Gwoc

catscatscats

Who will be tops in each event this year. Will anyone challenge Redd? Will Wayne or Trotwood be able to keep up with Somerlot and the boys?

GWOC is up for grabs i think, the first time in a long time.

I'll give the upper hand to Centerville, the defending champs, but never count out Wayne or Trotwood.

The question is can any other team step up? What does Northmont have, will Butler be a factor? Hey Cats, what does Springfield have?

In the hurdles, it looks like Odinigbo is the top hurdler returning, nothing really comes back, so look for some surprises here.

In the sprints, Odinigbo is a factor, as well as Burrows/Crisp of Trotwood, Morgan/Richardson of Wayne

The 800 could be a great race, especially if Redd runs, Murakami of Centerville, Milner of Trotwood and Beckham of Wayne all have been under 158...

The 1600/3200 will have Redd the favorite, as well as Steible of Centerville, Brumfield of Butler, Melko of MIaimisburg and Gentile of Fairmont,

in the relays, not really sure what members comes back with each relay, but i'm guessing from years past, 4x8 will be Centerville, however Trotwood surprised last here and qualifed for state. Im sure Wayne and Butler will be strong, too.

4x100/4x200/4x400 will be the same as always, the Wayne's,Centerville and Trotwoods leading the way

Field Events seem to be on Wayne's side, they return the best discus guy in Peterson, the best pole vaulter in Shiverdecker, the best high jumper in Latimer, the 2nd best shot putter in Thornton, as well as another 13 foot pole vaulter, a 20 foot long jumper, and Mims in the discus.

Centerville has McGowan back in both throws, too.

I'm banking on Centerville depth to help them this year, but Wayne seems to be in good shape too... Trotwood doesn't, in my eyes have enough depth to compete in the conference with the two big boys of Centerville and Wayne...

I think the relays are Trotwoods to lose. Springfield should have a good 4x1 team they return 3 runners off last years regional qualifying team. Trotwood should be loaded as usual and Centerville will be deep as usual.

How will Wayne be this season? Jordan Morgan was the fastest sprinter but he tore his ACL during football so that could change a lot. Northmont lost Walker who else do they have?

Springfield is young a lot of sophomores and 1st year juniors on the team. Losing Bass will hurt them tremendously but they have some young talent that can step should have a jumper that can get out to 20 ft as well as a 6' high jumper.

First meet is exactly a month away for a lot of teams. I know Springfield is going to Northmont for the 1st one

I think the relays are Trotwoods to lose. Springfield should have a good 4x1 team they return 3 runners off last years regional qualifying team. Trotwood should be loaded as usual and Centerville will be deep as usual.

How will Wayne be this season? Jordan Morgan was the fastest sprinter but he tore his ACL during football so that could change a lot. Northmont lost Walker who else do they have?

Springfield is young a lot of sophomores and 1st year juniors on the team. Losing Bass will hurt them tremendously but they have some young talent that can step should have a jumper that can get out to 20 ft as well as a 6' high jumper.

First meet is exactly a month away for a lot of teams. I know Springfield is going to Northmont for the 1st one
didn't know that about Morgan, that def. could/would change some things.
Springfield would surprise me for sure, if what you said indeed comes out.

Trotwood will be interesting to me, they too lost some key members, and i'm curious to see how year 2 under Coach Logan goes (or you can view as year 2 without the lengendary coach Wagoner).

I will say this, no sprinter in the conference really stands out, just the distance and field kids, probably a first in the conference.

what's your take on the girls? will Lebanon be strong again, what aobut Wayne and Centerville, or even Beavercreek-they had a strong cc campaign, will it lead to outdoor track success?

didn't know that about Morgan, that def. could/would change some things.
Springfield would surprise me for sure, if what you said indeed comes out.

Trotwood will be interesting to me, they too lost some key members, and i'm curious to see how year 2 under Coach Logan goes (or you can view as year 2 without the lengendary coach Wagoner).

I will say this, no sprinter in the conference really stands out, just the distance and field kids, probably a first in the conference.

what's your take on the girls? will Lebanon be strong again, what aobut Wayne and Centerville, or even Beavercreek-they had a strong cc campaign, will it lead to outdoor track success?

I can never figure the Creek out. They do great in CC boys and girls but it never translates into Track. Don't know if the same kids are coming out or what. Think Lebanon will be the team to beat in the girls side but don't over look Wayne the Woods girl could score a lot of points in the sprints

I can never figure the Creek out. They do great in CC boys and girls but it never translates into Track. Don't know if the same kids are coming out or what. Think Lebanon will be the team to beat in the girls side but don't over look Wayne the Woods girl could score a lot of points in the sprints

i like wayne girls too, but Lebanon being defending gwoc champs, they should have somewhat of an upper hand.
Not sure if the wood girls have that depth that Lebanon and Wayne has. I say Centerville girls have the darkhorse title, they could do some damage, i just think they need to find an identity, sprint team or distance/field team...

