Here we throw again .....60+ 70+ pitch counts in MARCH

93 red ls

I was following a SWO local baseball tourney this weekend.

I saw 3 games that had 60+ and even a game that had a kid at 70+ pitches for a single game.

Mind you this is the FIRST WEEKEND OF MARCH!

75+ % of these kids just came off of the basketball court and you can not tell me that these kids have excellent pitching coaches that have gotten their arms up to strength in the limited indoor/tunnel pitching they have done the past few weeks.

SMH at the coaches and SMH at the parents for being so blinded!

Hope the "ring" was worth it!

I would think any March tournament would be considered a "preseason" tournament and just there to get everyone a few reps in early. I can't imagine pitching a kid that many pitches.

I was following a SWO local baseball tourney this weekend.

I saw 3 games that had 60+ and even a game that had a kid at 70+ pitches for a single game.

Mind you this is the FIRST WEEKEND OF MARCH!

75+ % of these kids just came off of the basketball court and you can not tell me that these kids have excellent pitching coaches that have gotten their arms up to strength in the limited indoor/tunnel pitching they have done the past few weeks.

SMH at the coaches and SMH at the parents for being so blinded!

Hope the "ring" was worth it!
They probably the Coach(s) kids. Parents seem to always be overcome by ignorance when it pertains to their kid(s)! If many of the Teams involved are SWOL that’s pretty much a “daddy ball” league these days. There are some truly Select Teams left in SWOL but not very many.

I would think any March tournament would be considered a "preseason" tournament and just there to get everyone a few reps in early. I can't imagine pitching a kid that many pitches.
I agree 1000%
but I followed multiple games and saw it in 3! These were on all on Sunday , you know when they handle out the scholarship's, I mean rings!

They probably the Coach(s) kids. Parents seem to always be overcome by ignorance when it pertains to their kid(s)! If many of the Teams involved are SWOL that’s pretty much a “daddy ball” league these days. There are some truly Select Teams left in SWOL but not very many.
The past 4 years my sons team has played in SWOL. there is a "pitch Tracker" where Head Coaches are SUPPOSED to enter pitch counts for each kid in each league game played. I would say 25% of teams followed that. The rest never entered them. I personally brought that up 2 years in a row in our league meetings and everyone turns their shoulder to it. Why even have it in place if you aren't going to Enforce it being used!

I like Larry Redwine nice guy , but SWOL is a joke. This season our team did not get in SWOL , we just scheduled non league games our self. Hell we won the Silver west division last year and all we got was a "welcome to gold for 2023 email"

And i agree , "Select" baseball is VERY watered down these days and Rec baseball is almost non existent.
Some of these organizations now have 2-3 teams per age group....

Probably need a little age context here but it seems to me that 60 or 70 pitches on Sunday after throwing on Thursday or Friday and even Saturday seems excessive. Select teams are watered down if you have the old concept of select but if you place your team at the right level it can be helpful. I do wish SWOL would do a little more than charge a team several hundred dollars to be part of their web page. Some common rules per level, an end of the year championship tourney with a T-Shirt or hat or even a ring for the younger guys would be cool. Our team bounced out of SWOL at 14u because we did not see the value. it was $600 to be put on their web page. I think SWOL fixes a lot of the problems that Knothole and CYO baseball had and other Rec leagues but there should be more constraints and maybe some league guidance for coaches. I can go on but at all levels and all ages good regular practices are the best solution to improving baseball execution.

What age were these kids? Our high schoolers are topping out at 25 pitches in bullpens right now, with our first scrimmage next week.

I worked a scrimmage last night of a team that is a contender each year for at least regionals. Most of their players will play in college, and they have at least 4 d-1 commits I know of.

No pitcher threw more than 30, and we stopped mid batter to change as the coaches were in control of counts.

The other team rotated every inning, I bet no pitcher threw more than 30.

Select baseball is destroying the sport more than MLBs new timing rules.

I just entered and assigned about 200 youth games and we flat out told them we wouldn't assign any kid pitch that wasn't at least 11U unless the $$ went up because the games run 3 hours.

The past 4 years my sons team has played in SWOL. there is a "pitch Tracker" where Head Coaches are SUPPOSED to enter pitch counts for each kid in each league game played. I would say 25% of teams followed that. The rest never entered them. I personally brought that up 2 years in a row in our league meetings and everyone turns their shoulder to it. Why even have it in place if you aren't going to Enforce it being used!

I like Larry Redwine nice guy , but SWOL is a joke. This season our team did not get in SWOL , we just scheduled non league games our self. Hell we won the Silver west division last year and all we got was a "welcome to gold for 2023 email"

And i agree , "Select" baseball is VERY watered down these days and Rec baseball is almost non existent.
Some of these organizations now have 2-3 teams per age group....
Redwine just wants to cash checks these days! SWOL doesn’t follow their own Rules. Pitch counts not being tracked or entered in system. Coach or Parent Ejected they literally have no consequences except missing rest of that Game. 30 years of writing SWOL checks,winning division of play and literally getting nothing! Tournament you were following this past weekend was probably MVP Tournaments. They have very few Certified Umpires, the Tournament Director is pretty much a crook!!

I worked a scrimmage last night of a team that is a contender each year for at least regionals. Most of their players will play in college, and they have at least 4 d-1 commits I know of.

No pitcher threw more than 30, and we stopped mid batter to change as the coaches were in control of counts.

The other team rotated every inning, I bet no pitcher threw more than 30.

Select baseball is destroying the sport more than MLBs new timing rules.

I just entered and assigned about 200 youth games and we flat out told them we wouldn't assign any kid pitch that wasn't at least 11U unless the $$ went up because the games run 3 hours.
Many Assigners in SW Ohio have gone to Umpire Fee for Time Limit Game or increased rate for Untimed Game. Coaches decision at Ground Rules or in confirmation email/text. They did this to help with the Umpire shortage to be able to cover All the Saturday &Sunday League Games. Example,Team A plays Saturday at Noon. If Time Limit that Assigner knows when he can send the Umpire somewhere else that day. No Time Limit and 3 hr Game ensues that Umpire darn near done for the day.

Redwine just wants to cash checks these days! SWOL doesn’t follow their own Rules. Pitch counts not being tracked or entered in system. Coach or Parent Ejected they literally have no consequences except missing rest of that Game. 30 years of writing SWOL checks,winning division of play and literally getting nothing! Tournament you were following this past weekend was probably MVP Tournaments. They have very few Certified Umpires, the Tournament Director is pretty much a crook!!

Many Assigners in SW Ohio have gone to Umpire Fee for Time Limit Game or increased rate for Untimed Game. Coaches decision at Ground Rules or in confirmation email/text. They did this to help with the Umpire shortage to be able to cover All the Saturday &Sunday League Games. Example,Team A plays Saturday at Noon. If Time Limit that Assigner knows when he can send the Umpire somewhere else that day. No Time Limit and 3 hr Game ensues that Umpire darn near done for the day.
Can’t recall the name of the one north of swol (Midwest Ohio maybe?) but I do know their umpire fees went way up and all games have time limits and extensive run rules.

Yes im done helping pay for Larry's Corvettes!

Which is a shame bc we have done SWOL for a very long time with 2 kids! My youngest If baseball ends up being is thing we are just going to end up scheduling games our selves as we did this year with my oldest team!

http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/dave-mccann-mvp-tournaments.354287/
Yea MVP tourney for sure.....DxVE McCanX yea he is something else.