GOTW Hubbard at Poland

sportster4321

Hubbards young squad travels to Poland to face the Bulldogs. Poland is 3-1 coming off a blowout win over Lakeview. Hubbard is 4-0 coming off a convincing win over rival Girard. Poland is the clear cut favorite. They have experience and size. A deadly combo. Hubbard may have the best player on the field in Caffey but you have a one man show and beat Poland. Looking forward to a close game. I think Hubbard can hang but will have to play mistake free ball... Or else.

Lets talk about the front line for Poland and do they move bodies and does Poland have a passing game and if not it will be run against run and who wins in the trenches!! I really don't think this young Hubbard squad is going in there thinking they will get beat

Lets talk about the front line for Poland and do they move bodies and does Poland have a passing game and if not it will be run against run and who wins in the trenches!! I really don't think this young Hubbard squad is going in there thinking they will get beat
I have more confidence in this year's Hubbard team than I had in last year's team even though this is such a very young team.

Going into the Poland game with a lot of confidence which is a good thing!! Need to come together as a defensive unit and grind it out in the trenches.....

Hubbard is definitely the underdog, Poland's OL is huge and there aren't many teams that can withstand the beating they dole out for four quarters. Hubbard is very young and although they have come together quicker than most have thought their inexperience will show this week. Better days are ahead! Poland 35 -14

Hubbard is definitely the underdog, Poland's OL is huge and there aren't many teams that can withstand the beating they dole out for four quarters. Hubbard is very young and although they have come together quicker than most have thought their inexperience will show this week. Better days are ahead! Poland 35 -14
They are know doubt some big mobile boys!!

The one receiver they have can change a game on both sides of the game, if they do throw it then it’s to him. The Qb rollouts give a young team fits when it’s by surprise

If both SR and Hubbard win this week, both would be undefeated for the NE8 Championship next week...that would have be a good GOTW. It will likely be Mooney and Ursuline though. Plus, both could lose so...

If both SR and Hubbard win this week, both would be undefeated for the NE8 Championship next week...that would have be a good GOTW. It will likely be Mooney and Ursuline though. Plus, both could lose so...

Hubbard will need everything to go their way against Poland to win, that’s not a knock on Hubbard either, poland is just very good and Hubbard is very young

Hubbard's combined opponents record 3-13 = not good.
Their offense is either run TC or qb keeper with a little motion mixed in. Poland knows this and if Hubbard wants to stay in the game they need to implement slants and screens . Fake one way and flairs to Caffey. TC needs the ball in space.

Their offense is either run TC or qb keeper with a little motion mixed in. Poland knows this and if Hubbard wants to stay in the game they need to implement slants and screens . Fake one way and flairs to Caffey. TC needs the ball in space.
Completely agree. And the tools are their to do it. Going to take a hell of a game plan. The coaches have done a good job the last few years being creative on offense vs good defenses. Last year was a mulligan because of lack of skill. I think Hubbard can and will open up the playbook a little bit. Poland is Poland. Always well prepared and as soon as you figure the run out they hit you with a perfect screen on third down that goes for a big gain. Nothing special. Just very good at it.

I was able to get to Poland/Niles Game. Poland O Line is huge. I wrote their numbers down because I wanted to see how long they were going to be around. Lol

77 6’5 315 Senior
73 6’1 265 Sophomore
51 6’4 280 Senior
70 6’2 270 Junior
63 6’3 280 Junior

A few good backs #26 who is only a Sophomore and quick, and #23 who is a senior. QB #1 can run both by design and scramble. #2 is athletic WR who can move well in space.

I will enjoy this one on TV on Friday Night!

Friday cant come soon enough.... A passing game would help Hubbard setup some screens, quarterback rollouts to keep Poland honest....Running game just alone wont do it

Last edited:
Haven’t been able to see Poland play yet. I know they’re big up front and run the ball well. They did lose to SR on some big plays. I’m not sure if they still have problems on defense and special teams. I’m hoping the problems were because they lost practice time due to Covid shutdown and are corrected.

I think that if there’s problems that are still there that Hubbard will be a team that is able to exploit them.

Don't get me wrong. Scoring on Poland would be essential but the recipe for Hubbard will begin on defense. If Hubbard can't get stops especially early, this one can get away fast. Poland is a experienced team, who I'm guessing doesn't give the ball away to much. Hubbard had another 2-3 turnovers vs Girard. A team like Poland is going to capitalize on that. This is still a team that returned most of their players from a semi final run. Hubbard is going to have to be a thorn in the bulldogs side. Bend but don't break defense, convert third down, and win special teams. That's a tall task for a young team.

Poland is a very good team. Big, good skill and well coached. It will be a tall order for the Eagles. However, if I am Hubbard, I would want to play the best and see where I stand. Its not like Hubbard is going to just show up for an kicking and take it. Hopefully, this will be a very good High School football game to watch.

On an another note, this is a true testament on how good the NE-8 is!

Without a doubt Hubbard's schedule so far has been weak at best. In a way though, this just might have benefited this very young Eagle team by getting well needed experience before getting into the meat of their schedule.

At least I hope so...

Not
Without a doubt Hubbard's schedule so far has been weak at best. In a way though, this just might have benefited this very young Eagle team by getting well needed experience before getting into the meat of their schedule.

At least I hope so...
Not to mention a confidence booster. You beat Struthers at home which regardless of youth is a quality win. Lakeview and Jefferson wins are expected. But beating Girard convincingly, snapping a two game losing streak to the Indians is great for this young team.

Not

Not to mention a confidence booster. You beat Struthers at home which regardless of youth is a quality win. Lakeview and Jefferson wins are expected. But beating Girard convincingly, snapping a two game losing streak to the Indians is great for this young team.
Isn't this why you play the game for? To be in a big game? I believe that Hubbard expected to be 4-0 or at worst 3-1 at this point in the season. To open up with Struthers and winning a tough game means something. I also believe that SR caught a break by playing Poland when they did. They didn't have doubles or a scrimmage going up against a well coached team. Realistically, it should be a 4-0 vs 4-0 matchup this Friday.

I talked to my Buddy that's the defensive backs coach for the Eagles and he said they have a really good game plan for the Bulldogs and he said they are ready for the challenge so we will see!!

Hubbard Eagles vs Poland Bulldogs

2001 N Poland 21-14 OT 2nd rd. of D-III, R-9 playoffs at Austintown Fitch

2005 H Hubbard 23-13

2006 A Hubbard 29-24

2007 H Poland 24-13

2008 A Poland 24-14

2009 H Poland 24-13

2010 A Poland 16-7

2011 H Poland 37-31

2012 A Poland 28-6

2013 H Hubbard 30-24 OT Both teams were 7-0 and state-ranked H-3, P-5

2014 A Hubbard 54-28 Both teams were 4-0 and state-ranked H-1, P-6

2015 H Poland 35-7 Poland was 9-0, Lost to Canfield next game

2016 A Hubbard 17-7

2017 H Poland 26-7

2018 A Hubbard 17-0 Hubbard is 9-0

2019 H Poland 42-7

Poland leads series 10-6-0.

Total points: Poland – 353; Hubbard – 289.

Lowest total points – 17 in 2018

Most total points – 82 in 2014

First shutout in series – 17-0 in 2018

Note: In 2001, Hubbard was 11-0, Poland was 10-1.

Didn't want to see thread get buried