Great News for a Mars Colony!

Life will be found everywhere in the cosmos:

New research suggests one of life's most important building blocks, a simple amino acid called glycine, can form inside interstellar clouds well before the emergence of stars and planets.

Scientists have previously detected glycine in the coma of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Stardust sampling missions have also turned up evidence of interplanetary glycine.

Until now, scientists thought significant amounts of energy were required for the formation of glycine and other amino acids -- the kind of energy produced by stars.

However, new experiments -- detailed Monday in the journal Nature Astronomy -- suggest "dark chemistry" reactions can produce glycine on the surface of icy dust grains without the assistance of stellar energy.

Its happening people:

Next week, Elon Musk's space-exploration company SpaceX will take a big step forward in its quest to fly people to Mars.

Musk tweeted on Tuesday that SpaceX's enormous Starship spacecraft – which the company eventually wants to use to get humans to Mars – will undergo its first high altitude test next week. This follows a successful test firing of the current prototype's engines on Tuesday.

Super_heavy-lift_launch_vehicles.png

This is neat technology:

Scientists have figured out a way to create and cancel magnetic fields from afar.

The method involves running electric current through a special arrangement of wires to create a magnetic field that looks as if it came from another source. This illusion has real applications: Imagine a cancer drug that could be delivered directly to a tumor deep in the body by capsules made of magnetic nanoparticles. It's not possible to stick a magnet in the tumor to guide the nanoparticles on their journey, but if you could create a magnetic field from outside the body that centered right on that tumor, you could deliver the drug without an invasive procedure.

I suspect there might be weapons applications to something like this.

Magnetars. Sound like a sat morning cartoon character.

College buddy studied stuff like this, researched for a Nobel prize winner. Crazy smart. Fairly normal.

Elon Musk is now confident humans will be on Mars by 2026. SpaceX's Starship will be able to carry up to 100 people plus cargo.

Call me skeptical. There are still far too many obstacles to be resolved and only six years to figure them out.

I do applaud Musk though. He's a big thinking genius and has helped revitalize our space exploration. Kudos.

We may get humans on Mars, but it's still decades away, IMO. I know some yappers will disagree with me.

Elon Musk is now confident humans will be on Mars by 2026. SpaceX's Starship will be able to carry up to 100 people plus cargo.

Call me skeptical. There are still far too many obstacles to be resolved and only six years to figure them out.

I do applaud Musk though. He's a big thinking genius and has helped revitalize our space exploration. Kudos.

We may get humans on Mars, but it's still decades away, IMO. I know some yappers will disagree with me.

My heart disagrees with you but my brain agrees. Musk's timing seems way to aggressive to me. But then again that there is a chance we could get people to Mars by 2026 is very exciting.

Like any research biz, it's pretty close to the vest what's in the pipeline. If there are no technical obstacles, the rest is logistics and funding. Other than 50's movies, we don't think of such a project launching from Earth. If he feels this rocket has what it needs to perform both functions, light it up!

The "on" Mars, I would think a bit of a stretch. More-so, the "off" Mars. I wouldn't presume that clock started ticking at the announcement but that they've been in preparation for some time. Who knows what problems they've already solved?

The path to Mars is well worn. Long term habitability is well worn. Landing and taking off has been done, but not under atmosphere. The rocket isn't the conventional design but put a bit of spin on it, they can have a gravity to Mars. Not sure what type of lander they could hope to have within five years that would be big enough for people and survive atmosphere. If they can launch a lander to space, have it come back to Earth and return to meet it's platform, that would give them a huge safety factor both in gravity and atmospheric survivability. If they manage that, I'd say they could make the Mars trip.

I mean, I assume the mission to Mars would including a landing but I guess it's more possible in 5 years they could go just to orbit around it for a little bit then return as a test of their rocket's life systems

I presumed you meant land, didn't think otherwise.

The expense? I think it's go all the way with the idea to land, first time. I hadn't considered really whether THAT rocket had the life-span. I'm sure Scotty will have a few repair parts but there has to be other wear and tear.

I assume they'll follow the Mars Direct plan of sending the shelters and supplies ahead in a separate ship and not take off here until it's confirmed all is well on that front. That makes the most sense. But that's not as challenging as keeping 100 people healthy in space for 6-8 months one way.

Makes sense, two ships min. I'm thinking really small people or shrinking ray.

Why would he want to start with 100 people? That's got murder-mystery written all over it.

Colony? That's a whole different movie. I'd want more than just supplies waiting for me. Agriculture and raw resources extraction and a way to turn them into useful things. And a still. Several stills. And a red light district. With a still.

I'm officially joining the "it's a stretch" crowd.

An astonishing updated map of the Galaxy:

And a cool video showing the movement of the stars within the galaxy. We sometimes forget that the entire solar system is moving through space:

For the record I disagree with this guy 100%. If SpaceX can get to and colonize Mars then Musk and company have every right to set up their own country and run it the way they see fit.