Hartley's Randy Kortokrax Will Not Return To Coach Boys Basketball Team

Wow! I read the Dispatch article and it seemed to have come as quite the surprise to him. Not sure what they’re thinking unless they’ve got the bigger Coach K lined up next season.

didn't she retire like 6 years ago? i dont think this is true
I think you’re right, actually, but nevertheless she’s Decently Well-Known in the Columbus area. Supposedly she’s with 610WTVN these days.

…and she’s still active on Twitter. Had a pretty good Shelley Meyer streak this week about this ordeal.

I know kindness and empathy are not necessarily what online communication is about, and I have seen Mindy live and in action at games, but I'm sure this is a difficult time for Randy and his family.

Is these any other angle here besides complaining about her? He had a pretty good career, there are always jobs out there, might he end up somewhere else?

Too soon to speculate where Hartley goes from here?

I get the desire for piling on Mindy but I was hoping to hear some other things about the situation as well.

I know kindness and empathy are not necessarily what online communication is about, and I have seen Mindy live and in action at games, but I'm sure this is a difficult time for Randy and his family.

Is these any other angle here besides complaining about her? He had a pretty good career, there are always jobs out there, might he end up somewhere else?

Too soon to speculate where Hartley goes from here?

I get the desire for piling on Mindy but I was hoping to hear some other things about the situation as well.
I'm sure he'll land somewhere, if he's willing to take what comes with the offer. Might not be at a school that can create a "Dean of Students" gig out of thin air.

Solid coach. It's also understandable why it wasn't a job that was his for as long as he wanted. What do schools like Hartley want out of their anchor programs? Winning. Winning isn't forever -- everyone knows it. If winning isn't happening, what's the other acceptable outcome? Playing entertaining basketball, and being competitive while doing so.

Good basketball mind? Yes. A basketball mindset compatible with what today's people expect, in-game and over time? Only if it wins.

-----

Hoops coverage is burgeoning in Columbus. We're in an interconnected age where kids get impressions too easily. Look at hoops programs on the east side of Columbus and suburbs'. Gahanna? They pump out dawgs left and right. Reynoldsburg? Pretty respectable big school that isn't afraid to push the ball. Harvest Prep? Press teams to death, run-and-gun and (their league be damned) they do work in the postseason. Pick Central? Defending D1 champs; incredible hoops reputation. Hartley? It just DOESN'T happen. "They don't score." "They struggle in D2 postseason."

Rough times for all involved. Might be a necessary means (cut ties with a slow-ball coach) to a necessary end (up-tempo identity, utilize athleticism better, make it deep in postseason and develop a reputation in today's age.)

When a school non-renews a coach and states they are going in a different direction, it definitely says there is something wrong. Doesn't Randy have a Soph in the program?

I'm always amazed when these things come up. Every supplemental coaching contract I've ever heard of for high school is one year at a time. There is no expectations of the next contract. Now likely there is something going on with the program that isn't good. Sometimes it is just a change of direction for the program, but it's got to be odd to be caught by surprise. Doesn't the AD normally recommend the hire? If the board goes against the AD, that's another issue as well.

I'm always amazed when these things come up. Every supplemental coaching contract I've ever heard of for high school is one year at a time. There is no expectations of the next contract. Now likely there is something going on with the program that isn't good. Sometimes it is just a change of direction for the program, but it's got to be odd to be caught by surprise. Doesn't the AD normally recommend the hire? If the board goes against the AD, that's another issue as well.
Wrong. There are always expectations for the next contract. Not ONE of the coaches that made it to Regionals or Dayton have the expectation they need to be looking for a new job. Most of the 1500+ head basketball coaches in the state have the expectation that they are returning.

Wrong. There are always expectations for the next contract. Not ONE of the coaches that made it to Regionals or Dayton have the expectation they need to be looking for a new job. Most of the 1500+ head basketball coaches in the state have the expectation that they are returning.
Really?

Randy was there a long time and Hartley has been a bit stagnant the last few years. I don’t think you’ll see many coaches hired in 2022 be at the same school coaching in 2042. I just think those days are long gone.

so you mean to tell me that josh sagester, who's the head basketball coach and superintendent at tri-village (who just lost in the d4 state finals), shouldn't be surprised if his contract isn't renewed because it's only a one-year deal? smooth brain take.

so you mean to tell me that josh sagester, who's the head basketball coach and superintendent at tri-village (who just lost in the d4 state finals), shouldn't be surprised if his contract isn't renewed because it's only a one-year deal? smooth brain take.
Might want to use another example. The super runs a district so yes his coaching job is safe unless he is removed as super.

Might want to use another example. The super runs a district so yes his coaching job is safe unless he is removed as super.
Superintendents make recommendations. School Boards vote on every job in every district. That my friends is/has been an issues with school boards who think they know more then the people who make recommendations and are down in the trenches everyday.

Maybe Randy can contact former Kalida teammate Joe Verhoff and they could get back into the bakery business. Those 2 made some great donuts back in the day in Putnam County.

always good to have a solid backup plan

In his case they might get tired of him stealing players from other schools.