Gundy Apologizes

cjb56

Not for the mullet, but for “offending” his star RB and others on his team. He could have used his time to teach the team about free speech and how supporting the POTUS and news networks that don’t kow-tow to every BLM position doesn’t equate to racism. Instead, he took the cowardly route that will teach these young men nothing worth learning.

It’s going on all over and will only get worse. You cannot question anything about BLM, that’s makes you a racist. This is not good and if it escalates much further will not end well.

There are two facets to this that need to be addressed. First of all, Gundy is closer to his players than just about anyone other than these kids parents. This is his star player and he needed to placate the situation. It would be interesting to see how this would have gone if it was his 4th string tailback.

Now the second is the bigger, 10,000 foot view of this that so many people, mostly the young, continue to miss. Mike Gundy is a man, and he's not even 40 anymore, he's probably close to 50 now. But he's a man, who's near the top of his profession. OAN is a news organization. It's not the KKK or some or some incredibly insensible organization. Our young people, our folks standing for Black Lives Matter need to realize that while they can protest and make claims and have discussion, they can't muzzle the rest of the country. The hypocracy of this is that they are shouting down the very thing they want, equality and a chance to be heard.
Mike Gundy wore an OAN t-shirt on a personal fishing trip, he was not at an Oklahoma State fundraiser, he's not the president of OAN or anything like that. He was simply wearing a t-shirt, on a fishing trip. Probably even one of his B level t-shirts because he didn't want to get a good t-shirt all messed up by fishing. Kind of like a painting shirt.

So I give Gundy alot of credit because he defused this situation pronto. In fact it was being defused as it was becoming a story. Kuddos to him because most of us, and even possibly he could have easily told his star player to pound sand. I'm in my 50's, I would have never EVER dreamed of challenging a teacher or coach I had about something like this. We have a young generation that's out of control with their "feelings" and no way of combating their lives.

There are two facets to this that need to be addressed. First of all, Gundy is closer to his players than just about anyone other than these kids parents. This is his star player and he needed to placate the situation. It would be interesting to see how this would have gone if it was his 4th string tailback.

Now the second is the bigger, 10,000 foot view of this that so many people, mostly the young, continue to miss. Mike Gundy is a man, and he's not even 40 anymore, he's probably close to 50 now. But he's a man, who's near the top of his profession. OAN is a news organization. It's not the KKK or some or some incredibly insensible organization. Our young people, our folks standing for Black Lives Matter need to realize that while they can protest and make claims and have discussion, they can't muzzle the rest of the country. The hypocracy of this is that they are shouting down the very thing they want, equality and a chance to be heard.
Mike Gundy wore an OAN t-shirt on a personal fishing trip, he was not at an Oklahoma State fundraiser, he's not the president of OAN or anything like that. He was simply wearing a t-shirt, on a fishing trip. Probably even one of his B level t-shirts because he didn't want to get a good t-shirt all messed up by fishing. Kind of like a painting shirt.

So I give Gundy alot of credit because he defused this situation pronto. In fact it was being defused as it was becoming a story. Kuddos to him because most of us, and even possibly he could have easily told his star player to pound sand. I'm in my 50's, I would have never EVER dreamed of challenging a teacher or coach I had about something like this. We have a young generation that's out of control with their "feelings" and no way of combating their lives.
Agree with everything except for the end. Gundy could have made it a teaching moment, but you are right about why he reacted as he did. He needs his players.

Agree with everything except for the end. Gundy could have made it a teaching moment, but you are right about why he reacted as he did. He needs his players.
Gundy's main goal was to get it to go away...

I agree with the others sentiment that Gundy needed this squashed yesterday. Other teams will use this to their advantage come recruiting time. As I heard on some sports radio show yesterday 'Black recruits matter".
Full disclosure- I'm black, around Gundys age and lean left politically. Gundy can wear any t-shirt he wants on a fishing trip. Who dug that photo up? People looking up his or his friends social media?
But for the sake of arguement.. what if he was wearing a Sooner t shirt? It's his right. Would outrage be justified? I know it's not apples to apples, but I'm just saying.
The funniest thing is Gundy sounded like a hostage reading off that apology. I was waiting for his eyes to blink SOS

A lot of stuff coming out about a game Gundy played in while QB at Oklahoma State against Colorado where he used the N word on the field. There are old news paper accounts that have Colorado players on the record confirming this but of course he denies it happened. Reminds me of another more recent Oklahoma State QB allegedly using the N word during a game that lead to some controversy...

A lot of stuff coming out about a game Gundy played in while QB at Oklahoma State against Colorado where he used the N word on the field. There are old news paper accounts that have Colorado players on the record confirming this but of course he denies it happened. Reminds me of another more recent Oklahoma State QB allegedly using the N word during a game that lead to some controversy...
I never buy those old story rumors. Nobody has any proof from that time and it just sounds like they are piling on Gundy right now.

Same with the Myles Garrett thing. Was it said? Maybe, but doubtful. I played a lot of football in my life and I never once heard the N word on the field. Off the field and out in the world? Of course. But never on the field or the locker room.

I agree with the others sentiment that Gundy needed this squashed yesterday. Other teams will use this to their advantage come recruiting time. As I heard on some sports radio show yesterday 'Black recruits matter".
Full disclosure- I'm black, around Gundys age and lean left politically. Gundy can wear any t-shirt he wants on a fishing trip. Who dug that photo up? People looking up his or his friends social media?
But for the sake of arguement.. what if he was wearing a Sooner t shirt? It's his right. Would outrage be justified? I know it's not apples to apples, but I'm just saying.
The funniest thing is Gundy sounded like a hostage reading off that apology. I was waiting for his eyes to blink SOS
It was posted on social media by the fishing company Gundy must have used to charter the trip.

I never buy those old story rumors. Nobody has any proof from that time and it just sounds like they are piling on Gundy right now.

Same with the Myles Garrett thing. Was it said? Maybe, but doubtful. I played a lot of football in my life and I never once heard the N word on the field. Off the field and out in the world? Of course. But never on the field or the locker room.
Yeah, the point is no one can prove something was said or not said, so it’s not worth investing a judgment on.

Yeah, the point is no one can prove something was said or not said, so it’s not worth investing a judgment on.
These days you don't have to prove it. You just accuse someone and it's up to them to dispell it. Our world is upside down. Guilty until proven innocent.

Reactions: y2h
While OAN might not be “fair and balanced” it is not the KKK network.
But to the super megaphone twitter BLM-INC crowd, OAN is the KKK.
Spirit of the Age gentleman.
You either stand for your principles at the cost of anything or you kneel.

While OAN might not be “fair and balanced” it is not the KKK network.
But to the super megaphone twitter BLM-INC crowd, OAN is the KKK.
Spirit of the Age gentleman.
You either stand for your principles at the cost of anything or you kneel.
He is standing for his principles, his wallet.

Wtf is OAN

1593547581494.png