Great Lakes Conference Changes

Has anyone else been hearing Fairview is leaving for the Chagrin Valley Conference and that Holy Name and Elyria Catholic are going to no longer be members? With Parma being split into Forge and Normandy this would make an 8 team league, which does makes sense. Thoughts? Anyone else hearing this?

There is too much smoke for that not to happen. I would guess that Fairview is taking the place of Lutheran West in the CVC Metro.

Holy Name and Elyria Catholic are cementing their being asked to leave by finishing 1-2 in the league in football and now are also 1-2 in the league in boys basketball, so probably the breaking point for them being welcomed.

Interesting. At one point the GLC posted looking for a new member in light of the Parma closure. However, the scenario listed getting them to eight teams does make a lot of sense. That is if Fairview is leaving and HN & EC are leaving (or being removed)

Word is Elyria Catholic applied to the Sandusky Bay Conference, but that was a month or so ago and I haven't heard anything since.

Crazy to think that close to a decade ago, Fairview was talked about as an option in the CVC to get the Chagrin division up to eight in football -- before they went out east to get that done. I don't know for sure how deep talks are about Fairview joining the CVC, or where they would fit given that there is a new alignment taking place for 22-23, but it's interesting that the talk is for them to be in a division along with schools like Brooklyn, Independence, and Cuyahoga Hts -- I know enrollment has shrunk in Fairview, but I'm not sure it's shrunk THAT much.

Crazy to think that close to a decade ago, Fairview was talked about as an option in the CVC to get the Chagrin division up to eight in football -- before they went out east to get that done. I don't know for sure how deep talks are about Fairview joining the CVC, or where they would fit given that there is a new alignment taking place for 22-23, but it's interesting that the talk is for them to be in a division along with schools like Brooklyn, Independence, and Cuyahoga Hts -- I know enrollment has shrunk in Fairview, but I'm not sure it's shrunk THAT much.
It has. Competitively, they probably would have only beaten Wickliffe in football this past season. I’m assuming Beachwood would shift back to the Valley Division and Fairview would be added to the Metro.

I also heard that Fairview was trying to start a new conference with teams like Independence, Cuy Hts, and Brooklyn but couldn't find enough teams to make a move.

I also heard that Fairview was trying to start a new conference with teams like Independence, Cuy Hts, and Brooklyn but couldn't find enough teams to make a move.
The Metro Division of the CVC is their best move. I've been anticipating it for awhile. The Lorain County League doesn't appear it will be shaken up anytime soon.

How about adding HN and EC to the Crown which currently has just 4 schools for football?
I could actually see Holy Name looking to the WRC before the Crown. They fall just outside of the WRC communities where they would be low risk of poaching athletes. They have a strong football program and are very competitive in girls sports.

I could actually see Holy Name looking to the WRC before the Crown. They fall just outside of the WRC communities where they would be low risk of poaching athletes. They have a strong football program and are very competitive in girls sports.
We know you're trying to find schools for the WRC, but Holy Name is a stretch of a stretch. They're not in a good location relative to the other schools and we all know how much trepidation publics have in admitting privates to their leagues, in general.

The Bay and Lake divisions of the Sandusky Bay each have openings, so EC applying there makes sense. But ultimately, if this realignment were to go through, HN and EC's only option is the Crown, which would essentially be a reboot of the late-90's NCL. Although with those two in it, Walsh would be a very odd fit, but that's another conversation for another thread.

We know you're trying to find schools for the WRC, but Holy Name is a stretch of a stretch. They're not in a good location relative to the other schools and we all know how much trepidation publics have in admitting privates to their leagues, in general.

The Bay and Lake divisions of the Sandusky Bay each have openings, so EC applying there makes sense. But ultimately, if this realignment were to go through, HN and EC's only option is the Crown, which would essentially be a reboot of the late-90's NCL. Although with those two in it, Walsh would be a very odd fit, but that's another conversation for another thread.
For the record, I said nothing about them being a perfect fit as you insinuated. I just made it clear my opinion differs from yours that the Crown Conference would be there next go to. BTW, the same can be said about location for the crown. NDCL is in Geauga and Lake is in Lake. Maybe you’re not familiar with Northeast Ohio?

and Lutheran West.
Not a bad idea. If the Crown were to kick out Walsh and be left with NDCL, Lake Catholic, and Padua, adding Holy Name and Elyria Catholic from the GLC, get Lutheran West if Fairview takes their spot, and then maybe add Cleveland Central Catholic and CVCA (once they bolt the PAC), that's a pretty solid league; especially for a bunch of privates that no one else seems to want to associate with for too long.

