GWOC Goes to League-Only Format

Wayne is stacked this year...... it has nothing to do with the losing record and all to do with the politics.
I don't worry about the politics as much as I do the Head Coach and how they run the program. Minton's departure was a huge surprise, but can Mukes make it?

20200802_111723.jpg

IF we football in the fall and IF there are no postponements, I would rather the GWOC schools play other D1 non-GWOC schools vs. one another again. There would be no Harbin points making it difficult to make the playoffs.
Harbins are calculated as an average per game and the OHSAA got rid of the 8 game minimum. It won't affect qualification for the playoffs.

So who does this affect? Geeze. I think this is over reaction on Trotwood’s part. Might see some Rams suiting up for Northmont, Wayne, Butler. That’s if Montgomery County doesn’t force schools to cancel.

Anyone else see where Northmont pushed their start date of school back and are going online only due to their recent positive tests among the staff. Too early to tell how this affects them for fall sports, but I'm assuming it's not a great thing.

So who does this affect? Geeze. I think this is over reaction on Trotwood’s part. Might see some Rams suiting up for Northmont, Wayne, Butler. That’s if Montgomery County doesn’t force schools to cancel.
Nobody in gwoc. I mean you go from 10 games to 7 so I guess whoever was scheduled outside of lg play

Anyone else see where Northmont pushed their start date of school back and are going online only due to their recent positive tests among the staff. Too early to tell how this affects them for fall sports, but I'm assuming it's not a great thing.
I’ve seen a few districts pushing back and wondered how it will effect fall sports.

Trotwood may have a hard time scheduling opponents if most conferences go to league play only. This may be a way to stop the bleeding before it starts.

Just saw that Northmont is going virtual this fall. By rule, can athletes play fall sports or will this decision end all fall sports in the district?

How does the OHSAA look at this? Would the Trotwood players be eligible immediately or ineligible for last 5 games and playoffs?

many leagues in central ohio are looking at doing the same from what I am hearing. If we get a green light this week for sure, you will see a mad scramble to do all league games to start season and the open dates at back of schedule will be used to make up games in event we get games cancelled due to positive tests.

many leagues in central ohio are looking at doing the same from what I am hearing. If we get a green light this week for sure, you will see a mad scramble to do all league games to start season and the open dates at back of schedule will be used to make up games in event we get games cancelled due to positive tests.
Only thing is OCC is in better position for full 10 games then most

Nobody in gwoc. I mean you go from 10 games to 7 so I guess whoever was scheduled outside of lg play

Well actually they can still play 10 games. If the first 7 weeks are played with no problems than teams will play other GWOC teams for a 2nd time. The problem is that those games would not count in the Harbins since the opponents are not known prior to week 1.

Well actually they can still play 10 games. If the first 7 weeks are played with no problems than teams will play other GWOC teams for a 2nd time. The problem is that those games would not count in the Harbins since the opponents are not known prior to week 1.
I wonder if the GWOC would pivot for weeks 8-10 if the first 7 weeks go well. I don't understand how a GWOC team would qualify for the playoffs if they go 5-2, which would be good with the depth of the conference this year.

I wonder if the GWOC would pivot for weeks 8-10 if the first 7 weeks go well. I don't understand how a GWOC team would qualify for the playoffs if they go 5-2, which would be good with the depth of the conference this year.

I explained it earlier in this thread but I will do it again. Lets do the minimum total a team can get with a 5-2 record in a closed system like we will have in the GWOC.

So, worst case scenario for a team to go 5-2 would be that the teams would finish like this...

7-0
6-1
5-2* (lost to 7-0 and 6-1 team)
4-3
3-4
2-5
1-6
0-7

Since the GWOC are all D1 (0.65 per win) teams it makes it simple. 5 wins for the 5-2 team gives them 3.25 Level 1 points, now since they did not play 10 games they get an L1 divisor of .7 bring the total to 4.642 divide by typical 10 week schedule.

Now for level 2 points.... the 5-2 team beat everyone below them in the league, that would be 10 L2 victories or 6.5 Level 2 points. Since the 5-2 team's opponents all played 7 games that would make their L2 divisor .49 (7 teams playing 7 games divided by 100). 6.5/.49 = 13.265

4.642 + 13.265 = 17.907

Looking at R2 last year this would get them in the playoffs as an 8th seed and if they were in R4 as a 6th seed.

