rule exceptions as they are misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied by coaches and officials at the HS level. Causes more issues than it solves.

The current rule provides for the down to be replayed minus the applicable penalty yardage. I've yet to have a coach complain that they have the opportunity to replay the down 4th and 1 at the three versus 4th and 4 at the 6. (have yet to have a coach decline a dead ball foul penalty against the defense in this situation)

I prefer the NCAA’s enforcement for many fouls, including DPI. But FED rules have different objectives and priorities.

• An unsuccessful field goal does not go back to the previous spot. It is treated just like a punt (touchback if it crosses the goal line).
This rule needs to be adjusted. I have started to see some coaches go for FG at a distance the kicker had no chance of making, 50 yards plus, so that they can place the ball at the 20, that way they didn't have to worry about a punt being blocked or a possible run back. Yeah they did have to cross the goal line but with a tee and the way HS kickers are these days it is a way to circumvent a rule.
I saw this in a game a few years ago. I couldn't for the life of me understand why the team was going for a 40yd FG, then I realized what they were trying to do.

• An unsuccessful field goal does not go back to the previous spot. It is treated just like a punt (touchback if it crosses the goal line).
This rule needs to be adjusted. I have started to see some coaches go for FG at a distance the kicker had no chance of making, 50 yards plus, so that they can place the ball at the 20, that way they didn't have to worry about a punt being blocked or a possible run back. Yeah they did have to cross the goal line but with a tee and the way HS kickers are these days it is a way to circumvent a rule.
Field goal or punt, a touchback gets spotted on the 20.

It's arguably easier to block a FG. The holder is only 7 yards back and the ball is on the ground. A punter is at 13 and the ball is kicked from a higher spot.

It's easier to run back a field goal because the kickers don't have their coverage team on the field.

I have no idea what rule you imagine is being circumvented.

Of all of those, I think the one that is often misunderstood by the "people in the stands" is the intentional grounding rule. Comes from watching too much football on Saturday and Sunday.

"THEY BROKE THE HUDDLE WITH 12!" "THEY BROKE THE HUDLE WITH 12!"

Back-to-back play off games last year. The head coach absolutely lost his mind.

Whistle blows and flag flies for encroachment…

“But he got back!!!!”

…followed by the PA announcer announcing the foul as “offsides.”

I will die on the hill that the holding penalty is arbitrarily too punitive. 18 yards for holding in the backfield is ridiculous. Why oh why can't the penalty be 10 yards from the line of scrimmage the way God intended it to be :)
Not saying I disagree with the sentiment in general but I don’t know that I’d call it arbitrary. It’s that way because as noted above, FED doesn’t like to put exceptions into the rules as much as possible. Enforcing holding (or any other foul) from the previous spot during a running play like NCAA does would introduce an exception to the all-but-one principle that the Rules Committee clearly hasn’t felt was necessary. If there is ever enough push nationally from coaches to make the change, it will happen.

This is a great thread. After a great playoff game several years ago a buddy made the point "wasn't it great that every call was obvious and it didn't look like anyone was trying to prove how smart they were?"

As good as a well played game can be, well officiated ones are becoming harder and harder to find. It's not just the fans watching SAT & SUN games, the refs do it too.

How to tell you're at a well officiated game? 1) flag thrown 2) ref huddles w/ umpire 3) you see them talk back & forth 4) umpire shakes his head & then waves off the flag.

I thought I had made a thread like this in previous years but I guess with the software update it disappeared.

