Have you gotten the Covid-19 vaccine?

Mayo Clinic
Getting COVID-19 might offer some natural protection or immunity from reinfection with the virus that causes COVID-19. But it's not clear how long this protection lasts. Because reinfection is possible and COVID-19 can cause severe medical complications, it's recommended that people who have already had COVID-19 get a COVID-19 vaccine. If you’ve had COVID-19, wait until 90 days after your diagnosis to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

Hooked both of my over 75+ year old parents this past weekend. Was not a simple ordeal either, if this is what socialized medicine will be like no thanks.

By the way there is a columnist for the NY Times who specializes in logistics and she said the worst thing to do to get more people vaccinated are those big stadium events everyone sees in the news. They turn what is basically a 20 minute appointment including the 15 minute observation period into a a pro sports event with traffic head aches and everyone eventually has to flow through a major choke point. What she suggested is to use the local fire department ambulances as "ice cream trucks" and bring the vaccines to the people, it's much quicker and efficient to bring it to the people than for the people to come to it. Put out the word that anyone over X years old in a block of time on a certain day can show up and get the vaccine when the siren blasts in your neighborhood. Set up local neighborhood volunteers too to help folks that need it with paper work and to check on everyone after the 15 minute wait. Many people work out of their homes now and I know I would be more than happy to help my neighbors with this type of set up.

Hooked both of my over 75+ year old parents this past weekend. Was not a simple ordeal either, if this is what socialized medicine will be like no thanks.

By the way there is a columnist for the NY Times who specializes in logistics and she said the worst thing to do to get more people vaccinated are those big stadium events everyone sees in the news. They turn what is basically a 20 minute appointment including the 15 minute observation period into a a pro sports event with traffic head aches and everyone eventually has to flow through a major choke point. What she suggested is to use the local fire department ambulances as "ice cream trucks" and bring the vaccines to the people, it's much quicker and efficient to bring it to the people than for the people to come to it. Put out the word that anyone over X years old in a block of time on a certain day can show up and get the vaccine when the siren blasts in your neighborhood. Set up local neighborhood volunteers too to help folks that need it with paper work and to check on everyone after the 15 minute wait. Many people work out of their homes now and I know I would be more than happy to help my neighbors with this type of set up.

that seems like a good plan but people being people, with that method you have little way to control misbehavior. And misbehavior will happen, particularly when you take the effort out of it.

Up to 9.93%. Seems we are getting closer to 50,000 vaccinations a day.

And the 14 day average for new cases and deaths are down double digits. In particular assisted living facilities are seeing a drastic reduction since many older folks got the 2nd dose of the vaccine.

On the flip side the EU is struggling getting people vaccinated. England, who left the EU, was at 18+% as of Monday while the best country in the EU, tiny Malta, was at 8.5%. No surprise that red tape heavy countries like France are having trouble cracking 3%. To get the ball rolling in Germany, barely at 4%, multiple layers of Govt as well as various politically connected organizations wanted a say on how these were distributed which has lead to mountains of red tape and now the related finger pointing. Like I said above if this is what socialized medicine will be like no thanks.

My 87 year old mother got hers last week. She said she felt fatigued for a few days, but was not sure it was the vaccination that caused it.

I'm scheduled for mine next Friday.

Got 2nd Pfizer shot ? today. Hoping to avoid all the horrible side affects I have been hearing about.

Any suggestions on how to get the African-American community to buy in on the vaccine? Yes, some of this is access related but from what I understand the reluctance is because of past experiences and a general mistrust of the medical community. I get it but this is a completely different time and even when folks of color in leadership roles publicly get it or volunteer to administer the vaccine the numbers are still far short of where they need to be. Got to get this corrected.

Any suggestions on how to get the African-American community to buy in on the vaccine? Yes, some of this is access related but from what I understand the reluctance is because of past experiences and a general mistrust of the medical community. I get it but this is a completely different time and even when folks of color in leadership roles publicly get it or volunteer to administer the vaccine the numbers are still far short of where they need to be. Got to get this corrected.
This is going to be a tough nut to crack... and totally understandable. Maybe community leaders leading by example?

Excellent question, especially seeing as people of color are dying at almost twice the rate of their White counterparts from this disease. The distrust can be traced back to some legitimate sources (Tuskegee Experiment, Mississippi Hysterectomies) and some total fallacies (AIDS created at FT Detrik to harm Black people). Your right we have to get past that, maybe some of this money they are soon to approve can go into some really good marketing in our communities, continue to have Black leaders publicly take it, reach out to Black Clergy. Get athletes on board, I think seeing Lebron James, Seth Curry and Patrick Mahomes take it could go a long way.

