High School Cincinnati Hockey 2012-2013

LocalSportsFan

Well the season is getting started. Who are the areas best players this year and who is going to be the school to beat in Cincinnati?

Don't know much about the SWOHSHL South. The North looks like Springboro and Troy are the teams to beat.
Springboro is the reigning two time champs and return some serious firepower in Austin Reynolds and Travis Studzinski. Their defense looks strong and they have some young but solid goaltending in Michael Weber. Their bench looks to be deeper this season. Last weekend they beat Centerville 4-1 and Dublin Jerome 3-1.
Troy should have little trouble lighting the lamp. They return Clay Terrill and Will Schober along with newcomer upperclassmen Evan Spahr and Mason Haggen. Their goaltending is top notch with Jake Eldridge and Eric Wright. Defense will be the question mark.
Centerville will be the team with the short bench this season. They have a young, untested goalie who needs to mature quickly. The Elks have some experience returning in forwards Zac Keith, Connor Emmil, Grant Slagle and Tyler Edsall. Jeremy Watson has moved back to the blue line to bolster a young group of defenders. Last weekend they dropped a pair to Springboro 4-1 and Olentangy Liberty 6-0.
Alter should be better than in years past with Austin Collins and Tyler Pavelka doing the scoring and Eric Borth anchoring the defense. Goaltending is untested.
Beavercreek has a new coaching staff this season. The Beavers don't return a lot of experience. Brandon Oakley and Deepak Kullar should lead the way for Creek.

Over the weekend:
St. X lost to Olentangy Orange H.S. 8-2 and also lost to Cbus DeSales 3-0. St. X has seven returning seniors.

Moeller Beat Olentangy Orange and St. Francis DeSales. Not sure of the scores but Senior Tyler Ruter apparently had 5 goals and 4 assists in the 2 wins for Moeller.

Talawanda finished second in the division last season with a first year coach. they have several returners who are expected to do big things.

Moeller looks to be strong returning Seniors Tyler Ruter aka TMoney Roto Ruter and anchored by big D man Jack Brault. Mongo Meloy also should spark plug the offense as is evident with a supposed 20 goal win over a Cleveland school?

Moeller looks to be early favorites for Cincinnati with large group of seniors including d man Geiser who is quite fast. looking forward to the Moeller X game. Who does X have returning/incoming any Frosh?

Last Weekend Scores
Dublin Jerome 7 Centerville 2,
Centerville 4 Talawanda 1
Upper Arlington 5 Springboro 2
Springboro 3 Dublin Coffman 2
Dublin Coffman 3 Troy 1

St. X started the season off 4-0 winning the Columbus Thanksgiving Classic

ST. X 3 Worthington Kilbourne 2
ST. X 16 Clay H.S. 0
ST. X 5 Gahanna Lincoln 2
Championship Game
ST. X 3 Thomas Worthington 0

@ Dangle - Since you are an obvious student at Moeller and possibly play, how did they do @ Notre Dame this weekend?

Not positive, but I believe Moeller went 1-2-1 at Notre Dame. May have had a short bench due to a couple of players sitting out game misconducts from previous game....
Talawanda had a tough weekend at their tourney going 0-4. Played some very high-end competition though.
Think Springoboro won BG tournament, not sure of the competition level their.
Beavercreek still looking for first win, but here they have a quality coach trying to get things turned around.
Sycamore may have managed a win in their tournament....Elder too.
Heard there is a lot of parity in C-bus this year.
The Columbus district should be up for grabs this year.....

I was actually informed that Moeller went 2-1-1. They lost the first game only having 9 kids like you mentioned having 2 out. Then had 11 to finish the tourney. Only 13 kids on the team.

yep, seems Moeller is walking a tightrope with numbers. Heard they only have one goalie in the program too.
They had some quality pre season wins though.
They will need to stay healthy to continue winning...

During a Non-Conference game on Dec. 14th Moeller vs Sycamore played in a neighborhood rivalry. Moeller won 5-0 and Sycamore starts a fight the minute the game ended. 4 Moeller players are suspended for a huge conference game that next game. They end up losing 3-0 vs Liberty. Moeller has had a total of 6 kids suspended for fighting this year. They in turn lose the next game both times. (2 kids during scrimmages and 4 kids vs sycamore.) When will they learn?

possibly a better question when will officials south of Columbus realize that this is a contact sport? Its not like this isnt an occurence in rivalries in Cleveland/Toledo

possibly a better question when will officials south of Columbus realize that this is a contact sport? Its not like this isnt an occurence in rivalries in Cleveland/Toledo

My parents and I had a theory on reffing when I was playing growing up.
Any reffing south of I-70 was suspect.
Any reffing north of I-70 was average
All reffing in Michigan was good.
All reffing in West Virginia/Kentucky was scary.

Moeller goes 1-2-1 in Toledo over the weekend
-Beat Toledo St. Francis 5-0
-Lost to University (5-1) and Lake Catholic (8-2)
-Tied St. X (4-4)

St. X goes 0-2-2 in Toledo
-Tied Toledo St. Francis (1-1) and Moeller (4-4)
-Lost to University (3-1) and Dublin Jerome (3-1)

Didn't see much of X this weekend, but caught most of Moeller/St. Francis. Crusaders are really physical, but TSF was more physical that game. Power Plays are what helped Moeller win. Impressed by the stamina of Moeller, they have a solid team despite not having many players.

Just by looking at the scores, I'm guessing X has a nasty habit of playing to their opponent's level. I wish I had seen how infuriating that was to the coaches back when I played, because I was on at least one team that had that problem.

edit - X's JV coach knows what I'm talking about, unfortunately

Moeller beat St. X pretty easily on GCL night at the Cincinnati Gardens a few weeks back so I was surprised to see them tie up in Toledo. Despite having only 8 (if i remember correctly) offensive players, they do manage to physically drain most teams. Assistant Captain Tyler Ruter is having an impressive senior season and is a class act.

No one has mentioned Springboro. The Panther's have quietly put together a 24-4-1 season, winning four tournaments along the way. They are young, small and quick with a power play unit that can do damage against anyone. They have two of the top players in the district in scoring machine Austin Reynolds who has put up 63 goals and lightning, quick, defenseman, Travis Studzinski and his 80 points. Their 4 losses are to Liberty and Findlay when their goalie, Michael Weber, was out for surgery, Findlay without Reynolds and Padua, Weber's first game back. If they are healthy watch for them to make some waves in the tournament.