• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Greatest Running Back (Round 2): Barry Sanders vs Jim Brown
3 Barry Sanders 15,269 1989-1998
11 Jim Brown 12,312 1957-1965

bedevil

Brown and Sanders should have been the last two standing in this thread. In my humble opinion, the best two running backs ever. Who was the better back? I'll defer to Barry Sanders' own father who said Jim Brown was the greatest running back who ever played.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
When I saw that this was the second round matchup, I knew this would be a problem. Maybe YPC with a cutoff of at least 12,000 yards might have been better to use for seeding.

clarkgriswold

When I saw that this was the second round matchup, I knew this would be a problem. Maybe YPC with a cutoff of at least 12,000 yards might have been better to use for seeding.
Don't sweat it. The way you seeded them was a rational way to do it.

Stirred not Shaken

With Barry Sanders you did not know what you were going to get. 50 yd. run or a 5 yd. loss. With Jim Brown it was going to be at least a short yardage gain or a big powerful run ( think Earl Campbell only faster ). Barry Sanders is a cheetah, Jim Brown a lion.

cjb56

With Barry Sanders you did not know what you were going to get. 50 yd. run or a 5 yd. loss. With Jim Brown it was going to be at least a short yardage gain or a big powerful run ( think Earl Campbell only faster ). Barry Sanders is a cheetah, Jim Brown a lion.
Agree. Barry was prone to negative yardage plays, and benefited from playing in an NFL where passing was opened up far more than in Brown's era. Not to say that Barry wasn't amazing, because he was....but Brown wins this match-up, IMO. I will concede Brown played for contending teams his entire career, while the Lions were very average to bad in Barry's time.