Grits Sugar or Salt?? What do you top your's with?

That's the cool thing about grits, they can be sweet or savory. But they are actually terrible for you, so no one should eat them.

That is not real grits, just a nasty corn paste.
I grew up on the real stuff...boiled, ground hog head, feet, scraps ect. with oats fried up with jelly and toast.

put a little Jam or maple syrup.... but here in west Central Ohio.... grits are made from a hog..... fry em up...... great breakfast!!!!!
Beat me to it.
I'll never forget when I went down south for the first time and ordered grits...wow, what a unbelievably disappointing tasteless pile of slop.
Their grits is just bad cream of wheat or something?

Last edited:
Pretty sure Southern grits are made from potatoes, and they should be eaten with butter, salt, and pepper. I prefer them like that, with a big ole' sunny side egg on top.

Butter, salt and pepper, crumbled up bacon.

I usually have my grits at Waffle House but recently had some at Cracker Barrell. They were terrible.

Beat me to it.
I'll never forget when I went down south for the first time and ordered grits...wow, what a unbelievably disappointing tasteless pile of slop.
Their grits is just bad cream of wheat or something?
if you ever have a chance to get some MEAT grits... got to try Winners... in Osgood

When Uncle Cecil butchered in the fall, always loved cracklins
That was a chore when I helped butcher as a youngster. Big pot over open fire. Dip half of hog into pot to scald. Then take a scraper and remove hair. Scraped the top layer so no hair wouldn't be in cracklns.

The process started by throwing corn on the ground in the pen. Position the 22 rifle perfectly on forehead. Has to be squarely placed. You want to drop the hog immediately when you shoot it. Bad shot and you have bad meat. Reach under the head and cut the throat to drain. They had a special knife. Had a pulley device to get hog hanging. I learned this when I was 12. Was a long day and then some. Hair in crackling was my fault.

That was a chore when I helped butcher as a youngster. Big pot over open fire. Dip half of hog into pot to scald. Then take a scraper and remove hair. Scraped the top layer so no hair wouldn't be in cracklns.

The process started by throwing corn on the ground in the pen. Position the 22 rifle perfectly on forehead. Has to be squarely placed. You want to drop the hog immediately when you shoot it. Bad shot and you have bad meat. Reach under the head and cut the throat to drain. They had a special knife. Had a pulley device to get hog hanging. I learned this when I was 12. Was a long day and then some. Hair in crackling was my fault.
Uncle Cecil saved the blood for an old German doctor in Richwood. He made blood pudding with it. Never had any until I was posted to Berlin years later.