• No such thing as "offside" in NFHS and there is no provision allowing the defense to "get back." Encroachment is dead-ball foul as soon as either team enters the neutral zone.
  • A "catchable" ball is not a factor of the pass interference rules.
  • There is no "tackle box" for intentional grounding purposes. A QB must always throw a forward pass in the vicinity of an eligible receiver.
  • Any kick that crosses the goal line is an automatic touchback. A kick is a kick until it is possessed. So if a muffed kick crosses the goal line, it's a touchback.
  • A blocked extra point is dead immediately; an intercepted two-point try is dead immediately.
  • In OHSAA overtime the ball is dead immediately when the defense gains possession.
  • There is no previous spot enforcement for fouls by the offense behind the line of scrimmage. For example, holding by a lineman behind the LOS is generally enforced from the spot of the foul, not the previous spot. Yes, that means holding is often a more severe penalty in high school than NCAA or NFL.
  • The holder for a field goal cannot pitch the ball from his knee on a fake. He must rise or else the ball is dead.
  • The only fouls that include automatic first downs are the "roughing" personal fouls - passer, kicker/holder, and snapper.
  • Fouls by the defense during a successful field goal, try, or touchdown-scoring play are not declined by rule. The offense can have the penalty enforced on the try (for a foul during a TD play) or the kickoff.
  • Hurdling is a foul. But only if the player being hurdled is contacting the ground with no part of his body other than one or both feet.
  • Personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls are not the same thing. PFs involve contact and two by one player does not require a DQ. UNS is always noncontact and two by one player results in a DQ.
  • Targeting only includes above-shoulder contact and does not result in DQ unless deemed flagrant. Contact initiated with the crown of the helmet at or below the shoulders is spearing.
  • Headhunting is not football.
  • Most "big hits" and athletic plays (i.e. runners hurdling defenders) that are sensationalized on accounts like Jukes are illegal.
Anyone have anymore? Have a great, fun, and SAFE season.
As a clock operator of 7 seasons going on 8 now my natural high is listening to the absolute morons in the stands who think they know the game.

Blocking Below the waste can happen as
much defensively as it happens offensively.

Defense can not go low on a lead blocker, should be a foul if observed.

Low blocks need to happen almost immediately, and within the free blocking zone.

I see fans losing there minds when the defense gets called for it.

The best one I saw last season was:
Punt returner from Team A attempted to corral a punt at his 10 that was rolling toward him. He muffed it, it rolled into the end zone, and Team B "recovered" it. Everyone initially expected it to be ruled a TD for Team B. The back judge also signaled TD. After conference by the officials, it was ruled a touchback. It was only then that I remembered the ball is dead as soon as it crosses the goal line on a kick when no possession was established in the field of play. There were plenty of parents from Team B yelling "you need to learn the rules" at the officials.

A few seasons earlier, I saw my school's fans and coaches going berserk when 1 of the team's offensive players earned an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for hurdling a defender. They'd spent too much time watching Peyton Hillis on Sundays a couple years earlier.

The best one I saw last season was:
Punt returner from Team A attempted to corral a punt at his 10 that was rolling toward him. He muffed it, it rolled into the end zone, and Team B "recovered" it. Everyone initially expected it to be ruled a TD for Team B. The back judge also signaled TD. After conference by the officials, it was ruled a touchback. It was only then that I remembered the ball is dead as soon as it crosses the goal line on a kick when no possession was established in the field of play. There were plenty of parents from Team B yelling "you need to learn the rules" at the officials.

A few seasons earlier, I saw my school's fans and coaches going berserk when 1 of the team's offensive players earned an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for hurdling a defender. They'd spent too much time watching Peyton Hillis on Sundays a couple years earlier.
The hurdling one was a bone of contention for opponents when Ethan Wright was piling up yards for Manchester. Dude was a stud, but not sure I saw a game where he didn't hurdle someone.

Blocking Below the waste can happen as
much defensively as it happens offensively.

Defense can not go low on a lead blocker, should be a foul if observed.

Low blocks need to happen almost immediately, and within the free blocking zone.

I see fans losing there minds when the defense gets called for it.
The block is required by rule to be an "immediate initial action" following the snap. Any delay in said block is a foul.

In addition, all players involved in the blocking must be on the line of scrimmage (and in the zone as you previously noted) at the snap.

Hurdling is a personal foul, not an unsportsmanlike conduct foul. (UNS fouls count as one of the two that results in an automatic ejection)