GWOC 19-20

Fan4life!

Who are the favorites in the GWOC this year?

Springfield, Wayne, Centerville, Trotwood-Madison?

The American division looks the toughest IMO.

Well with Cupps having his son dress and play at the varsity level, I would say Centerville is a favorite. Can anyone tell me when a "Freshman" dressed and played Varsity at Centerville?

Not sure on the Centerville scenario. However, I'm interested to see how Springfield does. They always seem to how up, even after losing some key pieces.

Wayne seems young, but they always compete.

Can Trotwood compete again in the conference, even after losing some key pieces?

Heard that Anderson kid isn't playing this year for Trotwood because of football commitment. Bummer for them. I'm interested to see how they turn out. I think they will still compete well though.

Itkcman,
C'ville has never had a varsity B-Ball start as a freshman. They have had 3 football freshman start as Freshman...Dave Brown in'70, Matt Bradley in '80 and A.J. Hawk in '98. All went on to be All-State later. So yes...it is rare.

Well with Cupps having his son dress and play at the varsity level, I would say Centerville is a favorite. Can anyone tell me when a "Freshman" dressed and played Varsity at Centerville?

Lol CVille better hope that Wayne does not start their freshman. In the 8th grade championship game that youngster was all over cups is the 2nd 1/2. Of course that kind of defensive pressure would not be allowed at CVille especially with daddy screaming in the background.

Has cups grown any?

Lol CVille better hope that Wayne does not start their freshman. In the 8th grade championship game that youngster was all over cups is the 2nd 1/2. Of course that kind of defensive pressure would not be allowed at CVille especially with daddy screaming in the background.

Has cups grown any?
Give your Cupps hate a break this season. It doesn't become you. You have a lot of good observations. I just don't get the personal thing with Coach Cupps.

Give your Cupps hate a break this season. It doesn't become you. You have a lot of good observations. I just don't get the personal thing with Coach Cupps.

I do not hate the coach I just have a personality that is the opposite of his. I wish CVille the best. I want a powerful SW Ohio that does well in March.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Heard that Anderson kid isn't playing this year for Trotwood because of football commitment. Bummer for them. I'm interested to see how they turn out. I think they will still compete well though.
Well he started the other night and looked pretty good. Plus the move-in from NC, Blake. About 6'2, 6'3ish, he is good. Very good. Once he get's used to that system, watch out. Rams are going to be good this year.

Itkcman, yes, there were 2 freshman that I know of who played some minutes at the varsity level for the Centerville Elks, Ben Rhoda and AJ Hawk way back in 1999...coach Staley did not believe in putting freshman on the varsity because he believed that by starting them on the reserve team (today they call it junior varsity) the many minutes that they would get would be more beneficial than playing sparingly with the varsity. Rhoda and Hawk were so advanced in their development that they were often inserted into varsity games (even though their jv uniforms were different from the varsity) and were allowed to sit on the bench with the varsity after their games were over. Hawk never played basketball after 10th grade and Rhoda went onto become a 3 year starter, all time leading scorer, first ever Centerville all state basketball player and led them to their first ever regional finals game (lost to Columbus Brookhaven with 6 D-1 players and considered one of Ohio's best ever teams and the school does not even exist anymore) and in 2002 led the Elks in what is thought to be their best ever basketball team...

Has cups grown any?
Cupps has grown a little and is a good player. I am surprised that he started right away but guess that is the benefit when your daddy is the head coach. I did like Wayne's frosh - very smooth and good size (just skinny).

Cupps has grown a little and is a good player. I am surprised that he started right away but guess that is the benefit when your daddy is the head coach. I did like Wayne's frosh - very smooth and good size (just skinny).

Excellent value for our money over the coming 4 years.

Hardcorps is easily the most unhappy poster I have ever seen on this site. You started to knock the Cupps kid last year when he was in 8th grade.....but have knocked his Dad year in & year out!

I’ve never seen him play 1 game, but the team must be very young for him & 2 sophomores to start against Wayne last night

Cupps has taken Centerville to the Elite 8 3 or 4 times in last 8 years.....correct? Before that, the program went once in 50 years, but wow, it’s a shame we can’t compete. Your hatred is so sad and don’t understand why you would ever comment on anything about Centerville. Every poster on here knows your going degrade, downplay, or remind us we are not ever going to compete with anyone you respect!

We suck, your the smartest guy in your basement,Ullery sucks,Cupps sucks, younger Cupps sucks, the city sucks.....we know, we know.

You must not know Coach Cupps very well. If his kid wasnt worthy he wouldn't be playing
I do think Cupps is a good coach and has outperformed his talent in the past. I thought he might transition his kid in more slowly out of respect for other kids in the program. I was guessing varsity minutes by mid-year...I was wrong.

