Great News for a Mars Colony!

A little over a year till the Webb telescope launch (finally). Thing was originally supposed to go up in 2007
Cross your fingers. The delays will be OK as long as they get it right. There is absolutely no room for error.

What amazes me is the Hubble Space Telescope orbits less than 350 miles from Earth, while the Webb Space Telescope is supposed to orbit anywhere between 230,000 and 930,000 miles from Earth. Big difference. When the Hubble telescope had a problem (the primary mirror was slightly polished wrong), NASA sent Space Shuttles to Low Earth orbit and had the astronauts space walk and fix it. NASA can't do that a half a million miles away from Earth (not to mention, no more Space Shuttles).

If successful, we'll learn a lot more about our amazing universe.

Fun read from the new Noble prize winner in Physics:

Der Spiegel? My Deutsch is a bit rusty. ;)

Interesting interview. Interesting universe. Still far more questions than answers. We probably know only about 1/googol (1/googolth?) of the answers. We truly are living in exciting times.

I've seen this movie before on Mystery Science Theater and it doesn't end well for us:

Still pretty amazing that we're landing on asteroids and bringing samples back to earth.

Location, location, location
10 quintillion dollars and this baby can be yours.
Asteroid
960x0.jpg

Would they be mining it in order to travel further out? Seems a long hall to bring it back here.

As for that rock, they can talk about the value but if it were anywhere near here and possible to bring the minings down here, I think the market would collapse.

Would they be mining it in order to travel further out? Seems a long hall to bring it back here.

As for that rock, they can talk about the value but if it were anywhere near here and possible to bring the minings down here, I think the market would collapse.

It's iron and nickel mostly. Could be used for a wide range of things. Who knows, Mars may end up being the Pittsburgh of the solar system

Last edited:
Interstellar space is far from empty:

This realm, marked only by an invisible magnetic boundary, is where Sun-dominated space ends: the closest reaches of interstellar space.

In this stellar no-man's land, particles and light shed by our galaxy's 100 billion stars jostle with ancient remnants of the big bang. This mixture, the stuff between the stars, is known as the interstellar medium. Its contents record our solar system's distant past and may foretell hints of its future.

Measurements from NASA's New Horizons spacecraft are revising our estimates of one key property of the interstellar medium: how thick it is. Findings published today in the Astrophysical Journal share new observations that the local interstellar medium contains approximately 40% more hydrogen atoms than some prior studies suggested. The results unify a number of otherwise disparate measurements and shed new light on our neighborhood in space.