back to boys, what do you think about the lower tier teams:
such as- Xenia, Beavercreek, West Carrollton, Greenville..... i feel bad for them to try and compete in this "big boy" league...,
My guess for team champs (this is my february guess, it'll change as season progresses...:p )
Central - Centerville - Darkhorse Wayne
South - Lebanon - Darkhorse Miamisburg
North - Trotwood - Darkhorse Butler
overall - Centerville
girls
Central - Centerville (slightly over Wayne, but they are defending champs)
South- Lebanon - Darkhorse Springboro
North - Butler - maybe trotwood
overall Lebanon

also, my sources tell me that McGowan of Centerville is just preparing for football and not coming out to throw, i hope that's not true, surely Coach Somerlot can talk him into it, if not, then Coach Ullery better talk with him, hopefully it's not true, but they always say, where there's smoke, there's fire.. someone know any truth to this?

i like wayne girls too, but Lebanon being defending gwoc champs, they should have somewhat of an upper hand.
Not sure if the wood girls have that depth that Lebanon and Wayne has. I say Centerville girls have the darkhorse title, they could do some damage, i just think they need to find an identity, sprint team or distance/field team...

back to boys, what do you think about the lower tier teams:
such as- Xenia, Beavercreek, West Carrollton, Greenville..... i feel bad for them to try and compete in this "big boy" league...,
My guess for team champs (this is my february guess, it'll change as season progresses...:p )
Central - Centerville - Darkhorse Wayne
South - Lebanon - Darkhorse Miamisburg
North - Trotwood - Darkhorse Butler
overall - Centerville
girls
Central - Centerville (slightly over Wayne, but they are defending champs)
South- Lebanon - Darkhorse Springboro
North - Butler - maybe trotwood
overall Lebanon

also, my sources tell me that McGowan of Centerville is just preparing for football and not coming out to throw, i hope that's not true, surely Coach Somerlot can talk him into it, if not, then Coach Ullery better talk with him, hopefully it's not true, but they always say, where there's smoke, there's fire.. someone know any truth to this?

If Mcgowan is not throwing that will hurt the Elks. I'm sure Somerlot has somebody in waiting though. I never understood why Greenville left the league and then decided to come back. Beavercreek is one of the biggest schools in the state and has great CC runners usually don't know if the coach is just not getting those kids out or what. West Carrollton???????????.

What does Lebanon have coming back for the boys Norris is gone that was a lot of there points.

gwoc girls

to ilove track:

I am pretty sure catscatscats was referring to the Wayne sprinter with the last name of Woods, not Trotwood as a team. She will be a factor this spring. That said Lebanon will be strong again even with significant loses to graduation, Centerville should be a player as well. It should be an interesting spring, can not wait for it to start!

Heard Morgan from Wayne tore acl during football? Also heard Crisp from Trotwood was banged up during football. Seen Wayne down at the Arnold this past weekend looks like they will be loaded in the boys jumps

McGowan is throwing this year

that's good to hear, but i noticed he hasn't thrown yet indoors, what's the deal there, wasn't he a placer at the state indoors last year?

do you know what's going on with the hurdler odenigbo? i saw the results at Kent, and he had what i would call a "pedestrian" time for him in the 60 meter dash (7.41, and 7.15 was his seed time, plus his teammate beat him) and he DNF in the 60 hurdles...

i know centerville lost some senior's last year, but i figured they'd be in somewhat of the hunt for the indoor title this year, after coming 2nd last year.

that being said, i still believe they will be the ones to beat in the GWOC.... Wayne, it seems every year, you think it's a down year for them, they seem to just continue to come up with surprise athletes.... if anyone can beat the ELks, is definetly the Warriors...

to ilove track:

I am pretty sure catscatscats was referring to the Wayne sprinter with the last name of Woods, not Trotwood as a team. She will be a factor this spring. That said Lebanon will be strong again even with significant loses to graduation, Centerville should be a player as well. It should be an interesting spring, can not wait for it to start!

thanks for clarification bucki... i agree, she seems to be a strong runner, especially going into her junior year, i too think she'll have a big year, they also have a really good hurdler in faircloth, too... Add that 800 Latimer girl, the girls could be a dominate team too (Wayne that is)

@Ilovetrack

Benny isn't throwing indoors - just outdoors, that has been the plan for a few months now

Odenigbo - is just coming back from competing in all star footbal games - Under Armour and US vs. World - so he is getting back in to track shape now.

GWOC this year will be interesting, but I agree that Centerville is the team to beat. They are defending champs and have a team size for just the boys that is bigger than most Div 1 programs boys and girls programs combined. Depth and numbers doesn't win championships, but having many good athletes does. Trotwood and Wayne will be in the mix too. Another great meet will be the Warrior/Elk Dual (check OHRunners for date) as that will be a showdown of what Centerville and Wayne both have.

@realohrunner

thanks for the information, sounds like coach somerlot has a plan for both of them

also, wayne seems to have done a decent indoor campaign, what do you think there chances are indoors, they seem to have a loaded field event squad, do you think that's enough to make a run? Pemberville did it a year ago didnt' they (beat Dunbar D2 indoors)...