You must not know Coach Cupps very well. If his kid wasnt worthy he wouldn't be playing
Hardcorps is easily the most unhappy poster I have ever seen on this site. You started to knock the Cupps kid last year when he was in 8th grade.....but have knocked his Dad year in & year out!

I’ve never seen him play 1 game, but the team must be very young for him & 2 sophomores to start against Wayne last night

Cupps has taken Centerville to the Elite 8 3 or 4 times in last 8 years.....correct? Before that, the program went once in 50 years, but wow, it’s a shame we can’t compete. Your hatred is so sad and don’t understand why you would ever comment on anything about Centerville. Every poster on here knows your going degrade, downplay, or remind us we are not ever going to compete with anyone you respect!

We suck, your the smartest guy in your basement,Ullery sucks,Cupps sucks, younger Cupps sucks, the city sucks.....we know, we know.

Lol. Wow. Have a happy Christmas season.

Yep. Hardcorps been singin the same pitiful, petty, small tune for last year on here. Especially about Cupps. He knows nothing about the program or what Cupps teaches or how playing time is earned.

To clarify they have been to Elite 8 twice in last four seasons. And Sweet 16/district champs, three times in last five years. Not a single D1 college player on any of those teams. And just a sprinkling of D2/D3 guys.

Yep. Hardcorps been singin the same pitiful, petty, small tune for last year on here. Especially about Cupps. He knows nothing about the program or what Cupps teaches or how playing time is earned.

To clarify they have been to Elite 8 twice in last four seasons. And Sweet 16/district champs, three times in last five years. Not a single D1 college player on any of those teams. And just a sprinkling of D2/D3 guys.

Lol I wish CVille the best. Hopefully, SW Ohio will continue to get stronger.

Gabe Cupps is the best guard Centerville has right. Out of respect to other kids? This is varsity basketball not the local Y. Best kids should play regardless of grade, relationship to coach whatever. I saw Staley run an entire offense through his kid and he wasn’t a quarter of the player Gabe is

Gabe Cupps is the best guard Centerville has right. Out of respect to other kids? This is varsity basketball not the local Y. Best kids should play regardless of grade, relationship to coach whatever. I saw Staley run an entire offense through his kid and he wasn’t a quarter of the player Gabe is
he might be, but I didn't see that after watching 1 game (remember 1 good drive)

Just an aside, and I am not referring to any players or coaches from this league in the last several years, when Staley was coach, there were several teams that could compete at the highest levels of the state: Beavercreek, Springfield, Wayne, CVille, and TWM. I hope that there is a a comeback with all of them.

he might be, but I didn't see that after watching 1 game (remember 1 good drive)

I'm guessing you did see that Wayne face guarded Cupps kid the entire game. Every single possession. Tell me you noticed that ??? Face guarded a freshman guard the entire game tells me the other team's coaching staff must have determined he's their best guard. Right ???

Three senior guards on the roster. Two of them played virtually the whole game. These two kids basically sat the entire season last year as juniors on a senior laden team. Now they start. Tell me you noticed that too?? The faceguarding worked cause those two other senior guards had 2 points combined on 1-10 shooting. Tell me you noticed that too. I think those senior guards play hard, are team guys and will contribute this year but this was basically their 2nd game of significant varsity minutes.

Two other junior guards who played last year on JV played in the game. Tell me you noticed that ??

So....who would be the other guards you speak of "out of respect of other kids" ? Three seniors started and were in the game at the end also.

Just an aside, and I am not referring to any players or coaches from this league in the last several years, when Staley was coach, there were several teams that could compete at the highest levels of the state: Beavercreek, Springfield, Wayne, CVille, and TWM. I hope that there is a a comeback with all of them.

Is getting to the regionals three times in five years and losing to the eventual state champs "competing at the highest level of the state" ?

Ville, Creek, Spring or Wayne never made it to Final Four of D1 "when Staley coached". Wayne made it and won it in 2015. With five guys that play/played D1 college basketball starting. Three who "transferred" in.

Is getting to the regionals three times in five years and losing to the eventual state champs "competing at the highest level of the state" ?

Ville, Creek, Spring or Wayne never made it to Final Four of D1 "when Staley coached". Wayne made it and won it in 2015. With five guys that play/played D1 college basketball starting. Three who "transferred" in.

Let me break this down for the simple minded that just cannot comprehend and it is not just you PP: the competition was a lot tougher during that time. That is the bottom line. I am done with that and I will not bring up the character development that does not occur especially for the most important player on the team in the biggest games of the year.

