Happy Father's Day!

FairwoodKing

I know this doesn't belong on a football thread, but I am posting it here anyway so that more men can see it. If I have done wrong, please forgive me.

For those of you who do not subscribe to the Steubenville Herald Star, I would like to post a letter that the HS is going to publish this Sunday. Normally I would wait until the article came out and then just post the link, but over the past few weeks the HS has gotten very greedy and links don't work any more. Thus, I am reproducing the entire letter from my personal files. Here it is:

<<To the Editor:

Today is a day of great joy and great sadness for me. On the one hand, I get yet another chance to remember my dear wonderful father, John A. Carlton, who was the greatest man I ever knew. He may have been the only real man I ever knew. Dad was not only my father, but he was truly my best friend. I have often heard the saying that you can’t be a friend to your children when they are growing up, you have to be a parent. Dad proved this false. From the day I was born in 1948 until the day he passed away in 2009, he was both. The day after I brought him out to my place in Seattle to live from Steubenville, I had major surgery. He was 93 years old but he took better care of me than Florence Nightingale could ever have done. Then a few years later when his health broke down, I took care of him. We helped each other out of love.

It is this latter issue I would like to discuss. For the last six weeks of his life, he was shuttled from one hospital to another. No matter where he was, I would visit him every day. And on each occasion, as I was about to leave, I would kiss him and say, “Dad, I love you.” This was nothing new. For years, Dad and I would kiss and tell each other how much we loved each other. And when Mom was around, there was a tremendous amount of kissing and holding and hugging. We were a very close family and we had no difficulty in expressing our love.

However, I cannot tell you how many times after I told Dad I loved him that a male doctor or nurse or whatever would come up to me and say, “I don’t know how you do it. I could never tell my father I love him.” I found this to be very sad.

To all of you men— If you see your father today, go up to him, say “Dad, I love you” and kiss him on the cheek. He may be shocked and so will you, but it will go down as one of the happiest experiences of your life as well as his.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!

R. Scott Carlton
Big Red Class of 1966
Houston, TX>>

I hope all of you will take my advice and make this a truly blessed Father's Day. You will never regret it.

Scott

Happy Father's Day to you FWK. We all may disagree at times, but we all have Fathers and some of us are. Have a good weekend, just you and the rabbit and a shot of bourbon.

I know this doesn't belong on a football thread, but I am posting it here anyway so that more men can see it. If I have done wrong, please forgive me.

For those of you who do not subscribe to the Steubenville Herald Star, I would like to post a letter that the HS is going to publish this Sunday. Normally I would wait until the article came out and then just post the link, but over the past few weeks the HS has gotten very greedy and links don't work any more. Thus, I am reproducing the entire letter from my personal files. Here it is:

<<To the Editor:

Today is a day of great joy and great sadness for me. On the one hand, I get yet another chance to remember my dear wonderful father, John A. Carlton, who was the greatest man I ever knew. He may have been the only real man I ever knew. Dad was not only my father, but he was truly my best friend. I have often heard the saying that you can’t be a friend to your children when they are growing up, you have to be a parent. Dad proved this false. From the day I was born in 1948 until the day he passed away in 2009, he was both. The day after I brought him out to my place in Seattle to live from Steubenville, I had major surgery. He was 93 years old but he took better care of me than Florence Nightingale could ever have done. Then a few years later when his health broke down, I took care of him. We helped each other out of love.

It is this latter issue I would like to discuss. For the last six weeks of his life, he was shuttled from one hospital to another. No matter where he was, I would visit him every day. And on each occasion, as I was about to leave, I would kiss him and say, “Dad, I love you.” This was nothing new. For years, Dad and I would kiss and tell each other how much we loved each other. And when Mom was around, there was a tremendous amount of kissing and holding and hugging. We were a very close family and we had no difficulty in expressing our love.

However, I cannot tell you how many times after I told Dad I loved him that a male doctor or nurse or whatever would come up to me and say, “I don’t know how you do it. I could never tell my father I love him.” I found this to be very sad.

To all of you men— If you see your father today, go up to him, say “Dad, I love you” and kiss him on the cheek. He may be shocked and so will you, but it will go down as one of the happiest experiences of your life as well as his.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!

R. Scott Carlton
Big Red Class of 1966
Houston, TX>>

I hope all of you will take my advice and make this a truly blessed Father's Day. You will never regret it.

Scott

Very nice Scott, I wish many times I would have told my father I loved him. He was not the kind of man who could show much affection toward his son. I swore I would never let this happen between me and my children and it never has. I tell them I love them every day.

It's kind of hard for me to get all fired up for Father's Day. My dad passed away in 1980 when I was 10 years old. My grandpa on my mom's side had passed away a few years before that in 1976 and my grandpa on my dad's side passed away a few years after that in 1983. So for the past 31 years, I haven't really had anyone to say "Happy Father's Day" to.

Of course now I have my own son and daughter, so they celebrate with me. And of course, I celebrate with my wife's dad - but it all just doesn't seem the same.