It is not the best scenario and depending on how other teams in the region schedule it could definitely be a disadvantage but a 5-2 GWOC team can make the playoffs.

I explained it earlier in this thread but I will do it again. Lets do the minimum total a team can get with a 5-2 record in a closed system like we will have in the GWOC.

So, worst case scenario for a team to go 5-2 would be that the teams would finish like this...

7-0
6-1
5-2* (lost to 7-0 and 6-1 team)
4-3
3-4
2-5
1-6
0-7

Since the GWOC are all D1 (0.65 per win) teams it makes it simple. 5 wins for the 5-2 team gives them 3.25 Level 1 points, now since they did not play 10 games they get an L1 divisor of .7 bring the total to 4.642 divide by typical 10 week schedule.

Now for level 2 points.... the 5-2 team beat everyone below them in the league, that would be 10 L2 victories or 6.5 Level 2 points. Since the 5-2 team's opponents all played 7 games that would make their L2 divisor .49 (7 teams playing 7 games divided by 100). 6.5/.49 = 13.265

4.642 + 13.265 = 17.907

Looking at R2 last year this would get them in the playoffs as an 8th seed and if they were in R4 as a 6th seed.

It is not the best scenario and depending on how other teams in the region schedule it could definitely be a disadvantage but a 5-2 GWOC team can make the playoffs.
I know it is possible, but I think we have 4 GWOC teams that can make the playoffs this year if it were a normal season. Maybe the playing field will be level with other teams only having 7-8 games or maybe the OHSAA will take a Harbin points per game average x 10.

Ohsaa expanding playoffs helps as well. So if weeks 1-7 go fine then do you have 8,9,10 off or can you find a game?

Ohsaa expanding playoffs helps as well. So if weeks 1-7 go fine then do you have 8,9,10 off or can you find a game?
I thought expanding the playoffs was next year, right? How many will get in again? 12 or 14? I can't remember.

I believe 12 but could be wrong. If it’s next year that makes this even more interesting or is gwoc saying they wont participate in playoffs

I know it is possible, but I think we have 4 GWOC teams that can make the playoffs this year if it were a normal season. Maybe the playing field will be level with other teams only having 7-8 games or maybe the OHSAA will take a Harbin points per game average x 10.

That is what Level 1 and Level 2 divisors are for. No matter how many games you or your opponents play it is averaged over a 10 game season with each of your opponents playing 10 games.

The problem the GWOC will have is that all of the Harbins will be closed.... meaning no GWOC team gain points from non-GWOC teams.

The Harbin Totals I posted for a 5-2 team in the GWOC would be the minimum amount they could get.....

For example, a GWOC team could go 4-3 and receive 22.285 Harbins.....

Now, if this happens it would get really interesting but if you think about it it could actually happen.....

Springfield 4-3
Centerville 4-3
Springboro 4-3
Fairmont 4-3
Northmont 4-3
Wayne 4-3
Miamisburg 4-3
Beaevercreek 0-7

If this happens, all of the GWOC 4-3 teams would have a Harbin total of 19.632

Wayne is stacked this year...... it has nothing to do with the losing record and all to do with the politics.

I wish them well. I hope someone else enjoys my old seats. My guess is even with the stacked team, that they will lack discipline and go 2-4 or 3-3 at best and then lose the first game of the playoffs.

I wish them well. I hope someone else enjoys my old seats. My guess is even with the stacked team, that they will lack discipline and go 2-4 or 3-3 at best and then lose the first game of the playoffs.

Well, looks like my streak of 433 straight Wayne games will come to an end this season..... maybe not, frankly I don't care anymore.....

There is no way they should go worse than 5-1 and depending on how many teams decide to play in the playoffs win at least 2 of those but you are right. If the coaching is not in place and the discipline is not there then it will be another disaster of a season. I have a feeling that if we are aloud in to the games that it might be one and done for me depending on the politics of the possible fiasco that is ahead of us.

Well, looks like my streak of 433 straight Wayne games will come to an end this season..... maybe not, frankly I don't care anymore.....
I don't know how many games we ran on the radio but that streak may be ending too due to lack of announcers willing to volunteer their time. If it does get on the air there may be some road games missed due to restrictions on press space. All we can do is play it by ear.

I'm curious how the GWOC intends to shrink the schedule to fit in the OHSAA proposed 6 game regular season.