St. Edwards is the team to beat indoors and Lancaster has some big points with Kidder, but Wayne does have a chance. Wayne should be top 3, and if things happen the right way for Wayne, they have a shot at the title. It definitely is a field heavy team indoors this year.

4x8 preview

Nice early 4x8 matchup for GWOC with Wayne, Centervilles and Butler at indoor state. With all the good weather we have had I expect fast times. Wayne clearly the favorite but should be tight and hopefully all 3 teams do well!

Tipp on 3/24
Wayne 9/10 meet on 3/27
Trotwood on 3/31
Wayne Relays on 4/3

Elk Relays on the 4/14
Dayton Relays the Following Friday
Wayne Invite on 4/26 - 4/27

Nice early 4x8 matchup for GWOC with Wayne, Centervilles and Butler at indoor state. With all the good weather we have had I expect fast times. Wayne clearly the favorite but should be tight and hopefully all 3 teams do well!

Butler won the early Gwoc battle with a nice 8:11 but wayne's 4th leg pulled up with a cramp. I dont put a lot of stock in these early relays because a lot of teams don't run their best 4 guys but A nice showing for butler with 6th place finish. I still think Wayne is gwoc team to beat in 4x8.

It's the first time in several years that I haven't seen trotwood at indoor state. Maybe taking a different approach this year.

Butler won the early Gwoc battle with a nice 8:11 but wayne's 4th leg pulled up with a cramp. I dont put a lot of stock in these early relays because a lot of teams don't run their best 4 guys but A nice showing for butler with 6th place finish. I still think Wayne is gwoc team to beat in 4x8.

It's the first time in several years that I haven't seen trotwood at indoor state. Maybe taking a different approach this year.

Nice race for Butler, they seem to be the ones to beat in my eyes... as always, another loaded region for the 4x800 - heck, just 4 teams alone in the gwoc will battle it out - Butler, Centerville, Wayne and Trotwood...., add in Mason, Lakota West, St. Xavier, maybe LaSalle and some other schools, ... could be pressure cooker of an event!

So, now that indoor season is done, we'll get a better feel of what GWOC schools will do, i still believe the Elks (even with a sub-par indoor campaign), Wayne and Trotwood, but Butler is intriguing now, i'm sure they'll find enough weapons at least for the North division.

Where did the Staten kid come from (hurdler from Wayne), he had a pretty good hurdle indoor mark, i didn't remember him from last year, milesplit says he's a senior, was he hurt last year? i only remember Tray Hammondscott and Ellington...

Also, nice showing for Redd in the 1600, solid time and great place (4:21), i'm rooting for him to have a great senior year!

Speaking of Trotwood, what's the deal with them at state indoor? I can't believe they all scratched in each event, did they even show up?

I didn't see Centerville score at the state meet, is that a first?

Where is everyone at this weekend, someone start a thread on that :blush:

We will see this weekend as a early GWOC preview. The Elk relays is always a good meet to see Wayne and Centerville go head to head. This meet is a little later then it has been in the past so should be a little better of a gauge to see where these teams are at.

If Troy does not have anything in the Jumps and Throws then they will not be able to compete with the Big boys. It takes depth if all of the events to win the GWOC

If Troy does not have anything in the Jumps and Throws then they will not be able to compete with the Big boys. It takes depth if all of the events to win the GWOC

They don't have 4 million kids like Centerville and Wayne but they are good and will give trot wood a run in the north.

They don't have 4 million kids like Centerville and Wayne but they are good and will give trot wood a run in the north.

Lol that is always what I say too Fervent. Troy gave a good outing and finished a strong second to Trotwood last week. Nick James is very legit, but unfortunately I dont see them winning the GWOC, but still a good squad. Girls team is strong too.

Elks Relays Results

Men - Team Rankings - 18 Events Scored
1) Centerville 162
2) Wayne 131
3) Kings 90
4) B Centerville High School 77
5) West Carrollton 42
6) B Wayne High School 40
7) Lima Senior 34
8) Miamisburg 23
9) Beavercreek 15
9) Horizon Science Acad.Dayt 15
11) Springboro 11
12) Eaton 7
13) St. Charles 6
14) Chaminade Julienne 2
15) Archbishop Moeller 1

Elks looked solid. Was really surprised by their sprint relays. 1:29.5 in 4x2, 43.3 in 4x100, though Wayne went 43 flat. And 3:25 in 4x4. They will be a factor in the Dayton relay sprints. Not that they'll touch Dunbar, who is loaded. Wayne looked especially good in the throws. Should be another good year for GWOC teams at regionals... we'll see.

This was a Wayne team that did not have Jessie Bray and Javon Harrison so its going to be on good showdown between these two at league

GWOC Meet Overall Prediction

1. Wayne - Best Overall with field, sprints, relays.
2. Centerville - Second best by far with everything including distance but not as much as Wayne overall in my opinion.
3. Troy - Great sprinter, pole vaulters, good relays and some distance.

I think #3 will be close in the overall with Trotwood, Northmont, Lebanon, Butler with outside shots.