As for myself being a dad, I'm not really one who is comfortable being the center of attention and the subject of accolades - especially for doing something that I consider one of the basic, bare minimum requirements of being a human being - just being a decent dad (if you are a dad, that is - no offense meant to those who, for whatever reason, do not have kids). I am, admittedly, and probably pretty obviously from the tone of this post, much better at giving appreciation than I am at receiving it, so I'd much rather go overboard for Mother's Day for my wife and my mom, or for my kids' birthdays than make any kind of big deal over Father's Day. So while I wish all of you other dads a great Father's day, and I hope everyone enjoys time with their father this weekend, this really is just one of those holidays that I just don't get that into.

This Father's Day, I'll be happy if I just get the chance to play with the box the kids came in........

My dad has the same story, zeeman and cruiser. As his son, believe me that I have always appreciated the love I felt from him and it never gets old to hear "I love you" or "I'm proud of you" from your dad. You guys are doing things right.

With your kind permission, I would like to share a few stories between Dad and myself. One took place in 1962 when I was 14 years old. My parents took me to New York City to see the sights. Dad had just bought a brand new white Oldsmobile convertible with maroon seats. The car was gorgeous and the ride was wonderful. When we got to NY, each of the three of us wanted to go someplace different. I wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building, once during the day and once at night. Mom wanted to go inside the Statue of Liberty. And Dad dearly wished to see a game in the old Yankee Stadium. We did all of these things. One day, Dad, who had been a boxing fan in his youth, wanted to eat at Jack Dempsey's restaurant. The meal was fantastic. Those were the best pork chops I ever ate. They melted in my mouth. Then to our great surprise, Jack came over to our table. He wasn't at all what I expected. He was a big handsome guy in an expensively tailored tuxedo. He introduced himself and asked how our meals were. He was very pleased when we all told him our meals were absolutely excellent. The he shook our hands and we introduced ourselves to him. I thought Dad was going to pass out when Jack shook his hand. When he shook my mother's hand, she was overwhelmed with his charm. Then it was my turn and I got one of the great shocks of my life. I never before or since have seen a hand that size. My little 14-year-old hand got totally lost in his. It was like shaking hands with someone wearing a very large baseball glove. Then he signed a menu and addressed it to Dad, said goodbye, and left. It was truly a memorable evening.

My wife got my dad and I tickets to the Bridgestone. That's a wife, fellas. Dad, my soon to be brother-in-law, and myself are golfing in the morning, then a big lunch at my parents with the wife, kids, parents, sister and her fiance. Looks to be a solid day. Diddle the wife at night.

Worked in the yard all day yesterday. With my son, some. Today is his 17th Birthday. Very proud of him. He actually told me yesterday that we're just alike... both very stubborn and he knows that's why we argue, and it's OK because he knows how much I love him. Kind of a step towards being best buds agains and away from the "I'm 16 and you're the Devil" years I think.

Still, I've already out lived my Pops. I see him in my boy... his smile and the way he stands. Sounds cheesy, but I just watched my boy stroll his big ole blue eyed muscled up butt out and climb in his Jeep to head to football... and all I could wish was my Pop could see him. Strange how no matter how tough we are, how big we are, how much money we make or what we accomplish... we're still in the end just our father's sons, trying to do a good job.

Hope all you cats had a great Father's Day. Sorry I'm sappy this morning... just a rough Holiday for me.

Worked in the yard all day yesterday. With my son, some. Today is his 17th Birthday. Very proud of him. He actually told me yesterday that we're just alike... both very stubborn and he knows that's why we argue, and it's OK because he knows how much I love him. Kind of a step towards being best buds agains and away from the "I'm 16 and you're the Devil" years I think.

Still, I've already out lived my Pops. I see him in my boy... his smile and the way he stands. Sounds cheesy, but I just watched my boy stroll his big ole blue eyed muscled up butt out and climb in his Jeep to head to football... and all I could wish was my Pop could see him. Strange how no matter how tough we are, how big we are, how much money we make or what we accomplish... we're still in the end just our father's sons, trying to do a good job.

Hope all you cats had a great Father's Day. Sorry I'm sappy this morning... just a rough Holiday for me.

Damn Slide, we had the exact same Father's Day. Painted all day at our spot out on Brookville lake LOL. Boy did cut the grass for me though.

Stop. You big baby! Lol j/k.

I golfed all weekend! I sucked but it was nice to get out and not take any guff about it.

Miss my dad too, nothing but smiles when I think of him and the stupid sht he would do. Funny!
died at 63 in 2003.

Stop. You big baby! Lol j/k.

I golfed all weekend! I sucked but it was nice to get out and not take any guff about it.

Miss my dad too, nothing but smiles when I think of him and the stupid sht he would do. Funny!
died at 63 in 2003.

Stop it... I'm gettin' the vapors. :blush:

A few years ago, my Dad and I were fishing, and ended up reminiscing about the glories and misadventures of our respective younger years. When I told him I had always wondered what the heck went went wrong with him for those few years back there, he wanted me to be more specific.

I told him that when I was little, he was a genius - almost god-like. Around the time I was 12, he started getting dumber and dumber. By the time I was 15 or 16, he really didn't know much of anything about what I thought mattered. Sad, really. Poor guy. The years go by, I get out in the work world, get my first house, and he becomes pretty smart again. Really smart, actually. Funny how that works....