Greenon QB Cade Rice to transfer to Northmont

Kids mom is moving back to Ohio so I will forgive him the transfer part. On the other part going from Greenon to Northmont, seems like that may invite trouble especially from a team chemistry standpoint.

not a great move for him. hearing Greenon has already prepared a pretty reliable signal caller to replace him. Northmont plays Pickerington North week 3, I hope he enjoys having the nations #1 prospect Jack Sawyer in his face. with that being said, this season will be a true team effort for Greenon, and excited to see how those boys respond!

So is his mom moving closer to Northmont than Greenon? Is that why the move or is a football move?

How good will Northmont be this year? I know they got the UM commitments, who else ?

I believe he will only be eligible for the first half of the season. Even with a change of residence. Unless the move is more than 100 miles from Greenon, or a family hardship is shown to be the cause.
i think the move was pretty obviously for football reasons.

Here’s the paragraph from the OHSAA by-laws.
There may be other circumstances that we are not aware of, so he may have a full season to play without sitting out half the season.

Attachments

• 20777DCB-DD86-44B4-8582-83472A0B01F2.png
    20777DCB-DD86-44B4-8582-83472A0B01F2.png
    675.7 KB · Views: 21
Here’s the paragraph from the OHSAA by-laws.
There may be other circumstances that we are not aware of, so he may have a full season to play without sitting out half the season.
i know Rice was living with his dad in the Greenon district ever since his mom moved to Florida. wouldn’t the custody agreement have to be changed in court then?

not a great move for him. hearing Greenon has already prepared a pretty reliable signal caller to replace him. Northmont plays Pickerington North week 3, I hope he enjoys having the nations #1 prospect Jack Sawyer in his face. with that being said, this season will be a true team effort for Greenon, and excited to see how those boys respond!
Dublin Coffman week two won’t be a picnic either . They held them to 7 points last year and sacked the QB a bunch of times and West Virginia recruit Hammond Russell had most of them and he’s back . Throw in 7 others returning including Minnesota signee OLB Devon Williams who had double digit sacks last year . We’ll see how good he is after a few weeks

Clearly for football. With a good Greenon team coming back, I am not sure I understand the move here. Outside of WR Allen, Northmont lost a lot on offense last year. To be eligible for the whole season, I believe his primary custody will have to transfer to his mother. What I don't know is how the OHSAA will look at if his father still lives in the Greenon school district. I think he would not be eligible for 2nd half of season & playoffs without a waiver approved?

Clearly for football. With a good Greenon team coming back, I am not sure I understand the move here. Outside of WR Allen, Northmont lost a lot on offense last year. To be eligible for the whole season, I believe his primary custody will have to transfer to his mother. What I don't know is how the OHSAA will look at if his father still lives in the Greenon school district. I think he would not be eligible for 2nd half of season & playoffs without a waiver approved?
You think it's clearly for football but yet you don't see football reasons? It's to live with his mom. Period.

Hope the transfer works out for the kid , except for week 2 that is . Before and after that ? Light it up young man

Honestly I don't think the OHSAA is going to get too caught up on transfers this year. I know this thread is about this particular player bit the transfer thread has becone mired in Massillon garbage like usual, but I have an interesting question. If the season does go on and one schools says they aren't going to play and another is can a player transfer from school A to play at school B? Technically his school isn't offering football so.....I this this is going to get pretty interesting.

Honestly I don't think the OHSAA is going to get too caught up on transfers this year. I know this thread is about this particular player bit the transfer thread has becone mired in Massillon garbage like usual, but I have an interesting question. If the season does go on and one schools says they aren't going to play and another is can a player transfer from school A to play at school B? Technically his school isn't offering football so.....I this this is going to get pretty interesting.

I don't think they'd let it get to that point....then again it's the rudderless ship called the OHSAA.

The precedent I’ve seen is if School ‘A’ (public) announces that it will not offer football for the upcoming season, a student who transfers to School ‘B’ (public) has had to sit-out half of the season.

Kids mom is moving back to Ohio so I will forgive him the transfer part. On the other part going from Greenon to Northmont, seems like that may invite trouble especially from a team chemistry standpoint.

Very hard situation to manage, assuming there was a solid QB1 already in place. Can be handled well though if the incoming is humble and competes and clearly is the QB1, but he has to win that room. Then its a big domino, the old QB1 usually can be the WR1 or WR2 or something. Each one of those flips into new positions is a domino of further chemistry issues. Some of the travelling schools are used to it, college kids are used to it, but very hard for HS communities.

The precedent I’ve seen is if School ‘A’ (public) announces that it will not offer football for the upcoming season, a student who transfers to School ‘B’ (public) has had to sit-out half of the season.
Unless the kid is already living in the district and attending a private that shuts down or closes a sport. Will be interesting if a privates drops its schedule will there be a flood of players to the publics in the district?

Very hard situation to manage, assuming there was a solid QB1 already in place. Can be handled well though if the incoming is humble and competes and clearly is the QB1, but he has to win that room. Then its a big domino, the old QB1 usually can be the WR1 or WR2 or something. Each one of those flips into new positions is a domino of further chemistry issues. Some of the travelling schools are used to it, college kids are used to it, but very hard for HS communities.
He's already won the room and is the clear QB1 as you put it

We really haven't had this precedent before. It is really no fault of the player if his school decides not to play. To me it would be as if the school doesn't offer the sport. It that case kids can play for a school that does offer it. Im not advocating mass exoduses but its something that would need to be figured out. Seniors especially, playing versus not playing could have a big impact on their futures. In short this whole thing is a mess.

We really haven't had this precedent before. It is really no fault of the player if his school decides not to play. To me it would be as if the school doesn't offer the sport. It that case kids can play for a school that does offer it. Im not advocating mass exoduses but its something that would need to be figured out. Seniors especially, playing versus not playing could have a big impact on their futures. In short this whole thing is a mess.
The precedent of a pandemic possibly threatening play— right, we haven’t.

The precedent of a public announcing they won’t be fielding a team— this happened in my county in 2018. Students who played for that public the year prior had to sit half the season when they open-enrolled into the neighboring district to play.

The precedent of a pandemic possibly threatening play— right, we haven’t.

The precedent of a public announcing they won’t be fielding a team— this happened in my county in 2018. Students who played for that public the year prior had to sit half the season when they open-enrolled into the neighboring district to play.
Got it. I wonder how many will opt out. You would think that they would already have a pretty good idea if they would want to play or not. Like I said, big mess