The decision was easy for me, I don't plan on having anymore kids, my body survived the plethora of inoculations given to me before deploying, and my Wife is not allowed to get the vaccine but if she catches COVID the outlook is not good (so I better not bring it home). But everybody in my community is not in my situation, for their sake I hope we come up with some good answers.

psssh this illiterati mind control, chip injecting "vaccination." I took the advice early in the pandemic. Drank one cup of lysol and have never gotten the vid.

Not my turn yet but will get it as soon as I can. 80 year old dad has his first shot and will get his second next week. A huge relief.
I know people who have been infected who had little to no effect, got very sick for a couple weeks, spent two weeks on a ventilator and three weeks recovering in a nursing home (45 years old) and who died. Let's get this over with!!

I have been eligible for a couple of weeks, can't get an appt. I am not concerned, eventually they will have enough.

States are starting to figure out how to get these doses out and are expanding eligibility requirements, those over 65 in most states can get on the list currently and the thinking is the next group released will be those of any age that are vulnerable to severe cases if they get the Covid. Problem now is supply keeping with the demand, it not like you just call in some part timer workers and fire up another line at Pfizer to make more doses. I have to think there will be pressure to approve the Johnson & Johnson vaccine ASAP and get it on line but the FDA meeting on approval for that is not until 2/26. If the country maintains its current pace of administering first doses, about half of the total population would be at least partially vaccinated around late June, and nearly all around mid-November, assuming supply pledges are met and vaccines are eventually available to children. Ramp things up and this timeline improves and we can look at a normal football season :)

Meanwhile the EU continues to struggle and folks are really getting ticked off. As of yesterday Serbia took the lead at almost 14% while Germany, France, and Italy are all in the 4% range.

I have been eligible for a couple of weeks, can't get an appt. I am not concerned, eventually they will have enough.

Some tips>

• Go to a pharmacy, hospitals and large facilities for the most part are where the throngs are going. Pharmacies are really starting to figure this thing out because there is a $ incentive to them if they keep the train rolling on the tracks.
  • Be flexible on chain and location, might have to drive a little but it is worth it.
  • Treat scheduling like the old radio prize contest "be the 5th caller" bit; keep refreshing the browser to make an appointment and keep at it.
  • Try getting appointments 1st thing in the morning, many people make multiple appointments trying to get closer to home and then cancel once they get a place they feel happy with and those cancellations usually get released at the start of the business day. That is also when they find out how many doses they get for the next scheduling day.
  • Schedule that 2nd does at the same time you are scheduling the 1st.
  • Bring someone with you to the appointment, especially the 2nd. There are very few cases of a reaction but you never know...

Some tips>

• Go to a pharmacy, hospitals and large facilities for the most part are where the throngs are going. Pharmacies are really starting to figure this thing out because there is a $ incentive to them if they keep the train rolling on the tracks.
  • Be flexible on chain and location, might have to drive a little but it is worth it.
  • Treat scheduling like the old radio prize contest "be the 5th caller" bit; keep refreshing the browser to make an appointment and keep at it.
  • Try getting appointments 1st thing in the morning, many people make multiple appointments trying to get closer to home and then cancel once they get a place they feel happy with and those cancellations usually get released at the start of the business day. That is also when they find out how many doses they get for the next scheduling day.
  • Schedule that 2nd does at the same time you are scheduling the 1st.
  • Bring someone with you to the appointment, especially the 2nd. There are very few cases of a reaction but you never know...
Thank you for the information

Up to 11.46% today

Sadly, seems they are slowing way down. The last 24 hour change was only 17,928 and they have a disclaimer that says the number is inflated. We should be at 50,000 a day now but have only reached that a couple of times.

Up to 11.46% today

Sadly, seems they are slowing way down. The last 24 hour change was only 17,928 and they have a disclaimer that says the number is inflated. We should be at 50,000 a day now but have only reached that a couple of times.

There are a couple factors at work: 1) Supply chain at the pharma level is taxed and they are really having trouble keeping up. 2) Presidents Day had fewer locations open to administer as well as call centers that schedule appointments were down. 3) The weather really affected folks getting to appointments the past few days and maybe the next couple too.

On the positive the 14 day trend for new cases is -43% and the 14 day trend for deaths is -34%.

America has a history of medically "abusing" anything with DNA. Progress.

As for covid, says it right here,

Black Americans are hospitalized with COVID-19 at 2.9 times the rate of white Americans and die at 1.9 times the rate, according to CDC data. Latinos are hospitalized at more than three times the rate and die more than twice the rate of white Americans.

Blacks and Latinos had a higher rate of access to hospitalization and died at a lower rate than expected probably because of it. Nothing systemic there. Lower health died the most. We can talk all day about systemic reasons for that lower health but some cultural adjustment to eating habits and higher rate of rules following would have negated that with ease.

Sorry Hubman, I'm calling non-starter on both of those.