Hard to believe - Tim Goodwin is entering his 20th season at Marion Local

CJK84

In 1998, I believe it's correct that MAC schools DSJ, Coldwater, and St. Henry all made the playoffs - so too did ML neighbor Versailles (not yet in the MAC). Both DSJ and Versailles won state titles that year.
Marion Local, by comparison, finished 3-7, had fallen behind other local programs, and was in somewhat of a state of turmoil.
That all changed in 1999 with the hiring of 27 year old TG, who had no prior head coaching experience. To the best of my recollection, here is how the years have gone.

1999: The TG era starts very well as ML defeats Versailles in OT in the opener. The Flyers reach the state semi where they are clobbered by an outstanding DSJ squad 38-8. ML finishes 10-4.

2000: ML defeats DSJ 24-20 in the state semi (probably the greatest ML football victory ever), ending DSJ's 57-game win streak. ML defeats Mogadore 54-0 to claim its first state title, finishing 14-1.

2001: ML again finishes 14-1 with another drubbing of Mogadore in the state final 63-7. Only blemish is a loss to Coldwater.

2002: ML fields a great offensive attack this season, but loses to an inspired Hardin Northern squad 26-16 in the regional final. Final record of 11-2.

2003: After a fairly strong first half of the regular season, ML soon gets blown out by Versailles 37-0 and DSJ 35-7 and is clearly struggling going into the playoffs. But the Flyers reach the state final, losing fairly narrowly to Columbus Grove 28-26 (in which CG's Blaine Maag rushes for 287 yards). Final record of 10-4.

2004: Devastating preseason injuries to two key players, limited talent, and the tragic death of jr wideout Corey Albers midway through the season are all part of a mostly forgettable 4-6 year in which ML does not reach the playoffs. A thrilling upset victory over a really strong Versailles team in week 6 is the only positive memory.

2005: ML gets back on track, posting a 7-3 regular season record before losing to DSJ 28-21 in either the regional semi or regional final.

2006: ML overcomes a 1-2 start and, behind an awesome rushing attack, wins state for the third time (score of 17-0 I believe), holding opponent Shadyside to a mere 52 yards. Final record of 13-2.

2007: TG's second greatest team, behind a tremendous defense (led by the best ML linebacking corps ever) the Flyers run the table at 15-0, defeating powerful Ursuline 21-14 in the D-V state final.

2008: Injuries eventually take their toll and this ML squad gets hammered 35-0 by Aaron Craft and his Liberty Benton teammates in the D-V state semi. Final record of 11-3.

2009: After a 3-0 start, ML loses its next five (and is 1-5 in the MAC). An awesome week 10 upset victory over 8-1 Anna propels ML into the playoffs, where they reach the state semi, losing to DSJ in OT. Final record of 8-6.

2010: ML jumps out to an impressive 7-0 record, but then loses back to back games to strong Coldwater and DSJ teams. Still with high hopes for a rematch with mighty DSJ in the state semi, ML is shocked by Minster 30-26 in the regional semi. Final record 9-3.

2011: A team with talent, but little depth, ML luckily avoids injuries and wins state (for the fifth time) against Buckeye Central 61-21 following an improbable come from behind win the previous week against DSJ. Final record 13-2.

2012: Playing the final 13 games with only five seniors in uniform, TG performs miracles week after week in achieving his 6th state championship, a nailbiting 28-21 victory over Newark Catholic. After week 5, on every defensive snap ML has more sophomores on the field than seniors! Final record 13-2.

2013: A powerhouse ML squad goes 15-0, thrashing Coldwater 47-14 in the regular season and thumping Trimble in the state final (score escapes me). Final record 15-0.

2014: TG's greatest team. Other than a stellar defensive effort by Coldwater, no team puts up much of a fight against this totally dominant Flyer squad. The state final isn't close (can't recall opponent nor score). Final record 15-0 and 8th state championship.

