Greatest games for St. Ed's

sehs

What are the greatest games (all sports) for St. Ed's? '93 Eds vs. Ignatius was a classic. As was '01 and '96 editions of the Holy War. The 70s had some great games too. Beating up on Steubenville in '73 along with that 20-20 tie with Benedictine. In '75 we completely dominated Warren Western Reserve on our way to that great title game against Moeller (our first heartbreak too) The '86 title game was a classic also. In basketball we beat Toledo St. John's on that buzzer beater in '02 and then lost to eventual state champ Brookhaven in OT both great games. This year we toppled Cleveland Heights and Canton Mckinley in great games. Tell of some games that I haven't heard about

One for the wrestling team. Midwest City in January of 1982. The Eagles crushed Midwest City after losing to them the previous year in the quad of champions. Freshmen 98lber David Carlin starts the Eagles off with a pin.

I heard about a game in the 60s when St. Joe's was #1 in the city and they came to play us. The gym was so loud for the rally that dust was coming down from the rafters. We went out and won the game. Didn't we play against Midpark in the '86 playoffs and they were going to "stop Williams, left, right, and up the middle"?

LOL, yes sehs. The Midpark coach was quoted in the PD saying that it wasn't to hard to figure out what St. Eds was going to do during the game..."Williams left, Williams right and Williams up the middle". Chris had 303 yards at half time and during the first possesion of the second half he was tackled behind the line for a loss, the Midpark player got in his face and said "Not this half Williams". Chris took the next carry 60yds to the end zone for I believe his 5th score and didn't play another down that game.

Pretty sure that was a 67 yard run to cap it off making it 368 yards and 6 TD's against Midpark.

The following week it was 295 yards and 4 TD's against Berea.

The 1994 Ed's/Walsh dual meet at Walsh was incredible. Hatta upsetting Plouse, Robert Huang pointing at the Walsh crowd after his win, Neider destroying Joey O'Neil. There have been a ton of other great duals, including the '03 St. Paris Graham one at St. Ed's.

What was the dual when Matt Ramser needed an upset win at Heavyweight and got it? Anyone remember details? Who he beat? who he was filling in for? How long after that was it that he got sick?

A couple come to mind which were not necessarily the greatest but were the most memorable games:

1970-71 Basketall team coached by Joe Mackey was loaded. Front line of Dan Briggs, Gary Lewis, and Frank Austin all 6'5 - 6'6 and Rod Dieringer 5'10 guard who could shoot the lights out. Pre-season scrimmage at Ed's against East Tech who had Fred Beamon, Jim Abrams, Lawrence Bolden. Won the state championship the year before. Scrimmage is supposed to be closed but a crowd shows up with the Brothers in attendance. Close game, Ed's pulls ahead. Abrams gets a T, don't remember if he got thrown out of the game. The crowd goes nuts. He turns to the Ed's fans and flips them off. I thought several of the Brothers were going to faint.

Later that same season, Canton McKinley is at Ed's, both teams undefeated. Tim Carras gets into a fight with one of the McKinley players and the fans from both schools flood the court. Total melee, fistfights, the whole works. Ed's eventually loses the game and finishes the season like 18-1, and then proceeds to lose the first tournament game to Westlake.

I have heard those stories over and over again spongebob. Those are some of the all time classics, especially the McKinley game. In fact I saw a picture of the fans rushing the court somewhere.

sehs95. The match was against North Allegheny and for the "mythical" national championship. Although Matt did not have a "stud" to wrestle he went out on the mat with the possibility of losing the meet...that is if he got pinned. Ferg told me this story. All Matt has to do is not get pinned and we win, so Ferg goes up to Matt just as he is heading out to the mat to wrestle and Ferg says to "Ram", just don't get pinned. Matt looks Ferg in the eyes and says "pinned? I'm going to win" and proceeded to win his match 7-3 or 7-4. I watched the video of the match a few months later and as Urbs would say "it gave me goose bumps". Matt was filling in for Tim Riley that match (who will have an Eagle in the class of 08').

It was shortly after that match (before the season ended) that they discovered at practice that Matt was having some unusual swelling in his leg.

That sounds like the '03 St. Paris Graham match where Chuck Koz went up against C.P. Schlatter, the 3 time and eventual 4 time state champ. All he had to do was not get pinned, he took Schlatter down twice even though he lost 8-4

sehs. That was another classic match and certainly one of the most enjoyable matches I have been to in recent years. I went to this past season's match with St. Paris also...and it was fun to watch the Eagles knock them off again.

Beating "the Class" this year in the regional final was amazing. 13-10 in OT. Defensive battle the entire game. They miss a FG with 2 seconds to go. The goal line stand right in front of our student section, the loudest part of the stadium. Kleinsmith nailing the 34 yarder to win it. It was all great.

I was standing at the top of the stands by the end zone where the Mentor kicker missed the game winner....I could not believe how close that kick was to making it over the cross bar.

It was awesome. The Parma police wouldn't let the fans rush the field so the team came over to them

Thanks for making me feel real old, EagleSE. Someone from the Class of '89 has a kid in school this fall? Geesh.

This year's State Final in Hockey was good. The 8-0 drubbing in a title game will be one to talk about in years to come.

In '02 the Soccer team beat #1 in the nation Mentor 1-0 on penalty kicks. That win has really put the soccer team on the map

Glasenap told us about a basketball game in the 60s when he was a student. I guess the Ignatius coach said we couldn't shoot free throws especially one of our guys. Well this guy gets fouled and goes to the line. He looks over to the Ignatius coach and lifts the ball with his right arm and nails the shot one handed. His second shot he nails with his left hand. The crowd went nuts

How about the Eagles first state hockey championship with a 1-0 win over North Olmsted on Kip Ramella's blazing shot from the Blue line late in the third period. The next five minutes of hockey was wild as North Olmsted tried like heck to get a goal and tie the score.

EagleSE said:
I think Adam hit a homerun in that game too!

EagleSE,

This makes for one of the funnier posts since you took over 10 months to respond. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It took you that long to research it or did Mr. Averill run into you. ;) :rolleyes:

Hey cut me some slack old man....lol. I haven't been on this forum for sometime. BTW, I went to that game. I think Averill hit it over the railroad tracks :)