Not a bad idea. If the Crown were to kick out Walsh and be left with NDCL, Lake Catholic, and Padua, adding Holy Name and Elyria Catholic from the GLC, get Lutheran West if Fairview takes their spot, and then maybe add Cleveland Central Catholic and CVCA (once they bolt the PAC), that's a pretty solid league; especially for a bunch of privates that no one else seems to want to associate with for too long.

Is there talk of kicking out WJ? That would be quite interesting a league with five teams doing that.

It would be interesting see if the Crown bends on their past practice of only allowing Catholic schools in, or will they make an exception for LW or CVCA.

I hate this for EC. They are a small school that is super competitive (Obviously being private). They left the Catholic league because of the insane travel etc EC is not rolling in the dough also. I’ve always wanted them in the PAC now remodeled into the Lorain County League. They are similar size with all the schools but they would dominate in all sports. The Sandusky Bay is a decent fit with Huron Vermillion Edison Norwalk etc 20 mins west.

I hate this for EC. They are a small school that is super competitive (Obviously being private). They left the Catholic league because of the insane travel etc EC is not rolling in the dough also. I’ve always wanted them in the PAC now remodeled into the Lorain County League. They are similar size with all the schools but they would dominate in all sports. The Sandusky Bay is a decent fit with Huron Vermillion Edison Norwalk etc 20 mins west.
I don’t think the smaller schools of Lorain County would be a good home for EC. I thought the now defunct West Shore Confernce was a great situation for EC, though it didn’t last long. Ultimately, their best bet would be a league of fellow Catholic schools in NEO.

I've always heard the problem the Catholic schools have with CVCA being in a league was CVCA having a jr high school. I've never understood the argument as to why that matters but at some point it was an issue.

I've always heard the problem the Catholic schools have with CVCA being in a league was CVCA having a jr high school. I've never understood the argument as to why that matters but at some point it was an issue.
That would be a false statement, Gilmour has been a member of various Catholic conferences and they too have a middle school. I have always heard that it is CVCA that is resistant to being a member of a conference that is majority Catholic schools.

That would be a false statement, Gilmour has been a member of various Catholic conferences and they too have a middle school. I have always heard that it is CVCA that is resistant to being a member of a conference that is majority Catholic schools.
Thank you for clarification. I figured you would be someone who knew and would chime in. I think you are correct though. CVCA had a pretty rough spell from 2010-2016 and couldn't compete. I believe the circumstances are probably different now as CVCA has spent a ton of money recently upgrading the athletic facilities.

I talked to an admin who says there is movement on a private school league or Crown Conference expansion. I don't remember all the schools but I think it was EC, HN, Padua, LW, LE, CVCA, and VASJ were mentioned. Benedictine as well I believe.
How about Lake Catholic and NDCL who are current Crown members? The expansion to add HN, EC, LE, LW, and CVCA (and Benedictine if included in the discussion) would certainly benefit the current Crown members who only get 3 in-conference football games making for a lot of challenges with OOC scheduling. The challenge will be what to do with Walsh Jesuit who would be, I think, the only D2 school in a conference with the rest in D2 and D3. Another challenge would be the travel between Mentor and Elyria on a regular basis for the two schools on the opposite ends, but I'm not sure either has a better option. For a variety of reasons (and subjects on a myriad of other threads), it's clear that while we won't be seeing separated public and private playoffs, the trend is toward public-only and private-only conferences or privates as independents.

How about Lake Catholic and NDCL who are current Crown members? The expansion to add HN, EC, LE, LW, and CVCA (and Benedictine if included in the discussion) would certainly benefit the current Crown members who only get 3 in-conference football games making for a lot of challenges with OOC scheduling. The challenge will be what to do with Walsh Jesuit who would be, I think, the only D2 school in a conference with the rest in D2 and D3. Another challenge would be the travel between Mentor and Elyria on a regular basis for the two schools on the opposite ends, but I'm not sure either has a better option. For a variety of reasons (and subjects on a myriad of other threads), it's clear that while we won't be seeing separated public and private playoffs, the trend is toward public-only and private-only conferences or privates as independents.
This right here does seem to be building momentum. Circling this all back to the GLC. Is there a sense they want to move on from HN and EC? Is there a push by the public schools to vote them out? Or is it those schools that want out?

This right here does seem to be building momentum. Circling this all back to the GLC. Is there a sense they want to move on from HN and EC? Is there a push by the public schools to vote them out? Or is it those schools that want out?
In the case of the GLC, I think it was both a push of want and convenience. I think the publics wanted to get the two private schools out but needed a reason. They briefly looked at expansion to replace Parma HS. But only LW was willing to join. So they decided to contract to an 8-team conference.

Yes, at the time I posted I wasn't exactly sure who was in the crown conference. They may very well be part of the conversation.