I'm guessing you did see that Wayne face guarded Cupps kid the entire game. Every single possession. Tell me you noticed that ??? Face guarded a freshman guard the entire game tells me the other team's coaching staff must have determined he's their best guard. Right ???

Three senior guards on the roster. Two of them played virtually the whole game. These two kids basically sat the entire season last year as juniors on a senior laden team. Now they start. Tell me you noticed that too?? The faceguarding worked cause those two other senior guards had 2 points combined on 1-10 shooting. Tell me you noticed that too. I think those senior guards play hard, are team guys and will contribute this year but this was basically their 2nd game of significant varsity minutes.

Two other junior guards who played last year on JV played in the game. Tell me you noticed that ??

So....who would be the other guards you speak of "out of respect of other kids" ? Three seniors started and were in the game at the end also.
relax Pistol Pete! I thought he might start as a varsity role player and earn that starting spot during the season. It will be interesting to see how the Elks do this year.

Last edited:
Let me break this down for the simple minded that just cannot comprehend and it is not just you PP: the competition was a lot tougher during that time. That is the bottom line. I am done with that and I will not bring up the character development that does not occur especially for the most important player on the team in the biggest games of the year.

Thanks for helping my two degreed simple mind, oh great omniscient one. My simple mind forgot that things HAD to be soooo much tougher to win back in those days and so much easier now. How else could that explain Cville's current success with Elite 8's and setting consecutive win streak record last season, right? Or Wayne winning a state title. Or Springfield winning multiple districts.

Please omniscient one....can you help me comprehend "no character development of the most important player in the biggest games"??? Does that occur at the beginning of the weeks of the "biggest games of the year". Like, "OK best player, lets go over that character development stuff this week since we have one of our biggest games". And "biggest games" implies more than one, so is that something that's marked on the calendar at the start of the season? And then when the team plays weak opponents, he doesn't need as much character? Enlighten me.

Thanks for helping my two degreed simple mind, oh great omniscient one. My simple mind forgot that things HAD to be soooo much tougher to win back in those days and so much easier now. How else could that explain Cville's current success with Elite 8's and setting consecutive win streak record last season, right? Or Wayne winning a state title. Or Springfield winning multiple districts.

Please omniscient one....can you help me comprehend "no character development of the most important player in the biggest games"??? Does that occur at the beginning of the weeks of the "biggest games of the year". Like, "OK best player, lets go over that character development stuff this week since we have one of our biggest games". And "biggest games" implies more than one, so is that something that's marked on the calendar at the start of the season? And then when the team plays weak opponents, he doesn't need as much character? Enlighten me.

Lol Wow This is great. What about your point guard from the past couple of years? He ran his mouth etc for his entire time being the man. Did anyone ever coach him in that regard? No. The evidence is him being expelled from the last game that he actually played. That was a tough lesson for the program.

The lessons should begin at home. The lessons with the program should begin in the first years. The lessons should continue through each season. I think that is how it should go. The fact that the kid had an attitude every game shows that his final game was not an aberration.

I don’t get you either Hardcorps. How can you argue with Centerville’s success under Cupps. Facts are facts. I don’t think the Dayton area looks particularly strong at the D1 level this year, but I suspect by season’s end Centerville will be the best D1 team.
Itkcman, yes, there were 2 freshman that I know of who played some minutes at the varsity level for the Centerville Elks, Ben Rhoda and AJ Hawk way back in 1999...coach Staley did not believe in putting freshman on the varsity because he believed that by starting them on the reserve team (today they call it junior varsity) the many minutes that they would get would be more beneficial than playing sparingly with the varsity. Rhoda and Hawk were so advanced in their development that they were often inserted into varsity games (even though their jv uniforms were different from the varsity) and were allowed to sit on the bench with the varsity after their games were over. Hawk never played basketball after 10th grade and Rhoda went onto become a 3 year starter, all time leading scorer, first ever Centerville all state basketball player and led them to their first ever regional finals game (lost to Columbus Brookhaven with 6 D-1 players and considered one of Ohio's best ever teams and the school does not even exist anymore) and in 2002 led the Elks in what is thought to be their best ever basketball team...

This makes him some kind of coaching genius? That’s what the vast majority of coaches do with good freshmen. Unless, they are as good as Cupp’s son. I’ve seen him several times. He’s ready now, but will struggle defensively.

Well at least post the facts

Williams grew up in Springfield but went to Wayne all 4 years of HS.
Wagner grew up in Yellow Springs but went to Wayne all 4 years of HS
Trice grew up in Springfield but went to Wayne all 4 years of HS.
Landers grew up in Miamisburg but went to Wayne all 4 years of HS.
Caldwell was the only player that “transferred in” his junior year the season after his brother graduated from Stivers. (Currently playing D-2 ball at Ashland University)