2015: A great team that struggles with injuries, ML is 13-1 going into the state final. The Flyers lose that game narrowly to a determined Kirtland squad 22-20, one of the very few times an ML defense under TG cannot stop a rushing attack.

2016: Another great Flyer squad, with a tremendous defense ML wins state for the 9th time with a 21-17 win over Cuyahoga Heights.

2017: ML has to replace numerous starters, yet somewhat surprisingly goes 15-0 with dominating, mercy-rule victories over Coldwater in the regional final and Kirtland in the state final.

From my limited x's and o's perspective, it appears that Goodwin's teams win by controlling things up front, allowing the skill players to do their thing. Flyer teams seem to always be well prepared, play with great intensity, and with very high focus (few mental errors). I've also heard that TG is excellent at adapting quickly to what's happening on the field on Friday nights, making shrewd adjustments that give his kids an edge.

Special teams play has never been a particular strong point for his teams, but that seems to rarely be an issue in the final score.

TG has reached the state final in 12 of his 19 seasons, winning 10. His playoff record over the most recent seven years is a jaw-dropping 34-1 with six state championships.

I believe he has coached only two athletes who have received D-I offers.

Last edited:

Where did he coach prior to becoming HFC at Marion Local?

Those stats are impressive. I believe he has passed JD Graham (Newark Catholic) as the BEST small school coach ever in the state of Ohio.

Interesting 2002 A/B/C/D scenario

Week 1: Mogadore loses to Delphos St. Johns in week 1 at home 41-12
Week 8: Delphos St. Johns loses to Marion Local 14-7
Week 14 (state semi): Marion Local loses to Hardin Northern 26-16.
Week 15 (state final): Mogadore beats Hardin Northern 27-7.

Matchups can be everything sometimes.

Where did he coach prior to becoming HFC at Marion Local?
I believe he was an assistant coach (and math teacher) at Bluffton High for five years. May have been DC his last season or two there - I think I've heard that.

But I'm not certain where he came from.

I am sure he can analyze and react quickly. In my experience over the years, that is precisely the biggest difference between a coach he has kids prepared to play vs a coach who has kids prepared to play and makes adjustments on the fly (er) giving them a substantial advantage over equal and sometimes superior opponents.

I know it seems like Marion has been dominant forever, they have been fun to watch when playing someone other than the teams I pull for.

If my memory serves me well, the Hardin Northern team was pretty much a one horse show featuring a pretty amazing running back for small school football. In the win over Marion Local I heard that he got pretty beat up, not sure what if any part that played in the state final.

If my memory serves me well, the Hardin Northern team was pretty much a one horse show featuring a pretty amazing running back for small school football. In the win over Marion Local I heard that he got pretty beat up, not sure what if any part that played in the state final.

Hardin still had 211 rushing yards in the finals with their star back going 142 yards on 19 carries.

That doesn't sound too beat up...

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/2002/d6stfinal02.htm

Drew Snow was the kids name. He had 14 carries for 46 yards while his teammate had 19 carries for 142 yards. Mogadore either successfully shut Snow down or he was not at full speed.

Drew Snow was the kids name. He had 14 carries for 46 yards while his teammate had 19 carries for 142 yards. Mogadore either successfully shut Snow down or he was not at full speed.

Was at the game (remember now), Snow got shut down, Mogadore spent most of the defense shutting him down and that other guy broke a few long ones due to that.

Back on topic,
Goodwin has had an amazing career, no doubt about it.

I am sure there are a few coaches/programs around the state that won't shed a tear when he retires, he has been that good.

Also weather ML played HN in a freezing rain/ sleet storm.

I was at that game between MSML and Hardin Northern played in Piqua. Horrific weather. Torrential downpour of rain, almost freezing rain, and very windy.
I was at the game as well. The conditions were bad, but I don't recall much wind, and only a steady, but not particularly heavy, rain that turned into sleet and snow in the second half.

Marion didn't effectively block HN's lb's, couldn't stop Snow's rushing, dropped an accurate lob pass on a fake punt that would have easily earned a first down, and mishandled three potential interceptions (understandable in the wet conditions).

