Hamilton Twp: the post-Hillerich era, 2017-?

Zunardo

I'm still reeling from the loss last week of Hamilton Twp's winningest coach, Nate Hillerich, to Pickerington North.

It will be interesting to see who HT's new HC will be for this fall. Not an optimal transition time, with less than 4 months to prepare for week 1. We can only hope the program that Hillerich had in place will continue, and that the new man steps in with as few seams as possible.

We Ranger fans have been spoiled during the last six years with Sheriff Nate's success, although we've been cautious while savoring a bit of complacency at the same time. We went through too many lean seasons not to appreciate each and every win, even when going to the playoffs multiple times.

As some of the Huddlers use to rag me about, I'll be sipping a mocha cappuccino in quiet reflection and anticipation. Hopefully we'll also get a Mid-State League Buckeye thread going for the fall, and start bringing the faithful in from the cold and back into the fold.

It's oft used in NFL terms in reference to quarterback moves in the off-season, but could HT be best served using the "bridge" approach in finding a new coach for the upcoming season? By bridge, I mean if HT would look at utilizing a coach that would only be there for a year in an effort to ensure the opportunity for a longer-term coach can be there in 2018.

With the opening coming in late April, is a long-term solution for the head coaching job still viable?

If HT were to go with a short term hire, the question becomes "are there any assistants on Nate's staff that could take this job?" If not, would Mike Yonnotti be a possible candidate if he were interested? Former assistant at HT, I believe under Jacoby. Former coach at Canal Winchester back when CW was a small school in the 90's. He took the job @ Fisher in late July of 2015 and got them their first winning season in nine years that same season. He's a coach that emphasizes good defense, and when given the tools to succeed (talent, numbers, and structure) he can make a winning team. I think HT already has those tools to be successful, and if HT is looking for a short-term solution then I think "Coach Y" has to be their guy if there isn't anyone in the building that can step up.

Best of luck to the Rathmell Rangers in their search. Maybe they don't have to go short term in a hire, wasn't Sheriff Nate a summer hire back when the job last was open? It seems like HT can pull off a 'home run hire' again this time around and get a young guy that can stay for a while. I suppose the question becomes will they? They will definitely need to look at all possible options and routes to go in this process. "The best laid plans of mice and men off go awry."

Maybe they don't have to go short term in a hire, wasn't Sheriff Nate a summer hire back when the job last was open?

Good point. I had to look it up - Bob Jacoby's resignation was made official in the BOE meeting minutes on April 20 that year, so pretty similar time frame.

Two main differences between then and now:

- then it wasn't as devastating to the program because of the program's struggles up to that point. I remember being shocked when Hillerich was selected, primarily because of his youth, and because he had only one season as an high-school assistant.

- the HT program itself did not get much respect, Jacoby's long-term record notwithstanding. I'm guessing we didn't get a lot of applicants from outside. We were lucky to have someone within the school (and with a plethora of boyish enthusiasm) wanting to take the reins.

This time we might have strong candidates both within the current staff and from respected programs around central Ohio interested, now that word of our secret air-conditioned practice facility (code name: "The Barn") has gotten out. :D

But I think you're right, we do have some reason to be not as pessimistic this time around. August is right around the corner.

Why wouldn't they hire a qualified assistant? I would Gus's one would be there.

Does Hamilton have the rule that they will only pay a coach a certain number of years experience. By that I mean 5-10. Many times that eliminates coaches who are willing to come coach but have enough years that it results in a pay cut.

Schools are always looking for the best teacher coach but only if they will come at less money.. Try that one in the business world.

Established coaches have inquired about the job and have been told that the job will stay inside