Graduation parties

mcm.1019

My high school seniors (twin boys) are graduating HS in 2 weeks and I was wondering if other parents are planning grad parties? My other kids had their parties at my parent's house in the country...rented a tent...bonfire at night...started at 3pm and went into midnight or so. Are banquet halls even open and able to host parties right now? My boys missed out on alot this year and we'd love to have a party, but I wonder if people would even show. Any suggestion an alternative would be appreciated.

If a graduation party fails bc of corona virus maybe at the end of summer you could do a combined graduation/good bye send em off type party for college.

Had one buddy do his grad party at the end of summer before everyone left. One of the better parties I had been to up that point bc it was all our buddies last hoorah before college and new friends

Talked to my sister about this today. Our graduation parties were probably the main thing we enjoyed about the whole graduating experience. And were the last times we got to spend with our entire group of friends. Some left for boot camp, some jobs and others college. Now we only really see each other at funerals. Morbid but the truth. It also added a few bucks to the wallet.

Personally, I think we're at such a disagreement in society that I don't think I'd host one in these current times. Never thought about the Farewell Tour Arrogate mentioned but I'm in full support.

Talked to my sister about this today. Our graduation parties were probably the main thing we enjoyed about the whole graduating experience. And were the last times we got to spend with our entire group of friends. Some left for boot camp, some jobs and others college. Now we only really see each other at funerals. Morbid but the truth. It also added a few bucks to the wallet.

Personally, I think we're at such a disagreement in society that I don't think I'd host one in these current times. Never thought about the Farewell Tour Arrogate mentioned but I'm in full support.
Yeah the key is framing it so the kids still get money bc it a "graduation party". Hopefully Corona cases will be down with the warmer climate and they can have the party they want, as opposed to the limited options in hosting and possibility of people not showing up. By August hopefully some of those fears would be gone you wont have to worry about people not showing up.

My high school seniors (twin boys) are graduating HS in 2 weeks and I was wondering if other parents are planning grad parties? My other kids had their parties at my parent's house in the country...rented a tent...bonfire at night...started at 3pm and went into midnight or so. Are banquet halls even open and able to host parties right now? My boys missed out on alot this year and we'd love to have a party, but I wonder if people would even show. Any suggestion an alternative would be appreciated.

I would stick with a Party at your Parents. Just would consider Mid to late June for the Date if works for your family. Should be fairly easy to “keep distance” out in the country. Not sure how many older folks would show up but I’d bet tons of teenagers would. Congratulations and best of luck to your Twin Boys!

If a graduation party fails bc of corona virus maybe at the end of summer you could do a combined graduation/good bye send em off type party for college.

Had one buddy do his grad party at the end of summer before everyone left. One of the better parties I had been to up that point bc it was all our buddies last hoorah before college and new friends

Gonna have a talk with mom here sometime about why this wasn't an option 21 years ago. Probably one of the better ideas I've read about in a long time.

We have just received a bunch of cards saying “we won’t be having a party, but here is our address if you would like to send a card and congratulate the grad.”

We align our kids graduation parties with an annual family function in late July to get the most relatives to show up; a by product is the kids all tend to show up too as there is not as many parties scheduled for the same time. Works out well and we will be doing the same this year if things are opened up.

On a side note I remember graduation party season back in the early '80s fondly, because of the 18 drinking age for 3.2 beer there use to be kegs at all the parties and I remember tossing a few back with the girlfriends relatives at her party. No big deal and there were good times for all. Could you see that these days?

We have just received a bunch of cards saying “we won’t be having a party, but here is our address if you would like to send a card and congratulate the grad.”
I have a feeling we might be headed this route. Spoke to my mom and she's not really into hosting a party at her place, and I completely understand given that she's in her late 70s. My son said one of his friends is having a "drive by" party where you can kind of speak to the grad briefly and drop off a card/gift.

No graduation parties. Don't even ask your mom, your answer should be no on behalf of your mom.

Stinks but that is the way 2020 goes.

The banquet business is dead. banquet hall owners are just bunkering down studying how/if they can recover in 2021.

I had a send-off party like this as opposed to a graduation party. It was a great time and I still did well with the gifts and cards (cash). My daughter is graduating and we are throwing this around as an option for her.

Drove past an outdoor high school graduation party today. Lots of people, no social distancing or masks that I could see.

With social media and the need for businesses to do everything they can, you can put together a grad party in a couple of weeks easily. Most of ours were moved to July / August. Many grad parties were during some of the chilly evenings of May, now it will be in the heat of July/ August. A different summer indeed!