Pete Bruno was an excellent coach at HN - I believe his team won the D-VI state title in 2004.

Goodwin has won 226 games in 19 years almost 12 wins per season which comes out to a 84 % winning percentage. Also the Flyers have won 10 State titles and have had 4 undefeated seasons under his tutelage. Curiously 3 of those 4 undefeated seasons have happened in the last 5 years.

I don't know a ton about ML but that 07 win over Ursuline trumps the 14 team for me. The 14 team didn't play the competition in the playoffs than the 07 team did.

I don't know a ton about ML but that 07 win over Ursuline trumps the 14 team for me. The 14 team didn't play the competition in the playoffs than the 07 team did.

Having followed the Bishop Ready football team that ran into Ursuline in the 07 State Semifinals, that ML win resonates with me.

Does anyone know if Goodwin has ever won state coach of the year honors in his respective division (e.g., Ohio D-VI COY)?

I don't follow such selections closely, but I have never heard that he has.

That is why I also give the slight nod to the 2007 team over the 2014 team. Also, I believe 2007 MSML beat a better Coldwater team. The 2014 Coldwater team was great, but not quite on the level of the 2007 Cavs that went on to beat Alter and Mooney in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Goodwin has won 226 games in 19 years almost 12 wins per season which comes out to a 84 % winning percentage. Also the Flyers have won 10 State titles and have had 4 undefeated seasons under his tutelage. Curiously 3 of those 4 undefeated seasons have happened in the last 5 years.

Part of that might be the advent of seven divisions, which has made the post-season runs slightly easier in small-school it would seem.

^^^ How does the increase to seven divisions make it easier only in the small school divisions?

To be the state champ, a D-VII team, for instance, has to be the best of approximately 105 similarly-sized schools (don't know exact number), the same as the other divisions.

The fact that there's slightly less competition than years ago is true of all the divisions.

The 14 team may have had the best collection of skill talent Marion Local ever had. Jacy Goettemoller career leading touchdowns and rusher at ML no one is even close to him in either category. Hunter Wilker career leader in receiving and second leading scorer in school history. Ryan Bruns who at 6' 7'' was I believe 2nd team All-State at receiver that year. The 07 team however had Koesters and Homan at linebacker who are currently 1st and 2nd in career tackles even though they graduated together. Ryan Stucke one of ML's best safeties ever and Ben Schafer - Luke Bertke at DE. It is amazing that the 07 team only had one First Team All-Ohio player and that was O-lineman Alex Subler, and just one 2nd Team All-Ohio player Chris Stucke at QB.

Last edited:
^^^ I can't recall which 07 safety you're talking about, but it definitely wasn't Ryan Stucke. He was already a senior in either the 04 or 05 season (I think it was 05).

The 14 team may have had the best collection of skill talent Marion Local ever had. Jacy Goettemoller career leading touchdowns and rusher at ML no one is even close to him in either category. Hunter Wilker career leader in receiving and second leading scorer in school history. Ryan Bruns who at 6' 7'' was I believe 2nd team All-State at receiver that year. The 07 team however had Koesters and Homan at linebacker who are currently 1st and 2nd in career tackles even though they graduated together. Ryan Stucke one of ML's best safeties ever and Ben Schafer - Luke Bertke at DE. It is amazing that the 07 team only had one First Team All-Ohio player and that was O-lineman Alex Subler, and just one 2nd Team All-Ohio player Chris Stucke at QB.

I am partial to the 14 or 2013 eam with one severe exception, the Covington game. There was no reason that game should have been that close. Makes me think those going with 07 are correct.

Tim Goodwin deserves all the credit for ML's success.
Actually some of the success should go to Mike Cramer who coached previous to Goodwin. He cleaned up the program but was let go after making some necessary but unpopular decisions. Goodwin walked into a good situation and maximized it but let's not forget what Coach Cramer did for Marion Local.