Health Insurance questions

recently

Cooling Off
Now that I've turned 26 and have officially fallen off of my mother's excellent health care plan, I'm curious to know what you all think my best options are.

I can get coverage through work for $160 per month, but the vision package is awful, and that's what I'd be using the most, as I have yearly eye exams and get new contacts and glasses yearly as well.

I quickly glossed over the new healthcare website and did some light reading, but I guess I'm curious to know if anyone has used the ACA to their advantage, and if not, what other tips you may have for affordable health insurance.

I feel like I'm kind of screwed regardless, because I'm not poor, but I'm not making a whole lot either. Suggestions?

My experience in dealing with medical providers since the enactment of ACA has been completely negative.

Legitimately debating asking the attorney general to file attempted murder charges against everyone who voted for Obama.

A public option is all fun and games until someone gets killed.

I'm self employed so I've dealt with the individual market for a few years now.

The ACA has a lot to it. Check if the insurance plan you pick has your preferred doctor in their network.

My experience as far as medical providers in regard to the ACA has been fine since I knew going in to check the plan I picked would accept my preferred Dr. Although, I am not a fan of going from an HMO plan with a set primary care physician as opposed to my previous PPO plan.

Working with the health insurance companies has been a total mess though. It has really decreased the overall customer service, but I have a feeling that is due to the law stipulating a certain percentage of premiums going to health care.

The other thing about the plans is that they all carry coinsurance.

As for vision, the vision portion of the great majority of plans on the individual market aren't great. Chances are your previous plan under your mothers was great due to the company saying this is what we want for vision so they were covering the difference between the typical plan you would find in the market.

I have a feeling your best bet is getting coverage through work, it is going to be a better overall plan.

I quickly glossed over the new healthcare website and did some light reading, but I guess I'm curious to know if anyone has used the ACA to their advantage, and if not, what other tips you may have for affordable health insurance.

:laugh:

I want to make sure they cover any special treatment I may need, which should certainly include heroin addiction and AIDS treatment. Always a chance of a dirty needle.

Most of the people I've talked to simply recommend sticking to coverage through my employer, but I'm not sure that's feasible. In order to purchase new contact lenses from my eye doctor, they require an eye exam yearly. I only get one exam every two years if I enroll in my employer's plan. I know it's easy to get my prescription and simply order contacts online, but I like getting my prescription updated yearly and getting the best lenses possible. Not sure that'll be possible now.

It really isn't, but I've never had to pay a dime for an exam in the past. Just a copay for contact lenses/frames and that's it. I looked through Humana's website and was quoted a monthly premium of $15 through them, and my current eye doctor is in their network of preferred doctors, so I think that solves that problem. Good benefits.

Really just need to get Lasik :laugh:

You're a sucker if you have to get new contacts every year. I'm still on my same set from when I was 16 or 17.

Didn't hof have kind of a crush on you, recently ? If he's got a good health plan, all you've got to do is go to some place where a couple fellers can get hitched, and fake like you're a couple. He'd probably make it believable enough for both of you.

You can get a quality plan from going to Walmart.com, or JoeBiden2016.com. The latter will give you a half-off coupon for a Hemisherectomy.

Go with the health insurance at your work recently. Get 2 week lenses and wear them for a month. I just wear glasses to work most days and my contacts last forever

It's been a long time since I was young and single, and the health insurance landscape has changed drastically. My plan hasn't inspired me to look around much.

Does it make more sense for a healthy, young, single person to look at high-deductible plans with very low premiums, and save in a vehicle with enough liquidity to cover deductibles ? One who did that would then be able to by contacts, etc from a tax exempt MSA. might such a person be further ahead after a few years without a significant medical event ?

What's the fine if you choose to not enroll in any sort of health insurance coverage?
1% of your yearly household income. The maximum penalty is the national average yearly premium for a bronze plan.

$95 per person for the year ($47.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $285.

The fee increases every year. In 2015 it’s 2% of income or $325 per person. In 2016 and later years it’s 2.5% of income or $695 per person. After that it is adjusted for inflation.

It's been a long time since I was young and single, and the health insurance landscape has changed drastically. My plan hasn't inspired me to look around much.

Does it make more sense for a healthy, young, single person to look at high-deductible plans with very low premiums, and save in a vehicle with enough liquidity to cover deductibles ? One who did that would then be able to by contacts, etc from a tax exempt MSA. might such a person be further ahead after a few years without a significant medical event ?

Are saying you are young and single again? PM me with your secret............. :D

Actually, to answer your question, that is what I do at work. I enrolled in a high deductible plan and then put money into an HSA account. I put in a little more than what I save on the premium for the high deductible versus the standard plan into my HSA with each pay check. We've been able to build up a fairly nice medical emergency fund to cover anything major that happens before the plan would kick in. The secret is to not nickle and dime your HSA account for every little thing that comes down the pike. For a healthy individual or family looking for healthcare insurance this seems like a no brainer way to go.