HAWKEN goes all in for the win (at Madison District)

NWO XCTF

Just talked to a coaching buddy of mine that was at the Madison District. I guess team results were held up while a call was made to OHSAA to verify the status of a Hawken runner that was supposed to be sitting out the postseason after being recruited and transferred in, from a public school, as a 10th grader.
The story is that Hawken put in a request 2 weeks ago to allow the kid to run post-season, but was denied. Then they got a lawyer involved and were granted approval for him to run. It's unfortunate that some schools can't just play by the rules.

Who got the lawyer. That has to be the parents. Did the kid run last year at the public school?

Just talking for myself, as a track and field coach, I let the administration and parents do what they are going to do and I do not get involved. I really don't want to know about it. I'm not going to play favorites with my kids. I'm not going to make one kid more important than the kid they might displace. I don't feel it's my place either way. I don't like to even get into a situation where a team rule might be more strict than a school system rule, so if a kid is deemed eligible they participate. Not eligible and they sit without any questioning from me or advocating otherwise.

I'll discipline for team rules. I'm not getting pulled into OHSAA eligibility stuff.

And Marlington will beat them anyway.

The boys's results show they had the same top six at District and conference. They will qualify along with Marlington, Woodridge, West G and CVCA. After those 5 I think it will be either Kenston, Bay or Lakeview.

The boys's results show they had the same top six at District and conference. They will qualify along with Marlington, Woodridge, West G and CVCA. After those 5 I think it will be either Kenston, Bay or Lakeview.
Yes, the kid ran all year but was supposed to be ineligible starting with postseason (after conference).

Yes, the kid ran all year but was supposed to be ineligible starting with postseason (after conference).
Not much to do about it now. Decisions above our paygrade so to speak. Good for them for fighting for their kid, I guess. It's not going to change at this point. If they bullied a decision through the courts, they have to live with that.

I saw Beachwood all happy about making it through to the regional and I'd normally be happy for them, but after what they did in indoor track last year, they aren't on my list of schools to be happy for for awhile. Maybe this goes into that category for me, but it's kids. Can't get all bent out of shape when it's just kids out there racing. I don't think the kid had any say so in the situation.

I saw Beachwood all happy about making it through to the regional and I'd normally be happy for them, but after what they did in indoor track last year, they aren't on my list of schools to be happy for for awhile.
What happened with Beachwood last year?

What happened with Beachwood last year?
My understanding is that they failed to get their entries done on time for the OATCCC meet despite several requests. Performance lists were created then litigation started and the OATCCC was forced/pressured into relenting and added their runners to the meet.

I know there are people on this site who know exactly what happened, but what's the point of rehashing it?

Some people live as if the rules don't apply to them and get away with it for a variety of reasons. It's frustrating, but not something over which I'm going to expend any emotional energy.

My understanding is that they failed to get their entries done on time for the OATCCC meet despite several requests. Performance lists were created then litigation started and the OATCCC was forced/pressured into relenting and added their runners to the meet.

I know there are people on this site who know exactly what happened, but what's the point of rehashing it?

Some people live as if the rules don't apply to them and get away with it for a variety of reasons. It's frustrating, but not something over which I'm going to expend any emotional energy.
Got it. Sorry, I wasn’t looking to rehash anything— I was genuinely curious with what happened.

Got it. Sorry, I wasn’t looking to rehash anything— I was genuinely curious with what happened.
Best part is the coach was only lobbying to get his boys into the meet. He was OK with his girls being left out as long as his boys were allowed entry. OATCCC said "no" to all of his requests. Beachwood ultimately got into the meet, so there's only 1 way that could've happened...Somebody found a judge.

So, if your team places 7th in this race and would have beaten Hawken without the boy OHSAA has deemed ineligible running, you
will need to get before the same judge that they(parents) did to get in the state championship.

So, if your team places 7th in this race and would have beaten Hawken without the boy OHSAA has deemed ineligible running, you
will need to get before the same judge that they(parents) did to get in the state championship.
I've got to admit that I am of a similar mind to Pyscho Dad on this one. It's like arguing calls with refs. Run the race set before you.

There are far greater inequities in competitive settings within the State Tournament than allowing this transfer to run (e.g. schools with enrollments of 303 competing against schools with 1000+). The OHSAA has stood it's ground in some situations and not others. To keep my sanity, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they allowed this kid to run with good reason.

Long ago, a local coach said the first requirement to be an OHSAA commissioner is to be born without a heart. This was after they said a kid with cerebal palsey couldn't run because he was too old - he turned 19 after July 31. He wouldn't have been a threat to anyone as he was expected to run well over 30 minutes. If they're willing to let this kid run, let it go and fight far more meaningful battles.

Adults ruin sports for kids in so many ways. Litigation is the worst. Kids know how to deal with disappointment and are able to move on with their lives IF we don't make mountains out of molehills.

Depending on which kid Hawken would have had to take out, They were going to win or be second anyway. In the mix to make it to the state meet either way.

West G. has a real good shot at beating Hawken. I would think that Woodridge and CVCA are in the mix to place ahead of them and maybe even Bay. Marlington, of course. So, an at best of 2nd and worst of 6th. IMO

Depending on which kid Hawken would have had to take out, They were going to win or be second anyway. In the mix to make it to the state meet either way.

West G. has a real good shot at beating Hawken. I would think that Woodridge and CVCA are in the mix to place ahead of them and maybe even Bay. Marlington, of course. So, an at best of 2nd and worst of 6th. IMO
#4 at District